Advice on sewing machine

Old December 18th 04, 04:11 PM
PFJ

Default Advice on sewing machine

Hi Penny,

Thanks for the input.

small change wrote:

here's my 2¢, if you've been lurking, you know I take the direct approach.

Limited budget... what does that mean exactly? Your idea of a limited budget
may not be mine.

Budget is around $300, a little more if it seems I can find something
that really works.

4 Singers in six months? Where are you buying them ( ie dealer or big box
store) and what is the problem? If you keep having problems, why are you
still buying them? History will confirm that singer is not the brand your
mother and grandmother used. How much money have you spent buying something
that's obviously not working, just for the sake of a brand name?

Big box store. And the problems are varied and numerous, all related to
the criteria set out above. I figured the machines weren't working
because I was being too cheap ($200). My attachment to Singer is
primarily emotional, most probably completely irrational. But I'm glad
you point this out, since hearing people say what you already know is
sobering :-). And which is why I need advice about brand and everything
to do with this (final!) purchase.

Have you read the "what machine should I buy FAQ" that circulates here?
here's the link if you haven't
What Machine Should I Buy FAQ:
www.cet.com/~pennys/faq/smfaq.htm

Thanks, yes, I have.

If motor speed is important, you might consider an commercial machine.

Would suit me fine I think, if I could find one ~$300

Very few machines are made with a top loading bobbin - my thought is that
criteria needs to be expanded, it will really give you a lot of options.

Hmmm. You're probably right. If everything else fits then I suppose I
can deal with this relatively small annoyance.

For extended use, motor quality is really important. I'm no expert on that,
but I am sure someone here can make some comments.

Penny S

Thanks lots for the input.

Pam
Old December 18th 04, 04:13 PM
PFJ

Hi Irene,

Thanks Irene.
IMS wrote:
My suggestion is to go with a good, used machine. My criteria was the
same as yours three years ago when I began my search. I couldn't afford
a top of the line new machine but figured I wouldn't do bad with a top
of the line used one.

Very happily, if I can find a good and reliable source for them.

I settled on a Singer 401 - top of the line in the 50s' - this is an all
metal, gear driven (no belts), drop in bobbin, slant needle, has a
boatload of built in stitches, will sew through anything I can fit under
the needle. It does zip along, too. I've quilted or sewn on her straight
through some weekends. I paid $100 for it. It will last several
generations more with no problem.

Do consider a good, used machine. I LOVE them (I have since collected
about 40 of 'em!). Check out garage sales, thrifts, classified ads, and
especially SM repair shops(although they may be higher priced here). I
got my first 401 ($100) via an Internet classified ad, the second via
eBay ($40 - it just needed a foot controller).

I'm iffy about the Ebay thing for this purchase, but can you tell me
where you found that Internet classified? If you remember?

-Irene

Old December 18th 04, 04:49 PM
PFJ

HI Irene,

What a great idea! I'm going hunting.

Thanks again,

PFJ

IMS wrote:
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:13:55 GMT, PFJ wrote:

Hi Irene,

-gently snipped---

I'm iffy about the Ebay thing for this purchase, but can you tell me
where you found that Internet classified? If you remember?

Most newspapers nowadays have on-line editions, and their classifieds
are listed as well. so I spent a few days searching their ads (I looked
in YAHOO for newspapers on line). It was a time-consuming thing to do,
I admit! At that time I didn't know much at all about vintage machines
and 401s (the model I decided on) were scarce on eBay (they have since
become much less so). I wanted one that someone knew was working ok --
I have since discovered that unless they've been stored under salt
water, old Singers cannot be killed

In any case, in the Oklahoma City on line edition there was an ad, which
I responded to. Funny thing was, the seller didn't realize her ad had
gone on the internet! She was amazed that someone in NY had contacted
her about it. We exchanged emails, talked on the phone, and a few weeks
later my 'new' machine arrived....ready to go and still going strong.

-Irene

--------------
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
--Mae West
--------------

Old December 18th 04, 05:19 PM
PFJ

small change wrote:
snip

If motor speed is important, you might consider an commercial machine.

Very few machines are made with a top loading bobbin - my thought is that
criteria needs to be expanded, it will really give you a lot of options.

For extended use, motor quality is really important. I'm no expert on that,
but I am sure someone here can make some comments.

Oh, and can anyone else weigh in on this? Seems like it is potentially a
big issue for me?

Thanks,

Pam
Old December 18th 04, 05:24 PM
Anne

Another brand to look for is Baby Lock. NAYY but I do love mine and
just bought DD#2 one for her Master's degree graduation present. The
Quilter's Choice model has needle down, a knee-lift lever, walking foot
and 1/4" foot included and a drop in bobbin, among many other features.
New they are around $1000 but used you can get much better prices. If
you go to their website you can find local dealers who would have good
deals on the used ones. http://www.babylock.com/

Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl Crow
http://home.covad.net/~arudolph/annes.htm

PFJ wrote:

Hi Penny,

Thanks for the input.

Old December 18th 04, 05:31 PM
small change

Anne wrote:
Another brand to look for is Baby Lock. NAYY but I do love mine and
just bought DD#2 one for her Master's degree graduation present. The
Quilter's Choice model has needle down, a knee-lift lever, walking
foot and 1/4" foot included and a drop in bobbin, among many other
features. New they are around $1000 but used you can get much better
prices. If you go to their website you can find local dealers who
would have good deals on the used ones. http://www.babylock.com/

based on everything the OP is looking for, and the budget, I'd look for an
used older quality machine... pfaff, bernina, there are other brands and
used workhorses that people can recommend.

Good places to look are want ads, local auctions etc for commercial
machines. For my domestic ( non commercial) machines, I've been using
Bernina and viking for almost 20 years. An example of an older machine that
will go for ever is any Viking in the 6000 series....

Penny S

Old December 18th 04, 05:51 PM
Anne

small change wrote:

Anne wrote:

[...]

That's why I said "used" The base price of the Baby Lock is much lower
than pfaff, bernina or viking even though the quality is (IMO)definitely
comparable. That would make the "used" price much lower too, no?

Old December 18th 04, 06:04 PM
Pauline O'Connell

When I bought a new machine a couple of years ago, one of my requirements
was also a toploading bobbin - only because that was what I was used to on
my old, old Singer Genie I ended up with a bottom (or is that considered
side) loading bobbin & I am so glad that I did, because if you've ever had
to replace your bobbin when you're in the middle of quilting a quilt, it's
much easier with the bottom loading bobbin than top loading.

Pauline
"PFJ" wrote in message
snip

Old December 18th 04, 07:41 PM
Pogonip

PFJ wrote:

Hi Irene,

Thanks Irene.
IMS wrote:

[...]

It does sound like the Singer 401 is just what you want.
The thing with eBay is to remember that you are not
dealing with eBay, you are dealing with the seller so you
want to check that person out carefully. An advantage of
eBay over on-line classified or rummageads is that eBay
provides some insurance and if you pay with Paypal, you
get even more insurance. But you do need to look at the
listing very carefully, then go look at the seller's
feedback and click on past auctions to see if that person
often sells sewing machines. A machine that is shipped
must be carefully packed, it's not like shipping beany babies.
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/

Old December 18th 04, 07:44 PM
AmazeR

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:19:00 +0000, PFJ wrote:

small change wrote:
snip

If motor speed is important, you might consider an commercial machine.

Certainly I'd look for an industrial machine here. Hopefully you can pick
one up in your price range. Forget the modern Singers. Anything pretty
much after 1953 (or so I understand) isn't worth looking at. FYI, I
recently picked up an old (1924) Singer Treadle for quilting with. The
one I have is a top loading shuttle bobbin machine. Obviously, no motor,
but if you get those leg and tummy muscles going you can not only keep
somewhat fit but go along at a good pace! I do some quilting on this.

Very few machines are made with a top loading bobbin - my thought is
that criteria needs to be expanded, it will really give you a lot of
options.

For extended use, motor quality is really important. I'm no expert on
that, but I am sure someone here can make some comments.

Oh, and can anyone else weigh in on this? Seems like it is potentially a
big issue for me?

I also have a Bernina... It has a front-loading bobbin. I learnt to sew
on an old Singer with the top loading bobbin. Once you get used to the
different bobbin position, you'll love it. Go for the older Berninas
though. And avoid the Bernette like the plague!

Most older machines have metal moving parts, but almost all modern
machines are plastic... Avoid these machines if you don't want headaches!

All the best,

Mavis

--
http://linuxathome.ath.cx/~mavis/blog/index.php