DP template size??

Old April 6th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dogmom

Default DP template size??

Grrr. *Thought* I knew what I was doing. My unfinished Drunkard's Path block
is 6 3/4. Finished--6 1/4. I thought the insert would be 4 1/2" and I would
cut out 4 1/4. Now --now that I've cut into my gorgeous midnight blue
batik--it's being grumpy. Sewed more creases in that poor block than I have
in any since the one I threw across the room ten years ago.

Is there a formula for DP blocks?

TIA muchly.

Dogmom

Old April 6th 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

I don't know of a formula -- but you can draw out your block... cut it
apart; then add your 1/4 inch seam allowances all the way around...

I have also replied privately with 2 PDF files with templates from EQ that I
hope are helpful. The difference in the two is the size of the "circle".

Good Luck! After all the DP blocks in my Kimono Quilt border... you'd think
I'd be an expert... but NOPE! Not even close!

--
Kate in MI

.. .

Old April 7th 08, 06:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

On Apr 6, 12:17*pm, "dogmom" wrote:
Grrr. *Thought* I knew what I was doing. My unfinished Drunkard's Path block
is 6 3/4. Finished--6 1/4. I thought the insert would be 4 1/2" and I would
cut out 4 1/4. Now --now that I've cut into my gorgeous midnight blue
batik--it's being grumpy. Sewed more creases in that poor block than I have
in any since the one I threw across the room ten years ago.

Is there a formula for DP blocks?

A quick sketch suggests that the size of the insert should be the same
as the finished size of the quarter circle, so for 6 1/4 block with 4
1/2 quarter circle (finished sizes), you'd cut a 6 3/4 square and
remove a 4 1/2 section and cut a 5 inch quarter circle. Another
reality check is that when piecing part of a circle the radius of the
two pieces you cut have to be half an inch difference, so that the
seam line is along the edge of the same sized circle for both pieces -
then you just have to work out the right size, but if you get that
wrong, even though the result won't be what you expect, it should lie
flat and a quarter of an inch either way probably doesn't matter in a
drunkards path.

Cheers
Anne

Question about Size of King Size Quilt harrythehair Quilting 13 August 1st 07 01:09 PM
template questions sewamommy Quilting 0 January 1st 07 06:07 PM
template site Boca Jan Quilting 15 October 13th 06 11:02 PM
Philosophical question. Chart size v canvas size. F.James Cripwell Needlework 8 March 19th 05 12:46 PM