Back from vacation - aka, a quilting retreat!

Old May 31st 05, 02:01 AM
AliceW

Default Back from vacation - aka, a quilting retreat!

Didn't notice I was gone, did ya? Well, I was in the Outer Banks of North
Carolina since May 22nd. I brought my laptop but the dial-up there was
spotty at best, so I wasn't on long even when I did connect. I did hold
happy, healing and comforting thoughts for all of you that had/will have
babies, grandbabies, had/have a sick family member/friend or lost a
treasured family member, friend or QI.

It was supposed to be a family vacation with my DSH, FIL, 2 step children,
DSD (and her two doggies) and DGS. With much hesitation, my DSD backed out
a few days before we left. The baby is crawling like crazy and needs
constant attention at this stage of the game. Plus, we would have had to
truck a bunch of his "equipment" down which would have been a real hassle.
The house we rented was 3 stories so it had lots of stairs and lots of doors
to outdoor decks. With the number of folks in the house going up and down
the stairs, it would have been frustrating to try to make sure all exits
were blocked from this little guy who heads for the nearest "danger zone" at
the drop of a hat. So, we missed her and the baby but could understand that
it was far more relaxing to her to have the house all to herself for a week
and to keep the baby on his daily schedule.

So, since I was driving my own car down this time with my step-daughter and
we had the room, I packed up my sewing machine and some WIP/UFO projects to
work on. On the way down, I started to have a tickle in my throat which I
attributed to allergies. That was Sunday. But the time we arrived in NC, I
no longer had a voice. Felt ok, but just couldn't talk. The next day I
decided not to ride to the beach with my DSH so I could rest up and
hopefully shake what ever I was coming down with. No such luck. It hit
full force by Monday afternoon. Still felt ok, now coughing in
uncontrollable spurts. Not much fun when you also have a weak bladder! I
was taking Ni-quil and the night time prescription cough elixir that I used
last month when I had the same thing. That at least let me sleep through
the night.

Still felt good, though, so I set up the sewing machine and a cutting area
on the extra big dining table (the house had two!) and started to organize
my projects. Mind you, this area was on the top floor of this house,
surrounded by large windows and sliding glass doors with views of the sound!
With gentle salt-water scented breezes wafting though the windows, I started
to sew. It felt good. I have not had more than an hour or two of solid
quilting since my DGS arrived, so I took full advantage of the opportunity.
The guys fished all morning, came home for lunch and then fished all
afternoon into the evening. So, I had no interruptions for most of the day.
Life was good!

Here's what I managed to complete:

My Scrappy Sack bag that I started in a class. It was basically done, but I
needed to do the top stitching and finishing hand work. Turned out great!

Two star banners for my sister. One was done, but the other needed the
quilting finished and the binding and hanging sleeve added. Two done!

My April and May BOM blocks! Pix will be posted, hopefully tomorrow. Loved
them both, and they went together very easily. Three/four done!

Made a quilt top (youth bed size) for my DGS#1. Used the "Easy Peasy"
pattern using a novelty fabric in the middle and a pieced border made with 6
of the colors from the center fabric. Five done!

Made a quilt top (52" x 52") for one of the gals that was there for the
birth of the DGS. She had a baby girl five months later. I had the fabric,
but just didn't have the time to make it. I ended up switching the pattern
too and when I showed it to my DSD, she loved it! It's pink and apple green
to match the new nursery. It hasn't told me its name yet, but I'm sure it
will by the time it gets bound. That makes six!

Then, I worked on my triple Irish Chain that was supposed to be a wedding
gift for the son of an old friend. I think it will end up being an
anniversary gift at this point in time. It's a king size quilt and, again,
just never had the block of time to get all the rows laid out properly and
sewn together. It needed a gazillion pins to keep the blocks aligned which
didn't help. But, I was able to lay out the rows on our bed (king sized,
thank goodness) and take the rows as needed to the machine. Finally, got
the top pieced! Hip, Hip, Hooray! The borders are already cut but I had
left them home thinking I wouldn't get that far, but I am still counting it
as number seven done!

Then I started to work on a rail fence quilt for my DS and DIL. I managed
to get all the strip sets made, cut and the blocks squared off. The borders
are cut and the backing is ready, so this one should be complete with
minimal time and effort. I also worked on a table runner for my sister. I
have the pattern picked out and I was able to get the fabric washed and
ironed and ready to cut.

In addition to all of this, my step daughter brought fabric to make one of
the Scrappy Sack bags, so we worked on that (got it done, too!) when she
didn't go with the guys. She used beautiful Asian silk fabrics with
coordinating cottons. It turned out beautiful! And she did all the cutting
and sewing and even modified the pattern to include a cell phone pocket!

So, for the first time in 15 years, I went to the Outer Banks and never made
it to the beach. But I thought of it as my quilting retreat by the sea!
Got home with lots of finished projects and a chest cold on the wane. The
baby is now pulling himself up on anything he can grab and oh, yeah, he cut
two top teeth! Geesh, we were only gone a week!

My sweet husband was able to spend some time alone with his children. His
son had a 96 hour leave which he was able to spend with his dad. He has
another leave from June 11 to June 25 and then he gets shipped to Iraq for a
7 month tour of duty, so it was important that he spend undivided time with
them. The fishing wasn't so good, the wind was blowing most of the day but
I don't think my husband noticed...........

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us

Old May 31st 05, 02:09 AM
Taria

Wow Alice, I enjoyed just reading about your get away. WIth the
exception of the cold I wish I could have done it myself. SOunds
like the time was a great one.
Thanks for sharing, and yes we did miss you.
TAria

Old May 31st 05, 02:30 AM
frood

Was that you I heard hollering at me?

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply

Old May 31st 05, 02:42 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"AliceW" wrote:

Alice, I'm so glad you're feeling better and that your "quilting
retreat" turned out so well for you. You certainly got enough done
for a month's worth of normal sewing and then some! G It sounds like
the whole group had a wonderful time doing what they wanted. Perfect
vacation!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old May 31st 05, 02:43 AM
AliceW

Couldn't have been - I had no voice! My husband didn't seem to mind,
though!

--

: http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/quilt1.htm
: De-Fang email address to reply
: Put on your Big Girl panties and just deal with it. -- unknown
:
:
: ...

Old May 31st 05, 12:43 PM
C & S

Quilting by the seaside! How wonderful! Too bad about your cold. Next
time, instead of Ni-quil, try my personal cure, Champagne and orange juice.
The OJ for the vitamin C and the booze to knock me out. Works like a charm
;o)

--
Carole
Champlain, NY

Fine style does not make something true, nor has a man a wise soul
because he has a handsome face and well-chosen eloquence.

Aurelius Augustinus (354-430)

Old May 31st 05, 01:47 PM

Welcome back, Alice! Glad to hear you had a happy productive vacation.
Watch out for your DGS now that he has teeth. I still have a table my DD
gnawed on and left tooth marks!! LOL Nancycog in MD

Old June 1st 05, 02:58 AM
AliceW

Well, after the damage Kirby did when he was a spry pup, we won't even
notice the tiny teeth marks from Finn! No new kitchen table and chairs
until everyone and everything in this household stops teething!

Old June 1st 05, 02:59 AM
AliceW

I like your thinking! Got the oj, now where the heck did I put that
champagne??????

--

"C & S" wrote in message
: Quilting by the seaside! How wonderful! Too bad about your cold. Next
: time, instead of Ni-quil, try my personal cure, Champagne and orange
juice.
: The OJ for the vitamin C and the booze to knock me out. Works like a
charm
: ;o)
:
: --
: Carole
: Champlain, NY
: http://photos.yahoo.com/ceridwen_rhea
:
: Fine style does not make something true, nor has a man a wise soul
: because he has a handsome face and well-chosen eloquence.
:
: Aurelius Augustinus (354-430)
:
:
: ...

back to quilting Marijke Quilting 8 April 26th 05 09:32 PM
I'm back after a longgggggggggggg time. Questions about machine quilting frames grammy1 Quilting 3 August 30th 04 03:11 PM
Home from retreat Susanne Quilting 3 November 12th 03 06:18 AM
Back from retreat Suequiltmail Quilting 3 November 12th 03 01:33 AM