"Postage stamp" quilts

Old June 13th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default "Postage stamp" quilts

I've got a few quilts on my 'once in my lifetime' list to piece. A
grandmother's flower garden, a balitimore album type, an 'apple core' charm,
and some sort of 'postage stamp' quilt - made with finished 1 inch squares.

I am in a swap of 1 1/2 inch fabric squares - and so I thought I would look
up some ideas for what to do with them.

I remembered some names -- boston commons was one -- and I thought I would
grab examples off the web of different types of quilts made with small
squares.

I found some pictures, but no directions for what I thought were traditional
patterns.

Can anyone help?

Also, I remember liking a quilt a long time ago that I saw --- probably in
American Patchwork and quilting. I believe they called the pattern "Town
Square" -- but danged if I can remember the year or the issue. Has anyone an
idea of where I might have seen it?

Thanks

Old June 13th 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
marigold

Hi
I joined Jo's swap too! DH was asking me the same question. "What are you
going to do with them?"

I picked up a new magazine yesterday - McCall's Quilting Scrap Quilts
It has a quilt in it using 1 1/2 " squares. The pattern in the book sews 1
1/2" strips together and then cuts into 1 1/2" segments but it could easily
be done with just squares.

Something Irish Chain like perhaps. Anything that uses 9 patches or 4
patches. I think the list is endless really. Look at any quilt with squares
and just envision it with a lot more!

Marilyn
in thunder showering, (differenciating it from solid rain!)
Alberta, Canada

Old June 14th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AliceW

I have the "town square" pattern as well as two others for using 1" squares.
One is called "Confetti" but I forget the other name. I will check the name
tomorrow and post a picture of the two. I also have this type of quilt on
my "bucket" list.

ps - made a good start last week on my list. I finally got up the courage
to give blood at work for a blood drive they were sponsoring. I had never
given before since I am deathly afraid of needles. I was always so worried
about passing out or throwing up and doing either in front of a room full of
other people (coworkers in this case) just kept me from giving. But, I did
it without fainting or throwing up. The nurses were great and it actually
took longer to fill out the paperwork than it did to fill a pint!

--
AliceW - Royal Cybrarian
www.ourcyberfamily.us

Old June 14th 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
marigold

Congratulations Alice!
You were a big girl for sure!

I seem to be stingy with my blood, for me it takes forever to fill their
container.

Marilyn
in still rainy,
Alberta, Canada
(think I'll be sprouting gills soon)

. ..

Old June 14th 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Denise in NH

Alice, I have occasionally worked for the Red Cross blood drives at my
church and I've never seen a woman get queasy or faint, it's more likely
to be the very young, virile, show off type of man who can't handle it.

It always cracks me up to see these young studs get all wobbly feeling
and have to lie flat for a few minutes and drink lots of juice. It's
pretty humbling for some of them.

My son told me about his first blood drive when he was in high school
(you have to be 18). Most of the first time volunteers were a little
nervous, but not the class jock, Adam. He was all bravado and braggart,
until they peeled him up off of the floor.
Alice W. said:

I finally got up the courage to give blood at work for a blood drive
they were sponsoring. I had never given before since I am deathly afraid
of needles. I was always so worried about passing out or throwing up and
doing either in front of a room full of other people (coworkers in this
case) just kept me from giving. But, I did it without fainting or
throwing up. The nurses were great and it actually took longer to fill
out the paperwork than it did to fill a pint!

Denise

Old June 14th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Marilyn, I make up for it. Used to be that they would tell me to slow
down when I gave blood. Every one else got the little sponge/bar/?? to
squeeze as they gave, they took it away from me.
And, since I am naturally pale, I get very pale when I give blood. But
feel fine. They used to really like my blood, and call me to come in....
I am a "universal donor"--- O Neg.
Since I have been on so many meds I had to quit giving blood. sigh.

Pati, in Phx

Marigold wrote:
Congratulations Alice!
You were a big girl for sure!

I seem to be stingy with my blood, for me it takes forever to fill their
container.

Marilyn
in still rainy,
Alberta, Canada
(think I'll be sprouting gills soon)

. ..

Old June 16th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C[_3_]

Way to go, Alice! I, too, am a chicken about giving blood. I'm not afraid
of needles, but of watching my blood run out, plus the other things you
mentioned--passing out, throwing up in front of bunch of people. I hope one
day to find the courage to do it, just as you have.
--
Michelle in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/desert_quilter

. ..

Old June 16th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default Was "Postage stamp" quilts/Now donating blood

I used to give blood regularly- now my red blood cell count is low and it's
too hard to try to get it high enough to donate. I would have to stuff
myself with steaks and broccoli and raisins and other 'good food' for a week
ahead of time to get it high enough to donate- and they still turned me down
about half the time. So I gave up. But... you don't have to watch
anything. They make you very comfortable, they will check on you every few
minutes, give you goodies to eat and drink and then you get a cool T-shirt!
They won't let you get up off the table or leave if you are feeling dizzy or
faint- they don't want you falling over any more than you want it to happen!
I had one T-shirt from them that made some Goth-type teenagers do a double
take. I heard one boy say to another "Did you see that lady's shirt???"
The shirt said- in fairly large red letters- "Got blood?" Below that was
the American Red Cross info. LOL

Leslie & The FOUR Furbabies in MO.

"Michelle C" wrote in message
Way to go, Alice! I, too, am a chicken about giving blood. I'm not
afraid of needles, but of watching my blood run out, plus the other things
you mentioned--passing out, throwing up in front of bunch of people. I
hope one day to find the courage to do it, just as you have.
--
Michelle in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/desert_quilter

. ..

Old June 16th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Good for those who can and do donate blood! My father used to do that
regularly when we were kids. I also did it regualrly until the 1988
diagnosis of lupus. Now I cannot. The day I got my letter saying I
could not longer donate, I had just been matched for a bone marrow
donor, and had to [very reluctantly] back down from donating of all
kinds.

Ginger in CA

Old June 16th 08, 10:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

DH is B negative, and the two older girls are AB pos and AB neg. Dunno
about DD3 yet, but our new grandbaby Damian is also AB. Anyway,
between DH and my two eldest I've gotten to be on a first name basis
with the "vampires" at the Red Cross and the hospital. They've even
sent the bloodmobile to our house a few times. They've been waiting
impatiently for DD3 to turn 18 (she just did) so they can see what her
blood type is.

NightMist

"Michelle C" wrote in message
Way to go, Alice! I, too, am a chicken about giving blood. I'm not
afraid of needles, but of watching my blood run out, plus the other things
you mentioned--passing out, throwing up in front of bunch of people. I
hope one day to find the courage to do it, just as you have.
--
Michelle in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/desert_quilter

. ..

"L" wrote in message
[...]

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.