Fusing Glass Discussions

Old June 2nd 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default Fusing Glass Discussions

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Hi nJb

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 09:40:29 -0600, nJb wrote:

Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Hmmm - never thought of that !
I must admit that the price of kilns is quite staggering for what they
are.... but then, the same could be said of a lot of things....

Anybody on here followed the 'diy' route - any experiences ?
I could buy a lot of glass for the 750 Uk Pounds ! g

Thanks
Adrian

Try he http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/xmissionbobo/my_photos

I built this one for around $2200 and I think that included $500 for the
welding machine.

Phew - that's some kiln !
Though I did see a bigger one on holiday on the Amalfi Coast in Italy
- they were using it to fire enamel onto granite (?) tabletops - which
were from 4 ft round up to 4ft x 8 ft......

Anyway - very interesting. - thanks !

My kiln is 56 Amps. I read the meter one evening, loaded two large 1/4"
float glass pieces to be slumped, and then read the meter in the
morning. Electrical usage for my entire house and kiln during that
period was less than $3.

I should be picking up a 4'x8' Denver Bell Kiln soon. The price is too
good to pass up.

--
Jack

bobo1148atxmissiondotcom

http://www.glassartguild.com/gallery/jack_bowman
Old June 2nd 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Hi again

Adrian Brentnall wrote:

[...]

That sounds very good.
Electricity must be fairly cheap over there - presumably it's running
off 3-phase....

The place we're moving from in the UK is wired for 3-phase - only one
phase has a meter connected, though I rather suspect the that previous
owner used to play tricks with the other two phases..... g

I should be picking up a 4'x8' Denver Bell Kiln soon. The price is too
good to pass up.

What a beast !
Presumably it fires like a smaller kiln - but slower ?
I guess if you are firing a piece of glass that big you'd need to take
it a bit gently anyway.....

Tell me - on a larger kiln (as in 14" - larger than my baby paragon)
would you expect to get a more even heating inside the kiln.

I ask because I'm always loading the little shelf with rows of pendant
pieces - only to find that the stuff at the back has fused perfectly -
but the stuff near the front-opening door needs to go round again.

I've been doing some kiln-carving - and a square piece of glass that's
been slumped is noticeably trapezoidal after slumping - wider at the
front where it's cooler and narrower at the back where it's hotter.

If things were more uniform in a larger kiln then I could maybe sell
off the little SC2 to part-fund the new one.....? what do you think ?

I'll go to bed tonight & dream of 8ft x 4ft kilns - sad eh ?? g

Thanks
Adrian
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Old June 2nd 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Oh, you might also want to ask for references of other happy customers.
That shouldn't be too long of a list.
It would be especially entertaining to have a list of those on this news
group who have done business with Dennis. Anybody? anybody at all?

Ask that question on the warm glass board. Our kiln sales average
about one each day. We regularly ship kilns, belt sanders, glass, etc.
to Europe and Australia. We're just now consolidating a shipment to
South Africa and working out prices to ship a mix of tools and cases of
glass to Norway. Our market is international with a list of happy
customers worldwide.

Old June 2nd 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
oups.com...

Oh, you might also want to ask for references of other happy customers.
That shouldn't be too long of a list.
It would be especially entertaining to have a list of those on this news
group who have done business with Dennis. Anybody? anybody at all?

Ask that question on the warm glass board. Our kiln sales average
about one each day. We regularly ship kilns, belt sanders, glass, etc.
to Europe and Australia. We're just now consolidating a shipment to
South Africa and working out prices to ship a mix of tools and cases of
glass to Norway. Our market is international with a list of happy
customers worldwide.

Ummmhuh. Off yer meds again, ain't cha?

I think you've been counting your kiln sales like you figure electrical
costs....forgetting to divide by a thousand again.

You are peddling Covington sanders. Explain to me why anyone would buy from
a middleman when they can buy direct from the mfg. at a similar cost. Why
would anyone in their right mind want to do business with a lunatic crackpot
who is the laughing stock of the stained glass world instead of dealing
directly with the manufacturer and getting some truthful answers? Only
answer I can come up with is that they are dumber than you are. Hopefully,
that gene pool will soon get a well-deserved splash of Clorox.

I've been to the Kansas City Stockyards on sale day. Even they don't have
as much bull**** to scoop as we do after you start spewing all over a
thread.

Old June 2nd 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

You are peddling Covington sanders. Explain to me why anyone would buy from
a middleman when they can buy direct from the mfg. at a similar cost.

Look up the prices on Covington's website. Compare them with the
prices on the Victorian Art Glass website. Do the same with Aim kilns.

Dennis Brady

Victorian Art Glass - http://www.victorianartglass.biz
DeBrady Glass - http://www.debrady.com
Glass Campus - http://www.glasscampus.com

Old June 2nd 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
oups.com...

You are peddling Covington sanders. Explain to me why anyone would buy

from
a middleman when they can buy direct from the mfg. at a similar cost.

Look up the prices on Covington's website. Compare them with the
prices on the Victorian Art Glass website. Do the same with Aim kilns.

I'd gladly pay the extra $30 on a sander just to avoid having to deal with a
lunatic like you.

Old June 2nd 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 14:14:18 +0100, Adrian Brentnall adrian-the
papers and the wrote:

Hmmm - never thought of that !
I must admit that the price of kilns is quite staggering for what they
are.... but then, the same could be said of a lot of things....

Anybody on here followed the 'diy' route - any experiences ?
I could buy a lot of glass for the 750 Uk Pounds ! g

Adrian

Way back in 1959 we were building small melting furnaces at the then
BGIRA in Sheffield out of dexion slotted angle and 2800IFB. Because we
were after 1450C, we used Morgan Crusilite silicon carbide
single-ended elements in an array of 12, suspended from the top. This
allowed them to be changed from various combinations of
series/parallel to another as they aged and the resistance increased.
For your temperatures simpler radiant heating tubes would be better.

For control we used old Honeywell slide-wire controllers, and a relay
to switch a resistance in and out of the circuit, with an
autotransformer (Variac) to adjust the voltage applied. Nowadays you
can get simple Eurotherm electronic controllers for a very low cost.

The one thing that could cause problems is having a muffle casing if
you want it. We slip-cast and fired our own in a gas-fired furnace.

You can do a lot with a box of bricks and some bits of kit.
--
Terry Harper
Old June 3rd 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Moonraker wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

You are peddling Covington sanders. Explain to me why anyone would buy

from
a middleman when they can buy direct from the mfg. at a similar cost.

Look up the prices on Covington's website. Compare them with the
prices on the Victorian Art Glass website. Do the same with Aim kilns.

I'd gladly pay the extra $30 on a sander just to avoid having to deal with a
lunatic like you.

There is treatment for your problem.
http://www.athealth.com/consumer/dis...Psychotic.html

Old June 3rd 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
oups.com...

I'd gladly pay the extra $30 on a sander just to avoid having to deal

with a
lunatic like you.

There is treatment for your problem.
http://www.athealth.com/consumer/dis...Psychotic.html

How original.

Brady is a lying psychopath. Read him if you want to, respond to him if you
want to, but understand that he's a congenital liar as well as a classic
troll and posts to this group solely to elicit responses and fan flames. He
actually gets off on other people's negative responses and lacks the balls
to actually be a rapist or a serial killer and lacks the talent to be a
glass artisan, so he takes the virtual reality route. This is the only way
he has of attracting attention or eliciting any kind of response to himself
at all.
My guess is that he's an ugly, pimply assed, pencil necked little geek with
no real life and whose only source of gratification is sitting in the glow
of his monitor and stirring **** on message boards for people he knows he'll
never have to stand up to in person, no matter how many glowing testimonials
he posts for himself.

Old June 3rd 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

[...]

psy·cho·path ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sk-pth)
n.
A person with an antisocial personality disorder, manifested in
aggressive, perverted, criminal, or amoral behavior without empathy or
remorse

Craft of Stained Glass Work Vintage manual 1928 FA JaneyP Glass 0 March 4th 06 10:22 PM
Advice on kiln for small projects involving glass fusing and enamelling. Robyn Glass 13 January 5th 06 01:40 PM
SGG [email protected] Glass 2 December 7th 05 12:58 AM
Glass fusing classes in Fort Worth TX area Sue Seibert Glass 2 May 18th 04 01:51 PM