Rheostat

Old May 1st 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default Rheostat

Why no rheostat with the weller?

Old May 1st 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Jeff Diebolt" wrote in message
Why no rheostat with the weller?

The Weller 100 Pro has temp controlled tips, avail at 700*F, and 800*F
temps. There may be another temp available, too.

A controller would serve no purpose. The iron itself does the controlling,
much more accurately than a controller ever could. My iron is ALWAYS 700*F,
never 1000 or 1200, so when I pull it out of the holder, I know exactly
how the solder is going to react to the iron and the joint.

Old May 2nd 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

600 & 900 deg tips are also available for Weller 100 irons.

Old May 2nd 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
ups.com...

600 & 900 deg tips are also available for Weller 100 irons.

Send me a 900, I can never find them...

--

JK Sinrod
www.sinrodstudios.com

Old May 2nd 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
ups.com...

600 & 900 deg tips are also available for Weller 100 irons.

As usual, you spew more dis-information and bull****.

According to Weller's web page, 600/700/and 800*F tips are available.

No mention is made of 900* tips.

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...m?upc=03710347
4261

Old May 2nd 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Graham at Cat's Glass in St Catherines Ontario advertisea 900 deg
Weller tips for sale. I believe Glass Smith in Victoria BC also sells
them.

My stock is not for sale. Getting another batch from Weller requires a
much larger order than I'm prepared to make. At one time our shop used
only Weller irons (exclusively with 900 tips) but we have switched to
now use mostly Hexacon 175 watters that run at 960 deg.

The only difference between working with a 700 tip and a 900 tip is you
need to learn to solder faster using higher heat. We use the Wellers
with 900 tips for lead and 3D models - the Hexacons for everything
else. Why spend 30 minutes with a 100 watt iron when you can complete
the job in 10 minutes with a 175 watt one? I estimate the cost of a
Hexacon is recovered in less than a month in time savings.

Old May 2nd 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Your ignorance of the availability of 900 tips isn't my concern.
Sometimes I wonder if you really are as stupid as you appear or you
just love to pick fights.

Are you related to George Bush?

Old May 2nd 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
oups.com...
Graham at Cat's Glass in St Catherines Ontario advertisea 900 deg
Weller tips for sale. I believe Glass Smith in Victoria BC also sells
them.

Not for Weller 100 pro. They aren't made.

My stock is not for sale.

If I didn't have any, I wouldn't want to sell them, either.

Getting another batch from Weller requires a
much larger order than I'm prepared to make.

What? Big shot international distributor, can't afford inventory?
BWahaaahahah!

Why spend 30 minutes with a 100 watt iron when you can complete
the job in 10 minutes with a 175 watt one? I estimate the cost of a
Hexacon is recovered in less than a month in time savings.

You are so full of crap.

Old May 2nd 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

HI Moon

On Mon, 1 May 2006 16:03:40 -0400, "Moonraker"
wrote:

"Jeff Diebolt" wrote in message
Why no rheostat with the weller?

The Weller 100 Pro has temp controlled tips, avail at 700*F, and 800*F
temps. There may be another temp available, too.

A controller would serve no purpose. The iron itself does the controlling,
much more accurately than a controller ever could. My iron is ALWAYS 700*F,
never 1000 or 1200, so when I pull it out of the holder, I know exactly
how the solder is going to react to the iron and the joint.

I'm sorely tempted by the Weller 100-watter.
Currently I use a 75w (non-tc) Weller, but it suffers, as you'd
expect, from getting too cool too often when in use - or too hot when
it's sitting in the stand - eats bits, too.

The only thing stopping me is the cost g
Yet again, we over here in the UK seem to be paying over the odds for
equipment - xe.com reckons that the Dollar to UK pound exchange rate
is about 1.8 to 1 - and yet something like the Weller 100 costs about
the same over here in Pounds as it does over there in dollars....!

I have 240 - 110 transformers in the studio - I'm inclined to import a
110V USA iron and some spare bits (also 'pounds for dollars') and go
that way.....

In another life I worked in electronics, and the difference between
using a non-temp-controlled iron and the 'standard' Weller 50W
temp-controlled iron was astounding.... - in terms of reliable
soldering and consistency of temperature, also bit life.

Trouble is - I'm still saving up for that wet-belt sander.....g
(only joking !)

Regards
Adrian
Suffolk UK
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Old May 2nd 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Adrian Brentnall" adrian-the papers and the wrote
in message ...

wrote:

[...]

http://www.stainedglasswarehouse.com/

I've bought quite a little bit from these people. If you get on their
mailing list, they have a "private" monthly sale. This past month they had
the Weller 100 on sale for $58, (~33GBP)so I ordered a spare and some tips
along with some replacement tips for a couple of Inland irons I carry in my
truck.. I don't know about their international policies or the like, but
they do respond immediately and ship promptly.

I don't understand the obsession with high temp iron tips. As long as the
thermal mass of the tip is sustainable at a temp great enough to melt solder
at 560*F, what is the point of the overkill in temp? Using a 1000*F tip
proves nothing. Except I guess Brady gets some testosterone buzz from
beating his chest and making everybody think he has enough business that
"saving" 20 minutes on a project is somehow important. As if....