How to sew with bad back?

Old August 30th 04, 08:09 PM
Dora Smith

Default How to sew with bad back?

I have a sacroiliac sprain with back and hip problems and strained shoulder
and neck muscles - probably from working at a computer.

What is the best way to sew without aggravating it? I want to do a bunch
of embroidery.

Yours,
Dora Smith

--

Yours,
Dora Smith

Old August 30th 04, 08:32 PM
Kate Dicey

Dora Smith wrote:

I have a sacroiliac sprain with back and hip problems and strained shoulder
and neck muscles - probably from working at a computer.

What is the best way to sew without aggravating it? I want to do a bunch
of embroidery.

Slowly and carefully! Make sure you are sitting well supported and with
room to move when you need to. Support the work on a table or in a
frame on a stand that you can position rather than hefting the weight in
your hands.

Take it slowly and rest plenty!
--
Kate XXXXXX (Who has tendinitis in her shoulders - a sewing injury!)
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old August 30th 04, 09:20 PM
dnmgiordano

Slowly and carefully! Make sure you are sitting well supported and with
room to move when you need to. Support the work on a table or in a
frame on a stand that you can position rather than hefting the weight in
your hands.

Take it slowly and rest plenty!
--

In addition to that, how about one of those "breakfast in bed trays" so you
can sit on a comfy chair/couch?

Old August 30th 04, 09:36 PM
Ward

Check with your doctor for some basic stretches you can do and then do them
every couple of hours. If you don't stretch, you'll end up cramped. He
should know of exercises that are specific for anyone using an office chair
for an extended period of time. They work best. Be sure your feet and
knees form a 90 degree angle too. That will lessen the strain on your lower
back. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Old August 31st 04, 03:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

I highly recommend a good physical therapist, and maybe an occupational
therapist to help you resolve some of the muscle imbalance problems and the
positioning problems.

That said, try to shift position at least every 15 minutes. Yes, get
out the kitchen timer. Especially important seems to be to maintain a
"neutral posture", and shift foot position often. Get a couple of smallish
boxes to use as a footrest...something about 3" and 6" high is good.
Put one foot on the footrest, work for a few minutes, swap feet. Next
round, swap height of footrest used.

Consider, too, spending at least some time working in a standing position.
Take frequent rest breaks and get up and move.

(http://www.painconcern.org.uk/site_files/ Physio%20Footnotes%20-%20Imp
roving%20your%20Posture19.pdf)
Old August 31st 04, 07:19 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

I am assuming that you mean machine embroidery and with that in mind, think
good chair! My hubby got me a new chair for my sewing room for Christmas.
He bought it through an office supply company and it is constructed to
support one's lower back, hips and all from stress and strain. What a
difference...You can keep your 'romantic' jewellery and baubles - true
romance is when one's spouse splurges and thinks of your aching back and
butt! A good chair does not come cheap $4 - 7 hundred cdn), but you're
worth it - especially if you already have a pre-existing condition. Check
out Staples on line for an idea of what's out there (they sell all over
Canada and the United States) or search with keywords such as 'ergonomic
office chairs' or 'Obusforme chairs'. Good luck and happy sewing! I would
not recommend looking for a second hand chair: if it was still good they
would not be getting rid of it....
Cynthia

Old August 31st 04, 03:25 PM
joy beeson

When my back was out, I spent a lot of time knitting flat on
my back on a hard mattress with an overstuffed pillow under
each elbow to support my arms, and no pillow under my head.
(A stack of two regular pillows would have worked.)

It should be possible to work out a variation of this for
embroidery.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~beeson_n3f/ -- Writers' Exchange
Old August 31st 04, 04:23 PM

How to sew with bad back?

(Dora=A0Smith)
I have a sacroiliac sprain with back and hip problems and strained
shoulder and neck muscles - probably from working at a computer. What
is the best way to sew without aggravating it? =A0 I want to do a bunch
of embroidery.
---
Dora, in your other post, you mentioned that you don't have a sewing
machine, so I assume you are doing hand embroidery.
I made the mistake of swinging an axe and a pick for almost 4 hours
last Wed., and have been paying for it since. (Weird thing is, I felt
great on Thurs., but on Fri. the pain set in.) Been popping motrin ever
since, and sitting doing hand-work.
I used a low stool, propped my feet on the edge of it, so that my
knees were bent up, and put the work on a pillow on my lap, to bring it
up so my back and neck weren't bent over. A small pillow in the hollow
of my back was a must, as was an erect posture and good lighting. I
shifted position often. Those stick-on heat products for sprains are a
great medical aid, too--just DO NOT put one on directly after a hot
shower, unless you are into sado-masochism. YOWWSAAA!!!
The good news: the large hook rug is finished! Another Christmas
present done, and I've rooted out the UFO box in search of another hand
project.
Hope you back is better soon.
Cea

Old September 1st 04, 03:21 AM
Dora Smith

Nope. No machine. Old fashioned way!

I've no clue how to do it by machine, or even what machine to use.

Anyhow, what I really want to do is sew on the bus to pass the time. Could
be a tall order, but I can use any suggestions.

--

Yours,
Dora Smith

"Dora Smith" wrote in message
I have a sacroiliac sprain with back and hip problems and strained

shoulder
and neck muscles - probably from working at a computer.

What is the best way to sew without aggravating it? I want to do a

bunch
of embroidery.

Yours,
Dora Smith

--

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas

Back of the work Alison in OH Needlework 5 November 29th 04 07:08 PM
back home again CNYstitcher Quilting 3 February 9th 04 03:09 PM
I'm back -- and the stash is safe! ;) -- somewhat OT Sandy Foster Quilting 6 January 15th 04 07:02 PM
Back from Florida! Is on topic too. AliceW Quilting 5 November 13th 03 01:33 PM
OT- back from the southwest :D alia Beads 6 September 9th 03 08:03 PM