OT slow newsreader.. can anyone help?

Old July 12th 05, 08:04 PM
Allison

Default OT slow newsreader.. can anyone help?

For the past couple of months my newsreader has been much slower than
normal. It can take up to 10 seconds to load a message now whereas
before it was almost instantaneous. And the few times I've tried to
post to the newsgroup I thought it was going to time out.

I'm presently using the newsreader inside Netscape 7.2. I wondered if I
had added a Windows XP update that messed things up but when I did a
system restore there was no change. I've tried tweaking every option
available but no luck. Thought I'd check and see if anyone had any
ideas about what has happened.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Allison
Old July 12th 05, 10:41 PM
Liz A.

Since I don't have a newsreader, I read it from Google Groups and it's
always pretty fast. Once in awhile it is a tiny bit slow to respond
when I post something.

Liz A.
Kent, WA

Old July 13th 05, 12:04 AM
Polly Esther

I do not know what I'm talking about, worse than usual this time. My
neighbor wiped the pounds and pounds of cookies off my computer and it is
reading faster now. It may be totally unrelated. Polly

Old July 13th 05, 01:41 AM
Thomas H. O'Reilly

My guess would be that you've picked up some spyware somewhere, rest assured
that it isn't gone yet. T

ink.net...

Old July 13th 05, 02:59 PM
Allison

Maybe that's what I have to do...find a different source for reading
newsgroups. I'll see if I can figure out Google Groups.
Thanks
Allison

Old July 13th 05, 03:01 PM
Allison

Polly Esther wrote:

I do not know what I'm talking about, worse than usual this time. My
neighbor wiped the pounds and pounds of cookies off my computer and it is
reading faster now. It may be totally unrelated. Polly

FWIW, I tried that and cleaning up my cookies made no difference for the
newsgroups (did feel good getting rid of all that junk tho G!)
Allison
Old July 13th 05, 03:02 PM
Allison

Thomas H. O'Reilly wrote:

My guess would be that you've picked up some spyware somewhere, rest assured
that it isn't gone yet. T

I thought of that and ran Spybot. Any others I should try?
Allison

Old July 13th 05, 11:21 PM
the black rose

Allison wrote:

Thomas H. O'Reilly wrote:

My guess would be that you've picked up some spyware somewhere, rest
assured that it isn't gone yet. T

I thought of that and ran Spybot. Any others I should try?
Allison

Microsoft AntiSpyware is actually surprisingly good if you're running
Windows. Can't hurt to give it a try.

--

the black rose
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human