printed muslin?

Old July 31st 10, 05:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lynn

Default printed muslin?

Hi all -- I used to read rctq ages ago (before new motherhood took
over my life). I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could find
patterned muslin. Or, if that's not possible, at least had some tips
on buying the softest white muslin. Here is what is motivating me --
love the idea of these swaddling blankets, but not the price:

http://www.bambinoland.com/store/tem...ay.php?NID=201

Of course I'm thinking if I could find the fabric, I could just hem
some up myself. We are expecting baby #2 now. With baby #1, I had
the same idea, and bought a lovely blue flannel fabric with peter
rabbit characters on it. Somehow time got away and I never hemmed it,
but we wrapped the baby in it, and it just worked better than every
other swaddle blanket we had. We became so dependent on it that I
never even had a chance to hem it - it went straight from washer/dryer
to baby each time, and I just let the edges unravel. I'm hoping this
time to be a little better prepared.

thanks for any tips! Lynn

Old July 31st 10, 09:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

For a few minutes, I studied the bambino site and agree with you, that's a
steep price. It seems that their blankets are 'superior' because they are
organic and sized larger than a standard receiving blanket.
If you are having a newborn in cool weather, the softest woven fabric I
ever stitch is flannel by Northcott (their Emma Louise & Ethan Michael line
is a good example). That is such lovely yummy fabric. Also - there's
probably nothing softer than an old all cotton sheet. Find some, cut them
into 45" squares (more or less) and hem away.
No snazzy sewing machine is required. You can simply press under about
¼", stitch, trim a little. Then press under another ¼" and stitch again.
So far as I know, nobody here has gone goofy about the fine virtues (if
any) of 'organic'. I'll leave that one to somebody who knows. Polly

"Lynn" Hi all -- I used to read rctq ages ago (before new motherhood took

Old July 31st 10, 09:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lynn

Thank you for the Northcott suggestion! I will hunt for it. I do
like flannel, but was hoping for something cooler, too. It seems like
my son is always hotter than we are, and I figured this baby might
follow suit. I agree about the organic part not mattering to me -
that was just the first example google brought up for me. thanks
again!

Lynn (formerly of boston)

Old July 31st 10, 09:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

And there's always Minkee!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old August 1st 10, 01:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lynn

Alas, I have sworn to never sew with minkee again. My husband reminds
me of this every time I do it (and again swear it is the last time).
My adult-sized, white minkee blanket, double sided with minkee on both
sides, WITH batting, and white thread of course, nearly killed me.
Try unpicking those stitches! In any case, I'm committed to only
using cotton on babes forever more, since my son's horrendous bout
with eczema. It's so important to have breathable fabrics for kids
with skin issues.

thanks again! Nice to see the same "face" around after all this
time! I still treasure fabric you sent me so long ago, Leslie (brown
squares).

-Lynn

On Jul 31, 2:33*pm, "Leslie& The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
And there's always Minkee!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old August 1st 10, 01:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita L. in MA[_2_]

Lynn wrote:
Hi all -- I used to read rctq ages ago (before new motherhood took
over my life).

Hi Lynn,

I remember you :-) I'm glad to see that you still check in with us once
in a while. I have kind of lost track of time. How old is your son?
Could he be four - or almost?

Keep in touch when you can.

Rita
--
Rita L. in MA One Eyed Mutant Ninja Quilter :-)
Old August 1st 10, 01:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lynn

Not that old -- he will turn three this fall. And will be joined by a
little sister.
We still sleep with the Moon over Mountain quilt that you quilted so
beautifully for us!

-Lynn

Old August 1st 10, 03:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

DD was given a couple of these for her little guy last winter. She loved
them -- worked so well for swaddling because they're bigger than most
receiving blankets. They are a nice light weight for summer, too. I
thought they seemed a lot like some of the light weight gauzy fabrics
I've seen in the fabric stores. Also some of the really inexpensive
muslin is lightweight and softens up nicely with washing.

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html
-----------

Old August 1st 10, 10:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

hi Lynn,
i remember you too.
congrats on both babys.
it has been a mighty long time.
i thot this might be you but wasnt sure til i saw 'from Boston' in your
siggy.
its good to hear from you again.
jeanne
still in auckland

"Rita L. in MA" wrote ...

Old August 3rd 10, 02:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Judie in Penfield NY[_5_]

On 7/31/2010 12:47 PM, Lynn wrote:
[...]

Just lately I've made a few receiving blankets from cotton interlock. I
don't make them quite so large but I do make the full width of whatever
fabric I'm using and make them into a square or as close as I can get.
With the wider width of the cotton knit, I ended up with about a 40 inch
square but that seems a good size for receiving blankets.

Judie

muslin as backing Anne Rogers[_3_] Quilting 32 August 21st 07 08:28 PM
Buying Muslin mb from pa Quilting 19 September 6th 06 01:54 AM
Muslin by the Bolt Bobbie Sews Moore Quilting 20 April 11th 06 05:09 AM
favorite "almost" muslin Sharon Harper Quilting 0 August 6th 04 10:14 AM