Favorite sewing machine and why

Old December 30th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trixie

Default Favorite sewing machine and why

There have been so many posts lately asking about different sewing machines,
I thought it would be nice to have a threat about what your favorite sewing
machine is, and why. I have a kind of crappy SM (Viking Platinum 770) so
will be interested to hear others opinions.

Trixie

Old December 30th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.

As a beginning quilter in 1999 (and a total non-sewer) -- I purchased a Pfaff 2030 --- and just love
it! I've never had a lick of trouble with it! The only thing it doesn't have that I wish it
did -- is a low bobbin indicator. Pfaffs built in walking-foot is wonderful for quilting and
piecing!

Because I love my 2030 so, when I was ready to invest in an embroidery machine... I wanted to stick
with Pfaff. My budget wouldn't allow for a new machine so after a bit of research -- I purchased a
Pfaff 7570 on ebay. (EVERYBODY I spoke with that has/had a 7570 swore by it! Several had traded
theirs in for newer models -- and later wish they had kept their 7570. I haven't had enough time to
play with it yet... but am looking forward to breaking it in officially in 2007!

Kate in MI

Old December 30th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

I have been an Elna owner for 40 years and have been happy with them
all. I started with an Elna Supermatic. You name it, I sewed it on that
machine -- wedding dress, jeans, lingerie, quilts, suits, swimwear,
coats, luggage. I bought an Elna Club (bottom of the line electronic
machine) in 1995 and passed the Supermatic on to my daughter. About 5 yr
later, she was having trouble with the Supermatic (though I think it
just needed a good cleaning) and wanted a different machine. My sister
got the Supermatic. I sold her the Elna Club and bought a Quilter's
Dream. All of them were great machines. I've been impressed at how well
the electronic machines handle tough stuff, like hemming jeans.

About a year ago, I bought a Singer 401 at a garage sale; it sews well
and is a good backup machine. What I'd like now is an Elna Lotus for
taking to classes and such and one of the Janome's with more space under
the arm for machine quilting.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old December 30th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Judy

I've had a Viking for 25+ years - LOVE 'em. My first was a Viking 180 (given
to my DD when I got my new Viking 550 (Lily)). I didn't need all the fancy
stuff and electronics, I just needed something for quilting freehand as well
as having a machine strong enough to hem denim jeans (We're all on the short
side G). I've also inherited the old Singer 401 that I used to sew a lot
of my school dresses back in the 50s (It needs cleaning! when I have time! )
The Singer served my Mom and I for many many years - it's a rock!
ME-Judy

. ..

Old December 30th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
quilter

I'm a happy Elna user too, although that's all I've really ever used,
and I've only been sewing for 5 years. The one I use most often is a
Quilter's Dream 2 (6600). I think my back-up machine is a 3500, but I
might be remembering the model wrong.

-Lynn

Old December 31st 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 20:06:59 -0600, Trixie wrote
(in article ):

There have been so many posts lately asking about different sewing machines,
I thought it would be nice to have a threat about what your favorite sewing
machine is, and why. I have a kind of crappy SM (Viking Platinum 770) so
will be interested to hear others opinions.

Trixie

I have 2 at the moment and love them both. My main machine is a Viking Lily
555. It does everything I ask it to with no complaints. I take it in to be
cleaned and serviced once a year and it just purrs along. My travel and back
up machine is a Janome Jem Plantinum and its great too although I've used it
less than my Lily.

Maureen

Old December 31st 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

My absolute favorite is my older Singer FW (one of two, one 1940s and one
about 1950--both are grand machines). It is a little workhorse, hardly ever
has problems and I can fix most of them myself; it is perfect for piecing
and works well for quilting small items; it's truly portable so I can take
it anywhere. Second favorite, Singer 301. I use it for machine quilting,
and it is also one of those workhorses that has few problems and most of
those can be fixed by the user; portable if you don't have back problems.
Third, a Kenmore circa 1978...another workhorse that has never given me a
problem. It does zigzag and other rather nice stitches, I use it now for
regular sewing though I made my first four quilts on it and had no
difficulties--it's just that the FW has a nicer, evener stitch and the 301
works better for quilting.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

. ..

Old December 31st 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Pender

My first purchase was a Viking Husqvarna Orchidea. It replaced the
Frister and Rossman which I had 'borrowed' from my mum (she'd had it
since she was married). I have to say that I'll never outgrow that one.
The Orchidea does everything I want and is a real workhorse, with enough
decorative stitches to keep me entertained. It's a great multi-purpose
machine, as I also make costumes and clothing. For quilting I've just
bought myself a Viking Husqvarna Mega Quilter. The extra throat space
is sooooo fab and even without a walking foot it is a real dream to use.
It has made the actual quilting a lot less daunting! Isn't it funny how
many of us tend to stick to a brand? I wouldn't dream of using anything
else!

In message , Trixie
writes
There have been so many posts lately asking about different sewing machines,
I thought it would be nice to have a threat about what your favorite sewing
machine is, and why. I have a kind of crappy SM (Viking Platinum 770) so
will be interested to hear others opinions.

Trixie

--
Jo P
Malvern UK
"I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"
~Thomas Edison
See my quilts at: http://community.webshots.com/user/Jo_Pender
Old December 31st 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

I only have 4 machines, but my workhorse is my Viking #1+. I take my FW to
classes & DH got me an insert for my sewing table for my FW, so I can use it
at home more often. I love the sound of it & the perfect little stitches it
makes!
--
Pauline
Northern California

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
Love my Pfaff 2042, built-in dual feed and needle threader. Sews most
anything without backtalk. Love the sweet little Featherweight too.
Roberta in D, starting to lust after an embroidery machine

. ..

Old January 1st 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Quilter

Trixie wrote:
There have been so many posts lately asking about different sewing machines,
I thought it would be nice to have a threat about what your favorite sewing
machine is, and why. I have a kind of crappy SM (Viking Platinum 770) so
will be interested to hear others opinions.

Trixie

I don't think a Viking Platinum is a crappy machine!!! Why do you say
that??? I have a 750 and love it!

--
Dr. Quilter

http://faculty.washington.edu/mvignali/