OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

Old February 20th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

My English grandparents wouldn't dream of putting milk in tea, they always
had lemon. The same went for their English friends but I've known other
Brits that used milk. So I believe it's whatever you prefer.
I just found my recipe for Bean Stroganoff. It's a great meatless meal that
DH really likes - it replaces beef with mushrooms and pinto beans.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old February 20th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article .com,
"Tina" wrote:

I have discovered that I am a tea addict. Have loved the stuff for
ages, but have discovered recently that I must have my afternoon tea.
About 2 in the afternoon, if I haven't started the tea kettle for a
English Teatime or a Constant Comment... I start to lose steam and feel
a bit sluggish!

question #1. Dh and I are having a bit of a tit-a-tat as to true
"English" tea. He swears "with lemon" - I'm sure my friend from
England told me a spot of cream. I'm just one dollop of honey
myself, but have discovered lately that I like the occasional spot
of cream in my tea. So which is it?

I've never heard of anyone putting cream in tea - milk is usual here,
most often low-fat. I detest milk in any form so I just have tea
very weak and with nothing in it - I prefer green teas or at any rate
less-than-dark-brown ones.

Tea consumption in the UK has been in steady decline for years.

Old February 20th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article .com,
"Tina" wrote:

So before DH gets home and wants my weekly grocery list......you guys
got any swell ideas or answers?

TIA and Hugs,
Tina

I cannot help you with the tea issue but here are a couple of our
favorite crock pot dinners.

marcella

------

Crock-Pot Chicken Jambalaya

6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs 1/2 lb kielbasa, sliced
1 can undrained chopped tomatoes 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1/2 C chicken broth 1 t oregano
1 t cajun seasoning 1/4 t cayenne pepper
1 onion, chopped 1 stalk celery, chopped

Put everything into the crock pot and simmer on low for 6 hours.

Add 3/4 C raw rice and continue to simmer for another hour.

Carmelized Onions

3 lbs. sliced onions
1/2 C butter or oil
1 t salt

Place ingredients into a slow cooker and cook on low 10 hours or until
onions are a deep golden brown. Cool and refrigerate up to 4 days.

French Onion Soup

Carmelized onions 1 bay leaf
1 can beef broth 1 t thyme
1 can chicken broth sliced french bread
grated jack or swiss cheese salt and pepper to taste

After making the carmelized onions in the slow cooker, add broth and
seasonings. Simmer on high while you make the toast.

Place sliced french bread on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 until golden.

Ladle soup into oven safe bowls and top with toast. Cover toast with
grated cheese and place in oven. Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly.

French Dip Sandwiches

3 lb chuck roast 1 can beef broth
1 pkg onion soup mix 1 t worchestershire sauce
French sandwich rolls

Place meat into crock pot. Mix together broth, soup mix and
worchestershire sauce and pour over meat. Cook on high 6-8 hours.
Remove meat and strain sauce. Shred meat with a fork and place onto
warm rolls. Serve jus separately for dipping.
Old February 20th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Oh Tina! Never cream, dear me no g
Tea with cold milk is the most English method (and the milk *must* go in
first: there is actually a slight chemical difference if it goes in
afterwards).
Tea with lemon is most acceptable with earl Grey and other scented teas.
Russian tea is definitely with lemon.
However you drink your tea, enjoy it, and *always* boil the water - not
just hot. It makes a world of difference. If you use good tea, it
won't have a bitter tannin taste. I almost always use Ceylon tea - a
golden tea, with no bitterness. If you are not too keen on the bergamot
scent of Earl Grey, Lady Grey is slightly less pungent. Also, a mix of
Earl/Lady Grey with Ceylon is lovely. If you haven't tried a bergamot
scented tea for relaxation, please do have a go, you can really feel
your head un-crinkling!
..
In message .com, Tina
writes
I have discovered that I am a tea addict. Have loved the stuff for
ages, but have discovered recently that I must have my afternoon tea.
About 2 in the afternoon, if I haven't started the tea kettle for a
English Teatime or a Constant Comment... I start to lose steam and feel
a bit sluggish!

question #1. Dh and I are having a bit of a tit-a-tat as to true
"English" tea. He swears "with lemon" - I'm sure my friend from
England told me a spot of cream. I'm just one dollop of honey myself,
but have discovered lately that I like the occassional spot of cream in
my tea. So which is it?

question #2. What is YOUR favorite cold weather food item? I've run
out of meal plan ideas this week and quite frankly I'm tired. If it
would work in the crock pot or in a big dutch oven, that would even be
a plus. We've already had:

stew
chili
split pea soup
corned beef and cabbage - which I started in the crock pot yesterday
morning before Billy and I left for the day. The corned beef didn't
have enough fat in it, and I didn't add enough liquid (counting on the
fat) so the cabbage burnt! Can you say GeeeeROSSSSSS! Nothing smells
worse than coming home to a house that reaks of burned cabbage! BLEK!

So before DH gets home and wants my weekly grocery list......you guys
got any swell ideas or answers?

TIA and Hugs,
Tina

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 20th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

OOOOOOOOOOHhhHhhh Marcella! A woman after my own heart! My absolute,
all time favorite! French Onion soup and a french dip! I'm so
spoiled, I never would have dreamed of making that at home! That's
usually my LaMadelaine treat!

Guess it's time to try it myself in my own kitchen! Thanks for sharing
your recipes!

Hugs,
Tina

Old February 20th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Gosh Tina - I don't really have a "recipe". I start with low sodium beef
broth, add some V8 juice, some roasted garlic, pepper, onions, always
some sliced carrot and cut up broccoli tops, always some kidney or
garbanzo beans, italian parsley, a little fresh rosemary, sometimes some
frozen cut green beans, some corn, and then whatever looks good in the
produce dept. Zucchini, maybe a cubed red potato or two, a stalk or two
of celery, whatever blows your skirt. My mom puts little, tiny,
bite-size meatballs (already cooked) in hers. Towards the end, ad some
pasta - elbow mac, I like spirals, or even some penne. Serve with some
fresh grated parmesan cheese on top, and some good, crusty sourdough
bread spread with olive oil and more parmesan and browned under the
broiler. A caesar salad too if you're really hungry. Hope this helps...

Hugz
Patti in Seattle

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater,
suggest that he wear a tail."
…Fran Lebowitz…

Old February 20th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

QUICK ITALIAN SOUP

1 Pound ground beef

1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)

1 package Hamburger Helper mix for lasagna

5 cups water

1 can (16 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained

1 can corn

1 small zucchini, chopped, (about 1 cup)

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Cook ground beef and onion in 4 quart stock pot or Dutch oven, stirring
frequently, until beef is brown. Drain. Stir in Sauce Mix, water, tomatoes,
and corn. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; reduce heat. Cover and
simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in Noodles and Zucchini.
Cover and cook 10 minutes longer. Sprinkle each serving with grated Parmesan
cheese (if desired.)

*Substitute green beans, spinach or other greens for zucchini depending on
what is available and who is eating it. Add yellow squash or garbanzo beans
for a slightly different taste.

--
-- Kellie
kjbeanne at yahoo dot com

Old February 21st 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Oh Patti! You make me wish I could come enjoy a spot of tea with you! I'm
not really a tea drinker, but I think you could convert me.
DD has started drinking more tea after her teaching stint in Scotland. She
was "homesick" last week after we went to a program at our cultural center
of "The Pipes, Drums and Highland Dancers of 1st Battalion
The Black Watch and the Band of the Welsh Guard". She came home and had tea
right after. What an enjoyable program!
KJ

"Patti" wrote in message
Oh Tina! Never cream, dear me no g
Tea with cold milk is the most English method (and the milk *must* go in
first: there is actually a slight chemical difference if it goes in
afterwards).
Tea with lemon is most acceptable with earl Grey and other scented teas.
Russian tea is definitely with lemon.
However you drink your tea, enjoy it, and *always* boil the water - not
just hot. It makes a world of difference. If you use good tea, it won't
have a bitter tannin taste. I almost always use Ceylon tea - a golden
tea, with no bitterness. If you are not too keen on the bergamot scent of
Earl Grey, Lady Grey is slightly less pungent. Also, a mix of Earl/Lady
Grey with Ceylon is lovely. If you haven't tried a bergamot scented tea
for relaxation, please do have a go, you can really feel your head
un-crinkling!
.
In message .com, Tina
writes

Old February 21st 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I can't help you with the tea. There is something in hot tea that makes me
extremely nauseous. I have tried all the herbals and things like that, and
they all make me sick. I can drink ice tea just fine. My doctor told me
one time what it was, but I have forgotten it.

This is a great recipe, and is extremely easy:

Easy Swedish Meatballs

1 package frozen meatballs
grape jelly
catsup

Place frozen meatballs in crockpot. Combine equal amounts of grape jelly &
catsup. Pour over meatballs and cook on low for 4-6 hours. I know this
sounds like a strange combination, but it is delicious!

Sherry Starr

oups.com...