Another South of the Border Run

Old September 5th 03, 11:54 PM
shhdesigns

Default Another South of the Border Run

Hi Everyone
Just got back from my latest south of the border run. Left town on August
26th after attending my friend Linda's surprise birthday party. For those
who don't know her Linda is our membership chair and former newsletter
editor. She is an amazing lady who helps without asking and it was fun
being a part of her surprise. Which we got her good by the way.
Woke up for an early start and our first stop was a quick stretch break at
Joann's Fabric in Bellingham. They are re-organizing the store and couldn't
find anything but good deals. This is not good, only 1 1/2 hours out and
finding things 75% off!
Down to Centralia and found Quilters Junction. It's in an old house and has
a great assortment of fabrics and gadgets. I found a cute lithograph called
The Happy Quilters. It has three women under a very bright quilt by Dixie
Rogerson-Bill. Her website is at
http://rogersonlithographs.com/ She is from the Centralia area.
The shop was a participant in the Western Washington Shop Hop and still had
copies of their instructions which she shared with me. Onto Kalama and The
Nine Patch. She had an amazing collection of felted wools. Got a neat pink
one that almost looks tie dyed. She also had a copy of instructions for her
block.
Onto Vancouver Washington and Connecting Threads. I've had their catalogue
and always wondered what their store was like. What I didn't realize was
they also do a yarn and painting catalogue business. They had a great
warehouse clearance sale going on. I found some Mylar hexagon and triangle
shapes for a good deal. They also had books, fabrics available.
www.connectingthreads.com is their website if you don't already know it.
The salesclerk was kind enough to direct me to the two LQS in Vancouver The
Quilter and Quilt-n-Stitch are both great shops.
We then headed down 99E one of my favourite routes and by passed Portland
this time and saw that Speckled Hen Quilts was open. They're open late on
Tuesdays and Thursdays. Last year when I found the shop they were just in
the process of moving in. What a great shop. They also have an amazing
amount of gift items. They opened up a huge backroom that they use as a
classroom space.
Karen is a very nice lady. Mom was sort of interested in some hen/rooster
hangings and she offered to take 40% off [that would make the price
equivalent to the Canadian dollar]. Mom declined but found a cute attic
windows hanging done with a Timeless Treasures chicken print, so we got the
fixings and I'll make one for her instead. Check out the Speckled Hen at
www.speckledhenquilts.net I love the comment under her sign. Spotted
Roosters & Speckled Hens...this is where the FUN begins.
Next stop was Salem where we spent the night.
Next day we got up and went to Greenbaums Quilted Forest. I usually go
there when going to the Sisters Quilt Show, very different. The shop was
not crazy with people so asked about a guild discount. Was told they only
offer it to LOCAL quilters. I'm not sure what happens in your area, but at
most of our shops, if you are a guild member they offer you a standard 10%
discount and don't require you to have any cards or punch tags. When I said
this I was told to "talk to Sylvia", I just said no and left. After walking
across the street and checking out an antique shop and remembering how
accommodating Karen at the Speckled Hen was I went back. I asked to speak
with Sylvia and said she might want to talk to me in a private corner. She
held her hand up and said, "in a second" and that blew it...I just started
saying how rude I thought it was that this shop did not offer discounts to
anyone but local quilters. Her response was...no we offer it to all
quilters...yeah right, bet it would have been different if there weren't a
lot of customers hearing me complain.
Not sure if I'd go back again. Time will tell. Next stop was Dallas and
Grandma's Attic Sewing Emporium, Inc. I love this shop. She has a file
with a lot of free patterns, take one take ten, as many as you like. She
also has an "economy cupboard" [sale fabrics] I found a copy of EQ5 Drawing
and some cracked ice in a pretty blue. Asked about a discount, got it on
everything including the book! What a difference from that other shop.
Can't wait to try some of the hints in EQ5 draw. I find it easier to try
reading and doing the lessons at the same time. I find reading, then trying
it later doesn't work for me.
We made a quick stop in the Wal-Mart and I found some great carved wood
pumpkin baskets in 3 sizes. I've seen them at Pier 1 for a ridiculous
price. These ones ranged from $2.97-6.97. I think I got all three for less
than one at Pier 1. They also have some great lemon scented potpourri.
Back on the road again and down to Eugene and found The Quilt Patch. They
have a display of antique quilts hanging in the store right now. They also
re-located last year. No business card but they are at 3rd and Lincoln
downtown. They do letterbox quilts, check out their website at
http://www.quiltpatch.com/
Also found Factory Fabrics, a close out shop that has everything, end of
bolts, satins, velvets. All at a very low cost. Found two cute fall
fabrics, at $3.99, why not?
Next stop, one of my favourite towns, Cottage Grove. I found it in 1999 and
panicked when it moved in 2000 across the street. Unfortunately a lot of
the antique shops have closed down. Sue had opened a cafe called the
Brothel Cafe with a friend that had to be closed, she's hoping to be able to
re-open it shortly. She had taken head and foot boards from beds and made
them into benches to sit at the tables. Long sad story, but at least the
shop is still in business.
Oops, in Junction City stopped in at Quilter's Junction, not a large shop
but has some nice fabrics.
In Roseburg we stopped for the night. The next morning we went to Country
Lady Quilt shop, they also moved their location. We also managed to find
Seams Like Old Times Quilt Studio, despite the fact that for almost 2 years
the phone book has the incorrect address. They have some great Bali batiks.
We also found a cute antique gift shop called Angels in the Attic. She was
cutting [yes, cutting] old quilts up to make into stuffed fabric pumpkins.
They look cute, but what a shame.
We decided after speaking with our waitress to drive along the North Umpqua
Highway towards Diamond and Crater Lakes. If you are ever in the area, make
the trip. Be warned there are lots of hills and curves. But well worth the
drive. Diamond lake is pretty, but Crater Lake is amazing. There was still
snow on the inside of the crater. The road at times is incredibly narrow
with no guard rail, so it's not for the faint of heart, or motorhomes I'd
say. We drove around the west side before heading down to Medford. By
chance happened upon a small new quilt shop called Gingers, a lot of poly
cottons, mainly making quilts for dogs and cats. Good luck to her.
Well, I guess that's enough for the first digest, hope you enjoy it and the
others to come.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.

Old September 6th 03, 12:23 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 22:54:46 GMT, "shhdesigns"
wrote:

[...]

You found Cottage Grove in 1999 and panicked when it moved across
the street in 2000? I know it's small but it's not that small! I was
born there by the way..... (just don't call me a Grover)

-- Jo in Scotland
Old September 6th 03, 12:42 AM
Jalynne

You missed one quilt shop that is just fabulous...McMinnville, Oregon's
Boersma's....It's quite a large shop, and great people there. Also, in Tacoma, All
About Quilting. I guess you'll jsut have to make another trip, huh?

--
Jalynne

. ca...

Old September 6th 03, 01:09 AM
shhdesigns

Well, I guess that's enough for the first digest, hope you enjoy it and
the
others to come.

You found Cottage Grove in 1999 and panicked when it moved across
the street in 2000? I know it's small but it's not that small! I was
born there by the way..... (just don't call me a Grover)

-- Jo in Scotland

Hi Jo
But for such a small town, you don't expect people to just move across the
street...you expect them to grow to a larger town.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.

Old September 6th 03, 01:11 AM
shhdesigns

Hi Jalynne
Have been to both of those shops previously, decided not to double back up
to Boersma's. Had just been to All About Quilting during the Western
Washington shop hop in June. Trying to get to some new shops or old ones
along the route. My mom's not a quilter, but tolerant of my have to stop
and look around breaks. She doesn't drive, so where I stop, she stretches.
Thanks to that, I've got some excellent treasures, more on that shortly.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.

k.net...

Old September 6th 03, 01:27 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 00:09:01 GMT, "shhdesigns"
wrote:

Well, I guess that's enough for the first digest, hope you enjoy it and

the
others to come.

You found Cottage Grove in 1999 and panicked when it moved across
the street in 2000? I know it's small but it's not that small! I was
born there by the way..... (just don't call me a Grover)

-- Jo in Scotland

Hi Jo
But for such a small town, you don't expect people to just move across the
street...you expect them to grow to a larger town.

I miss Oregon and the Pacific Northwest during the fall. I've
decided that I need to come on holiday with you. That alright?

-- Jo in Scotland
Old September 6th 03, 01:29 AM
Johanna Gibson

wrote:

Well, I guess that's enough for the first digest, hope you enjoy it and

the
others to come.

You found Cottage Grove in 1999 and panicked when it moved across
the street in 2000? I know it's small but it's not that small! I was
born there by the way..... (just don't call me a Grover)

-- Jo in Scotland

Hi Jo
But for such a small town, you don't expect people to just move across the
street...you expect them to grow to a larger town.

Well apparently Oregon is the state with the highest unemployment
right now. Just heard it on the news, very sad. I remember when
loads of small business (well, all sorts of businesses) closed in the
80s and my brother who worked in the timber industry was laid off and
then never really had another full-time job after that. Hard times in
Oregon then and apparently now as well.
Things will get better, but slowly.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old September 6th 03, 02:14 AM
Jalynne

ah ok...just making sure you didn't miss two really great places. and now, they're
out there with your list for other people to see if they want to make a similar trip.
--
Jalynne

"shhdesigns" wrote in message
. ca...
Hi Jalynne
Have been to both of those shops previously, decided not to double back up
to Boersma's. Had just been to All About Quilting during the Western
Washington shop hop in June. Trying to get to some new shops or old ones
along the route. My mom's not a quilter, but tolerant of my have to stop
and look around breaks. She doesn't drive, so where I stop, she stretches.
Thanks to that, I've got some excellent treasures, more on that shortly.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.

k.net...

Old September 6th 03, 02:43 AM
shhdesigns

Well apparently Oregon is the state with the highest unemployment
right now. Just heard it on the news, very sad. I remember when
loads of small business (well, all sorts of businesses) closed in the
80s and my brother who worked in the timber industry was laid off and
then never really had another full-time job after that. Hard times in
Oregon then and apparently now as well.
Things will get better, but slowly.

-- Jo in Scotland

To answer both of your posts, I did more than my share to help boost the
economy and anytime you want to tag along, you're welcome. I have to plan
my vacations a year in advance as fair warning!
LOL
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.

Old September 6th 03, 02:44 AM
shhdesigns

no problems, I usually do these travelogues on a regular basis, so some
folks have already heard of these places.
Always glad to hear of another destination.
Stay cool in this warm weather.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.

"Jalynne" wrote in message
[...]