About Us

Old October 14th 03, 06:25 PM
Renee Clark

Default About Us

While googling trying to learn more about our Mesue (wish I had a chance to
get to know her), I came across a thread from 2000 in which RCTQ'ers
introduced themselves in detail. I've come on board since then (September of
'02), and I'm sure many others have too. Might be worth doing again for the
sake of those who are a bit newer. I'll go first, in the hope that some of
you will follow suit.
Blessings
Renee
Name: Renee Clark

Home: Tancook Island, Nova Scotia, Canada

Occupation: Baptist minister

Age: 26

Past Lives:university student with some odd summer jobs, including frozen
novelties distributor (Dickie Dee biker!), special needs inclusion worker,
alzheimer's support, retail... Anything to pay for that English Lit degree!
Anthing more to pay for the Masters!

Family: Single. Mom's about 5 hours from here, Dad died this past February.
DSis and BIL (and DNephew, age 12), B and SisIL and all the respective QI's.

Food:Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. Also Pepsi, vanilla ice cream,
cheesecake, and turkey dinner - but not all at once.

QI's: Paisley (9 y.o. terrier mix), Simon and Sonny (1 y.o brother cats),
Mr. Fish (as the name implies!).

Machine(s): Kenmore bare-bones basic, a floor model I bought about 7 years
ago. No bells or whistles, but a good workhorse. Tempted by a serger, but
haven't bitten yet.

Quilting For: About 3 years. I took a class at the local fabric store
because they had a kittycat quilt on display... and caught quilt disease.

Quilt Assembly Preference: rotary cut (if it can't be rotary cut, I ain't
interested! LOL!), machine pieced, then either machine QITD, or sent out to
be hand-quilted. Haven't mastered FMQ.

Quilt Style Preference: ABA - anything but APPLIQUE!

Colour Preference:rose, green, cream, Thimbleberries prints

Skill level: I call myself an 'advanced beginner'.

Posting/Reading frequency: Read almost daily, post roughly weekly.

Interests other than quilting/fabric fondling/S.E.X.: Reading (magazines,
novels, mystery, how-to), animal rescue, cross-stitch, tole painting, Celtic
music, digital photography, exploring little side-roads, spending time with
friends, bargain-hunting.

Pet Peeves: Laws that are soft on those who mistreat children and animals -
we have to have a license to drive a car and a permit to build a shed in the
backyard, but anyone who is biologically able can have a child and anyone
with a few dollars can walk out of a pet store with an animal. Oh, and there
are also those people who chatter away in the movie theatre and sneak
through the express checkout with more than 10 items. But it's the creeps
who hurt their children and pets that really get me.

TV Shows: ER, 7th Heaven, Sugar, old reruns of Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman and
80's sitcoms.

Drive A: 1994 Eagle Summit Wagon (a mini-mini-van!)

Favorite Quote:"If I can stop one heart from breaking / I shall not live in
vain. / If I can ease one life the aching / Or cool one pain / Or help one
fainting robin / Unto his nest again, / I shall not live in vain." - Emily
Dickinson

Old October 14th 03, 11:01 PM
Sharon Harper

G'day y'all! Here's me!

Name: Sharon Harper

Home: Dingley Village, Victoria, Australia

Occupation: Juggler (keeping everyone's balls in the air)....er I mean

stay at home mum....but I'm never home

Age: 32

Past Lives: Secretary/Personal Assistant to various tyrants and one really

great boss whom I regret leaving, fully qualified travel consultant who
couldn't find a job in travel (too old and not enough experience)

Family: Married to a great DH (Wayne) with 2 DDs. My parents living in

NSW, DH's round the corner.

Food:Chocolate, cheesecake, roast dinners, stir frys

QI's: merlot (8 y.o. Australian Multicultural Domestic Longhair), Jimmy

(12 week old Jack Russell Beagle X),

Machine(s): Gerty Werty, A 20 year old Wertheim 341F, an old Singer from

the 50s I think.

Quilting For: About 2 years. Wanted something to do while DH restored an

old car - haven't looked back since

Quilt Assembly Preference: rotary cut, machine pieced, then hand-quilted.

Haven't mastered MQ.

Quilt Style Preference: Anything but nothing tooo hard!

Colour Preference: Blues, Greens, purples, Bright, pastel - you get my

drift! LOL

Skill level: I call myself an 'intermediate beginner'.

Posting/Reading frequency: Read several times daily, post just as much.

Interests other than quilting/fabric fondling/S.E.X.: Reading (magazines,
novels, mystery,romance,historical, how-to), digital photography,

exploring little side-roads, spending time with friends, bargain-hunting.

Pet Peeves: Child abusers, animal cruelty, bad drivers, people who smoke

and blow the smoke over others, mobiles in restaurants, people who can't
separate work and play (ie DH)

TV Shows: CSI, CSI: Miami, Blue Heelers, DIY Rescue, Movies!.

Drive A: 1998 Hyundai Sonata Levant

Favorite Quote: If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. If you

still don't succeed have the courage to say "Stuff it" and move on! - A
Sharonism

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html
"Renee Clark" wrote in message
While googling trying to learn more about our Mesue (wish I had a chance

get to know her), I came across a thread from 2000 in which RCTQ'ers
introduced themselves in detail. I've come on board since then (September

of
'02), and I'm sure many others have too. Might be worth doing again for

the
sake of those who are a bit newer. I'll go first, in the hope that some of
you will follow suit.
Blessings
Renee

gently snipped

Old October 14th 03, 11:36 PM
Kathy Applebaum

Name: Kathy Applebaum

Home: Sacramento, California (but I spend all my daylight hours in
Woodland)

Occupation: paint store owner / longarm quilter

Age: 39. Really.

Past Lives: Actuarial Analyst (brownie points to anyone who knows what that
is!)

Family: DH, no sibs. MSM died last year, Dad is doing his best to drive me
crazy.

Food: Dark chocolate, Vietnamese, and veggies.

QI's: Shadow - 15 year old lab mix. Bird Brain - 18 year old cockatiel

Machine(s): Janome 4014, Janome 5014, Janome MC4800, Gammill Classic I/S 2K
turbo

Quilting For: Started in elementary school, took a break, then started up
again several years ago.

Quilt Assembly Preference: machine, machine, machine

Quilt Style Preference: innovative, art, modern. I like new twists on color
and design.

Colour Preference: all of them

Skill level: Piecing - moderately advanced. Quilting - professional

Posting/Reading frequency: Way too often. I really should be working
instead.

Interests other than quilting/fabric fondling/S.E.X.: Huh? (Well, okay,
exploring cool places in California and Western Canada, genealogy, the Sims.
Does airbrushing fabric and hand dying count?)

Pet Peeves: Let's not go there. There's only so much bandwidth, and I don't
need to get riled up today.

TV Shows: Mr. Monk, Courage the Cowardly Dog, California's Gold (Huell just
*cracks* me up!)

Drive: 1998 Honda Civic (the MirthMobile), 2004 Lexus RX330 (The
BluesMobile)

Favorite Quote:"Experience is what lets us recognize a mistake when we make
it again" and "If you do it once, it's a mistake. If you do it several
times, it's a design option."

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old October 15th 03, 12:02 AM
Sandy Foster

Name: Sandy Foster

Home: Henderson, NV, USA (next to Las Vegas)

Occupation: retired high school French teacher. Temporarily supervising
student teachers/practicum students for UNLV -- but I'm quitting soon! I
like being retired.

Age: 55 -- and I wouldn't go back! g

Past Lives: all sorts of things, from telephone solicitor (ugh!) to bank
teller to secretary.

Family: DH, two grown DDs and their DHs. 3 DGSs, aged 4 1/2, 2 1/2, 2
1/2 (nope, not twins, cousins!). DT (twin sister) lives in France with
her family

Food: Varied tastes, but a definite sweet tooth.

QI's: Dexter, 8 year old lab-chow mix; and Tuppence, 3 year old cocker.
(See them on my web site g.)

Machine(s): Bernina 1260, Featherweight, Singer 99-K handcrank.

Quilting For: about 25 years. Yipes! How time flies!

Quilt Assembly Preference: machine pieced, either hand or machine
quilted.

Quilt Style Preference: Mostly traditional, some variations.

Colour Preference: blues and related colors, brights, pastels, batiks,
etc. Almost anything except the "drabs".

Skill level: Intermediate?

Posting/Reading frequency: Daily! Except in rare circumstances.

Interests other than quilting/fabric fondling/S.E.X.: Reading --
fiction, mostly.

Pet Peeves: I'll skip this one -- don't want to get upset. g

TV Shows: Movies, Monk, Boston Public, Law & Order, The Practice, lots
of others

Drive A: 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix

Favorite Quote: You put me on the spot with this one -- I can't think of
it! (No, that's not the quote!)

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
my ISP is earthlink.net
Old October 15th 03, 12:08 AM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

Name: Leslie (and Furbabies in MO)
Home: West Plains, MO, USA (Home of the Gammill quilting machines)
Occupation: Former accountant- now disabled with arthritis,
fibromyaglia, post-polio syndrome- and a few others...
Age: 53
Past Lives: reserve police officer; equestrienne; former mom- now good
friend to my 2 sons; quilting teacher (off and on)
Family: Divorced.... again. Parents in AZ; DS, DDIL and 2 granddarlings
in NH; and DS, DDIL and 1 granddarling in MO
Food: Salads, fruit and yogurt is what I eat (lost 80 lbs. this year- so
far! YAY!) milk chocolate, cheesecake, mint chocolate chip "extra thick"
milk shakes, pastrami sandwiches, baked potatoes with all the trimmings
and prime rib is what I love!
QI's: Missy (7 y.o. Golden Retriever), Barney (8 y.o. Golden/Old English
Sheepdog cross), Mojo (10 y.o. Blue Heeler cross- male), Puddy Cat (15.5
y.o. black long hair cat- male) and Buttercup (5 y.o. calico- female)
Machine(s): Janome 4800 Quilter's Companion, 1924 Singer Model 66
treadle, 1950 Singer 15-91
Quilting For: 15 years
Quilt Assembly Preference: rotary cut, machine pieced using all speed
methods, machine quilted- also, machine applique' of any style
Quilt Style Preference: simple and fast for bed quilts, currently
dabbling in landscapes and thread work
Colour Preference: green and orange (not necessarily together)- am
collecting "nature" looking prints for the landscape quilts
Skill level: Advanced- and fearless in trying anything quilt related
even inventing a few myself!
Posting/Reading frequency: Read everything, don't post for very many
happy dances, post when I have something to add or say, like to post
oddities and jokes
Interests other than quilting/fabric fondling/S.E.X.: Read- a lot-
mostly mysteries and dog "psychology" type books--- and quilt
books/magazines to get inspirations and ideas
Pet Peeves: Cruelty in any form visited on anybody or any creature.
People who don't drive as well as *I* do!!! vbg
TV Shows: Sex in The City, House Hunters (well, most anything on HGTV)
Drive A: big, bad Dodge quad cab pick-up truck- silver- which I LOVE!!!
Favorite Quote: changes from day to day, but today I like: At my age
"getting lucky" means finding my car in the parking lot.

Leslie

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life... they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old October 15th 03, 12:08 AM
Louise

Okay, I'll join in . . .

Name: Louise Nieland

Home: Marion, Iowa

Occupation: Executive Assistant

Age: 53 (but just barely)

Past Lives: Well, I worked at the Dairy Queen and the concession stand at
the pool while I was in high school, and I had a short stint at a fabric
shop, but other than that, it's been nothing but office work.

Family: Married for nearly 25 years (and all of them happy!), three
stepchildren, three stepgrandchildren

Food: Nearly anything that comes out of the ocean, salmon, and asparagus

QI's: Tipper, an 11-year-old mixed breed puppy

Machine(s): Viking #1+

Quilting For: 24 years; I took a class through the Officers' Wives Club and
have had a quilt in process ever since.

Quilt Assembly Preference: Machine piece (or hand applique), hand quilt
(but about to learn to machine quilt!)

Quilt Style Preference: No preference -- I like 'em all

Colour Preference: Right now it's purples, yellows, and dark greens, but
that will change with the seasons.

Skill level: I think I'm probably an intermediate.

Posting/Reading frequency: Read several times daily, post sporadically

Interests other than quilting/fabric fondling/S.E.X.: Country music,
working with the local food pantry, currently helping DH campaign for mayor
of our city, babysitting my niece and nephew, reading (but lately all I've
had time for are Jennifer's books!)

Pet Peeves: I'm trying to overcome them and be more understanding, but I'm
not being very successful! At work, it's people who continually want the
company to give them more, more, more while they work hard to do less, less,
less. In my non-work life, it's people who are just plain rude.

TV Shows: ER, Joan of Arcadia, NYPD Blue, CSI, West Wing, Hawkeye Football,
and almost anything on HGTV

Drive A: 2002 Chevy Explorer; 1991 Buick Riviera

Favorite Quote: I honestly can't think of one right now.

Old October 15th 03, 12:25 AM
AliceW

You figure out what pension plans and insurance policies will be worth so
they can be used in divorce settlement discussions.

--
Alice in NJ
www.ourcyberfamily.us

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
news
Mmmmm.. I love brownies... even with points. You used to make charts for
insurance companys.. showing the potential of certain events to occur..
Do I win?
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
.. .

Old October 15th 03, 12:43 AM
Anne

Name: Anne Rudolph

Home: Los Altos Hills, California – just next door to Palo Alto

Occupation: currently part-time Receptionist for Weight Watchers

Age: 57

Past Lives: Art Historian, then Medical Reference Librarian, then Computer
Networks Technician.

Family: DH, two grown and married DDs, DS just off to college, 2 GDSs, MSM and
Himself live in upstate NY; also have one DB, one SIL, 2 DS(isters), 2 BIL, 6
nieces and one nephew. Did I forget anyone?

Food: chocolate (duh!), salmon and asparagus.

QI's: 8 year old chocolate (duh!) Labrador Retriever named Java the Mutt

Machine(s): Singer 348 that I got in 1968, just in time to start sewing baby
clothes for DD#1.

Quilting For: started about 35 years ago, lots of long breaks to do other
things, but always come back to quilting.

Quilt Assembly Preference: Rotary cutting, machine piecing, machine quilting
(SITD, nothing fancy). I used to do hand appliqué and may get back to it again.

Quilt Style Preference: traditional pieced.

Colour Preference: browns, rust, autumn-y shades, blues, greens

Skill level: advanced beginner

Posting/Reading frequency: read daily, often twice or thrice daily; post less
often.

Interests other than quilting/fabric fondling/S.E.X.: genealogy, reading –
mysteries, Elm Creek stories, Sci Fi (especially Robin Cook g)

Pet Peeves: too many to list. I have become a grumpy old lady.

TV Shows: West Wing, Law & Order, Sex & the City

Drive A: 2003 Mini Cooper S, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Favorite Quote: "Successful dragon slayers choose their dragons very carefully"

--
Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl Crow

Old October 15th 03, 01:15 AM
Kathy Applebaum

Woo hoo -- another Monk fan!

I'd answer you in French, but it's been 22 years since I lived there.
(Aack!!!)

Old October 15th 03, 01:15 AM
Kathy Applebaum

"AliceW" wrote in message
You figure out what pension plans and insurance policies will be worth so
they can be used in divorce settlement discussions.

Fifteen brownie points!

Actually, most of our work was pension valuation (if your employer says they
will give you 75% of your pay when you retire, I had to figure out how much
money to put in this year to fund the accrued liability, then the actuary
signed off on it.) But since I was the best in math in the department (aka
the biggest geek), I also got to do all the QDRO's. What fun -- knowing your
work is going to be scrutinized by two attorneys who don't understand
arithmetic, let alone higher math.