what do you think of this advice about soldering iron tips?

Old June 19th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default Changed {was: what do you think of this advice about soldering iron tips?

Steve Ackman wrote:

Yours is in teal. njb is in red. Looks like color
to me. (If you were using a real newsreader, you could
set different colors to different nest depths as well.)

Done.

define 'real newsreader'...... as opposed to what??

is there a choice? i joined through google groups...
was there another way to do it?

Steve...i LOVE the change!!!
sheesh...

Old June 19th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

In .com, on 19 Jun
2006 09:10:00 -0700, wrote:

Steve Ackman wrote:

Yours is in teal. njb is in red. Looks like color
to me. (If you were using a real newsreader, you could
set different colors to different nest depths as well.)

define 'real newsreader'...... as opposed to what??

A newsreader connects to a news server, which is
how all these articles are propagated. Usenet is in
no way affiliated with Google Groups, which is, most
simply, a parasitic web site that copies all the posts
from usenet and repuplishes them on the web.

Usenet is... Well, let's do this the easy way...
(obviously, make a mental substition of rec.crafts.glass
for alt.coffee)
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...4b5137e?hl=en&

is there a choice? i joined through google groups...
was there another way to do it?

Use a news reader to connect to a news server.
USUALLY, your ISP provides a news server for you to use.
Not being able to read turkish, I don't know for certain,
but there IS a machine named news.ttnet.net.tr so I'd bet
a Chinese dinner that you can connect with that address.

As to newsreaders... You're using Firefox, so there's
no embedded news capability with that. If you were using
Mozilla, there's a built-in newsreader, albeit not
particularly user friendly in the eyes of this Unix geek.
Thunderbird is apparently the Firefox e-mail sidekick
which also has support for news, so that might be a good
bet for you... similar look and feel, I'd imagine.
http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/

If you'd like to try something outside the typical Windows
user's experience, something like slrn (the one I use) might
appeal to you (screenshot on my machine):
http://wizard.dyndns.org:1234/slrn.article.png
(screenshots from people with too much time on their hands):
http://slrn.sourceforge.net/pictures.html
(home):
http://slrn.sourceforge.net/
(looks like they don't have any Windows binaries though... pity)
Old June 20th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
oups.com...

nJb wrote:

The glass pipes are selling well?

Not where I live...the only ones buying are stupid tourists..
what do they know?

ar.

Any customers with money aren't stoooopid in my book.

--

JK Sinrod
www.sinrodstudios.com

Old June 20th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Glassman wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

nJb wrote:

Any customers with money aren't stoooopid in my book.

try living in an area where tourism is the ONLY way to earn money...
your opinion will change rapidly!

fortunately, my village has no tourism, but two villages over (6 miles
from here)
they get 'day trippers'...people ONLY visit once because the experience
is too
traumatic.

so i guess you'd have to say that tourists aren't all that stupid after
all...
if they return after the first experience, then they are stupid!

(if interested, check out 'Assos' at your search engine)

arlene
south of Troy (and i don't mean NY)

Old June 20th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

so why on earth did you decide to settle in such an inhospitable place? just
curious??? m
wrote in message
ups.com...

Glassman wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 20th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

michele wrote:
so why on earth did you decide to settle in such an inhospitable place? just
curious??? m
wrote in message
ups.com...

not at all inhospitable!!! infact, it's VERY hospitable...at least, my
village is...
but go over to the TOURIST spot, Assos, and it's a totally different
world..
even the locals admit it...money has this way of twisting people and
making them
something they either always were, or never wanted to be...but it
happens...

this is a very livable place...or else i wouldn't have settled here.

if you EVER get the chance to visit rural Turkey, do it...you will NOT
be disappointed..

and the weather's super!!

ar.

Old June 20th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
ups.com...

We tourists can feel the dislike in such places, and don't come back. The
locals are the stupid ones, chasing away the easy dollars. How hard is it
to be nice and appreciative?

Old June 21st 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Glassman wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

We tourists can feel the dislike in such places, and don't come back. The
locals are the stupid ones, chasing away the easy dollars. How hard is it
to be nice and appreciative?

--

JK Sinrod
www.sinrodstudios.com
www.MyConeyIslandMemories.com

sorry if i didn't make myself understood...it's not the
'dislike'...it's the 'greed'... the locals LOVE tourists...but only see
them as a source of income, not as human beings.

Assos is an ancient site. present day Assos is a tiny village perched
on the remains of an ancient volcano...it's not much bigger than a
small NJ town...if you've ever been to Smithville, NJ,..it's about that
size (well, the last time i was there 20 years ago, smithville was the
size of today's Assos)

....Aristotle (and i don't mean Onassis) spent 3.5 years there
teaching, philosophizing, etc..., at the top of the 'acropolis' is yet
another 'temple to athena'...unfortunately, the culture and tourism
ministry has allowed the construction of cement columns to replace some
of the fallen ones in the last three years...it's pretty awful if you
ask me...but that's NOT the problem... until just recently, tourists
were rarely seen here...then all of a sudden they started arriving by
the bus load...the locals, very poor farmers and sheep herders, tried
to pry some money out of the tourists by selling them locally produced
items...woolen socks, crocheted lace doilies, maybe even an old rug or
two...all were not particularly commercial but they WERE local
production and foreigners thought they were getting a 'deal' ....then
other tourists arrived and even more schlock hit the 'market'...now, as
a tourist tries to make his/her way up to the MUSEUM (all of a sudden
you have to pay to enter) at the top of the hill...a very hard climb up
a stone road...you have to 'run the gauntlet' of vendors selling the
same version of their stuff...it's all the same, if someone gets an
idea for something new, within a week, the women are copying it exactly
and they all try to sell it to the unsuspecting tourist...the road is
only as wide as one car width...so you can imagine what it's like
trying to walk past these shoulder to shoulder vendors, on both sides
of the road, trying to get YOUR tourist dollars out of you before you
see what the neighbor is selling...which isn't different from what they
are selling.

it's a horrible experience! and hence...only one time visitors these
days.

it wasn't like this when i first came to the region just 13 years
ago...everyone was very naive and innocent. then the scent of 'money'
hit ... like blood in the water, causing a 'feeding frenzy' that i find
disgusting...

imagine for a second what your Coney Island would have been like with
vendors, shoulder to shoulder, on a 16 foot boardwalk, shouting at you
to buy their Hot Dogs...every vendor selling the SAME exact kind of hot
dog...would YOU want to go back twice?

yeah, wait...only if you were hungry, right?

see my point now?

ar.

Old June 22nd 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
ups.com...

Glassman wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Assos is an ancient site. present day *Assos* is a tiny village

Sounds like the home of De Brady! Ba Da Bing!

Old June 22nd 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Glassman" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...

Glassman wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Assos is an ancient site. present day *Assos* is a tiny village

Sounds like the home of De Brady! Ba Da Bing!

Now, THAT's funny!