what do you think of this advice about soldering iron tips?

Old June 15th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default what do you think of this advice about soldering iron tips?

wrote:
You got it started when you said that an 800 tip would solder twice as
fast as a 700. You can't prove that in the least. So now I s'pose that
when you are soldering 12" a second with that 700 degree tip on that
Weller that you say you don't use or promote and then you put the 800
in there...well now, you're going to solder 24" in a second. Dunno
Dennis....if it looks like smoke and smells fishy....

Come visit our shop and we'll demonstrate high speed soldering. No
problem. Any of the crew here can do it. All it takes is a little
practice to get used to soldering faster - then you can dumpster all
your 700 tips - unless you're teaching - they're still okay for
beginners.
http://www.debrady.com/contact%20us/contactus.html

Dennis Brady

Victorian Art Glass - http://www.victorianartglass.biz
DeBrady Glass - http://debrady.com
Glass Campus - http://glasscampus.com

Old June 15th 06, 09:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

YIKES....we've been attacked by the nitpickers again!!!

hahaha..
you guys are SOOOOO much freakin' fun!

who needs TV??

nJb wrote:
You didn't say "high speed soldering". You said "twice as fast"

Jack

Old June 15th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Next, he'll be claiming he has a 1600F tip and, thus, has eliminated the
need for foil, lead, and solder. He'll just be "speed fusing" and if you
work fast enough, anealing won't be necessary and the profits will soar.
He'll be sold out clear to the next millenium in classes teaching this
revolutionary idea. What a guy!

Screw the 900F tip! I want that new 1600F one! I'd even go all the way to
Canada for the class!!!

Old June 16th 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
oups.com...

Moonraker wrote:
"JK@work" wrote in message
Despite what any
manufacturer tells you, most original tips will never need to be

replaced.
The iron will be dead before the tip goes. IMHO

Unless, of course, it is a 900F tip, then all bets are off. ;)

If used daily, a 900 Weller tip will only last a few months.
Regularly replacing them is a small price to pay for the huge time
savings. I figure an 800 tip solders at twice the speed of a 700, and a
900 at twice that speed. Some artisans don't care how long a job takes
- others like to expedite the work to accelerate the income.

Maybe, no probably because you dip your tips in flux. I use only water,
and I have tips that last for years.

--

JK Sinrod
www.sinrodstudios.com

Old June 16th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Glassman" wrote in message

Maybe, no probably because you dip your tips in flux. I use only water,
and I have tips that last for years.

Yeah...but you don't use your iron at supersonic speeds, either.

Old June 16th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
oups.com...

Soldering iron tips should be kept cleaned and tinned. Regularly
wiping them off with a wet sponge or damp cloth will keep them clean.
Although some recommend against it,

******we routinely clean our tips by
dipping them into liquid flux while we're working******.

That's why your tips get thrown out so quickly.

Old June 16th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Glassman wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Soldering iron tips should be kept cleaned and tinned. Regularly
wiping them off with a wet sponge or damp cloth will keep them clean.
Although some recommend against it,

******we routinely clean our tips by
dipping them into liquid flux while we're working******.

That's why your tips get thrown out so quickly.

--

JK Sinrod
www.sinrodstudios.com

A trivial price to pay for easily keeping tips perfectly clean.

DeBrady Glass - http://www.debrady.com

Old June 16th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
oups.com...

but when operated with a low flame and used carefully is
exceptionally good at soldering lead seams on still vertically
installed leaded windows.

I suppose you can also demonstrate your anti-gravity device to keep hot
solder from running downhill on that vertically installed window?

It's use is demonstrated in our
repair/restoration classes.

Classes? Classes? You mean it takes more than one five minute session
for you to teach what you know about repairs? Bwahahahaha!