LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

Old June 19th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

Howdy!

deleting my usual rant...

reply below...

On 6/18/06 10:34 PM, in article %Yolg.142204$k%3.61293@dukeread12,
"teleflora" wrote:

"Sandy Ellison" wrote in message
Howdy!

I like kids.
On toast. g

****
I just didn't want my kids to bug other people; didn't want friends to say
"Oh, look, here's comes Sandy--- OH NO!! she brought her kids!!" G
Of course, now I'm likely to take your kids in hand, sit down to play
with them, offer them my solar calculator, some Silly Putty,
maybe a walk around outside. 'Cause they're not my kids & I can give
them back. g

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy

I love you, Sandy!

Cindy

Just remember me when you go to that quilt show, Cindy. VBG
Love,
Ragmop/Sandy--Queen of Beggars ;-D

Old June 19th 06, 11:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

And it is those compliments that we appreciate! I raised my kids same as
DH's sister - with lots of love, lots of freedom, a firm hand and firm
voice. Mind you she slacked off a bit with her third and fourth. I have no
hesitation in taking my kids anywhere and taking them to a LQS would be like
letting a mouse loose in a cheese factory - they love fabric just as much as
I do!! They also know that sometimes mum likes to look and shop in peace
and then the courtesy will be returned to them.

quicker)

"Pati Cook" wrote in message
nk.net...
We got spanked as kids. Sometimes with a belt. It was not unusual for
that time.
We knew better than to act up. Consequences were definitely not fun.

As for teachers........ that is part of the reason the average burnout
time for new teachers is (or was a few years ago....) 5 years. I lasted
about 6 and half, but only worked half time. It can be absolutely
brutal as a teacher in the American public school system.
Yes I can do "teacher voice" and it carries......... G

Kids in stores....... the store where I was asst. mgr had stairs,
offices and such were upstairs. Here in Arizona stairs are not the usual
thing in homes and kids think they are great fun to play on. We also
had terrazzo floors, which are very hard. Parents would let the kids
play on the stairs, jump off and run around the store. I would
frequently say something to the child and/or to the parent. Even asked a
mother with a screaming child to leave one time. The child was
obviously tired and such, mother was not shopping to buy, just to be in
the store for some reason. And other customers, who were buying, were
complaining.

So you can call me an old grouch too. Children are children, but they
can and should be well behaved and close to the parents, not running
free. I also complement kids/parents when appropriate.

Pati, in Phx

off kilter quilter wrote:

Taria wrote:

My mom had a comment. "that kid needs popped". Last time I
'popped' my son he was 6'2" and I had to reach up to do it.
Certainly no pain involved but the surprise value was effective.

We got spanked once in a rare while as kids but mostly just were
taught what proper behavior was.

I told a kid to quit kicking a box at Lowe's a couple of months
ago. (he was wailing on the thing) I thouht the dad was going to
slug ME. I just shook my head being grateful I don't have kids
in school anymore. How on earth do they get people to go into
teaching?
Taria

I have a theory....the ones that go into teaching either a) REALLY love
seeing the light of comprehension in that one special child, b) are
gluttons for punishment, or c) can't afford any other method of birth
control

but that's just me...at one time I was actually an elementary ed
major....changed really fast to psychology...lol..wound up with a degree
in sociology

Old June 19th 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 22:32:55 -0500, "teleflora"
wrote:

If the quilt shop is small, and they were busy, I wouldn't even bring DH in.
Nothing worse than trying to get to something and having a person just
standing aimlessly in the way.

Cindy

He simply needs help learning to love fabric. Andy brought home 2
half-yards of purple fossil ferns for Sasha and I to enjoy. He
already has expensive tastes and doesn't need any "enabling" from
me.....

-- Jo in Scotland
Old June 19th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks for sparking an old memory Pati. One day my son came home from
playing with a neighbor kid and exclaimed, "Mikey is rich!! They have
stairs!!!!"
KJ

nk.net...

Old June 19th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Gee that's funny.

I have concerns about taking DW with me to a fabric store because the
salespeople only pay attention to her and I become invisible. Of course,
when I go by myself, I'm still invisible. I asked a store manager once
if I needed to bring in my DW so I could get assistance? At least the
people at the Viking shops know me to be an owner and a user! [uuhh, i
do get permission from DW to use the SMs but the serger is mine, albeit
purchased with her permission, and of course she may use it]

klh in VA

Old June 19th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

hee.

Humbly and just for the record - this devoted LQS customer shares your
customer service frustration with these same people! They take up
space and time and then, by the time *I* get to the counter, the
generally lovely staff are harried and fed up just can't wait to get
the rest of us out of there, too.

I will admit to being the "last minute shopper" at times, but that's
because by the time I get away from work, the LQS which is in the next
town is closing within the hour. But I don't go in to browse for 15
fabrics at that hour, just to do the commando run - " Need a FQ of
blue batik, STAT" - then I'm gone.

Johanna "customer is NOT always right" B.

joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska wrote:
A disclaimer--I have worked for almost 2 years in my local LQS and I
love my job and the customers.

I do enjoy reading your comments regarding your local quilt stores,
both positive and negative. There's always something to learn and it's
good to hear from the customer viewpoint.

But, on the other hand, I could make (short) list of complaints that I
have about customers.
*Talking on cell phone while shopping and while being waited on.
*Taking cell phone calls during a class despite and despite a (gentle)
suggestion otherwise.
*Bringing unruly children into the store and letting them roam, crawl,
yell, etc.
*Coming into the store 15 minutes before closing time to select 15
fabrics for a color-wash trip around the world.
*Calling to see if we have a fabric from 5 years ago that you bought at
another store. No manufacturer name, no collection name. Just 'pink
with little white flowers.' I'll try, but don't expect a miracle.
*Attempting to return a kit you bought at another store.
*Coming in to pick up the Mystery Quilt clue and announcing in a very
loud voice that you're off to another quilt store to buy your fabric.
And you'll be back for all future clues. Of course.

It does help to have a good sense of humor when working in any retail
environment! :

joan

Old June 19th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default kids - LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

oh yes that is *so* true!

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

James is like that - and on the whole I'd much rather it was that way
round than the other!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Old June 19th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

there is indeed - my youngest does have days when his curiosity gets away
with him. mine melts down when he finds that his idea of getting sweets
isn't going to be reality as he imagined - a hard concept for a 2 year old
to understand that what he wants to happen doesn't mean it will happen.

yikes a toddler in a class??!! that is *so* **not** done!

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands
Take out: so much quilting to reply.
Time to accept, time to grow, time to take things slow
www.geocities.com/jess_ayad
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jes...pson/my_photos
There's a big difference between a child being loud or having a tantrum
in public, and a child running around getting into things. When a child
is having a meltdown in public I sometimes privately think that maybe
mom should take the kid home, but that's not my judgment call to make.
The time I was in a quilting class and I literally couldn't leave my
sewing machine to go to lunch because someone's out-of-control toddler
was running around grabbing other people's stuff, that's an entirely
different ball of wax and I *will* (and did) say something.

--

blackrosequilts
My train of thought left the station without me.

2005 BOMs: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blackrosequilts/my_photos

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

Old June 19th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

LOL - not something I'm about to try he would think it fun and do it more
often knowing him!

I can cope with the once a week meltdown (at most) he knows there is no real
point in doing it but likes to try anyway and preferably where other people
will see him do it LOL

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands
Take out: so much quilting to reply.
Time to accept, time to grow, time to take things slow
www.geocities.com/jess_ayad
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jes...pson/my_photos
A friend of mine had a unique way of dealing with her toddler's temper
tantrums: when the child lay down on the floor and started screaming
and thrashing about, my friend lay down on the floor next to her and
screamed and thrashed right along with her. (This occurred at
home--not out in public.) I guess the look of wonderment in the
toddler's eyes was something to behold. ;-) And she never did it
again either.

Michelle in NV

Old June 19th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Jessamy wrote:
yikes a toddler in a class??!! that is *so* **not** done!

Yeah well, there's only so much you can do in an all-day class when the
family decides to visit for lunch.

There's an annual quilting retreat nearby with a no-children rule. The
year I went, guess what? Someone With Influence had just had a baby,
insisted on going, and insisted on taking her baby with her. (Some
people can get away with anything. It really depends on how much
influence they wield.) When I heard this, I said, "But..." and I was
informed that this baby was really good and never cried.

Ha.

I wasn't the only one who was annoyed. I ended up leaving early anyway
because too many women were wearing perfume and I became quite ill.
Crying infant, rude amounts of perfume, blah. The more people I meet,
the better I like my dog.

big foot + little foot Wren Quilting 11 March 5th 06 06:06 PM
Big foot Debra Quilting 6 July 30th 05 01:32 AM
Boot Shoe Pattern Cutting & Clicking 1906 FA Sally General Crafting 0 September 12th 04 12:23 AM
A walk(ing foot) in the park KittyG Quilting 18 October 21st 03 06:35 PM