beagles sleeping outdoors at night / freedom of indoors day & night

Old October 27th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
sandygal

Default beagles sleeping outdoors at night / freedom of indoors day & night

Hi Guys,

Just a question we have a labrador 2 years old, a large blue heeler 12
years old whom both sleep inside, live inside during the day as well as
outside, and we have no problems what so ever.

We have accumulated a 7 month old beagle / spaniel who is into
everything. I considered parting with her as she chews everything in
the house.

My dilemma is she sleeps in her kennel outside very peacefully during
the cold and warm weather and I feel guilty that the other 2 have
always and still do sleep inside. When we were given the beagle, she
had been sleeping outdoors then in the same kennel. Should I be
feeling guilty about leaving her sleeping outdoors at night or should I
just assume that she is use to it and happy about it.

The three dogs play together inside / outside during the day, mostly
outdoors on nice weather.

Can someone help me, I am confused or guilty or what???

P.S. beagle training - where, how and when?

Cheers Sandy

Old October 27th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kellie J. Berger

I would think if the dog is used to it and doesn't complain then it would be
fine to leave her out. Providing the weather isn't horridly cold or really
stormy.

However, I would go with whatever works best for my family routine, if it
was leaving beagle out or bringing beagle in with other dogs. If you want
her in you could bring the kennel in for nighttime, that would cut down on
the chewing/messing up possibilites at least til she was thru that stage of
life.

Kellie
not a crate training kinda person and definitely an inside dog person

ups.com...

Old October 27th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

Hi, I love dogs. Before we acquired a little peke when I was 13, all
our dogs were outside dogs, day and night. Daddy grew up on a farm. But
after Thirsty, all our dogs were indoor dogs and I like it that way
still today. That being said, I do know a tiny bit about various breeds
of dogs and those bred to hunt in packs can be difficult to housetrain,
and I use that phrase to mean all that is included in living indoors.
Beagles are particularly difficult. They are wonderful, loving, gentle
dogs ..... just tough. And they tend to howl. The idea of crating her
inside is actually good. I have successfully used crate training for
all my puppies in my adult life. It makes for quick potty training and
for sleeping and all that stuff, as well as giving me a good place to
keep the pup while I was away from home. And the dogs have all become
very happy with the kennel as a good place to be. And all eventually
sleep on my bed. Don't ask. I'm the biggest weeny on earth.

Not actually a helpfor what you asked, but maybe some thoughts.

Sunny

Old October 27th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Georg

sandygal wrote:
[...]

I am very against outdoor dogs over night. At 7 months, she hasn't had a
winter outside yet, and she can adapt easily enough to your training.

P.S. beagle training - where, how and when?

In your home, with lots of love and attention and consistent discipline
and treats, as soon as possible and for as long as necessary.

Crates are a useful tool for the purpose of housebreaking. A couple of
chewtoys for her- give these to her again every time you catch her doing
something she's not supposed to be chewing (after scolding).

Hounds are very stubborn and independent. Rascal has already been taught
he's not allowed on the bed. He's 12. He's done it his whole life. Took
him 3 weeks to learn he's not allowed in our house to do it. (he's a
basset hound).

May your patience hold up to the task!

-georg
Old October 27th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
frood

Oh, beagles. Don't get me started. Our obedience trainer said "she does well
for a beagle" and she was the worst in the class! Stubborn and smart is a
tough combo to train! That Dog (as she came to be known) ate (not just
chewed) a bike helmet, part of a lawn mower and the shed door. She also
tried digging us a basement.

Give these dogs lots of exercise and they chew less. Squirt guns work for
training (sometimes). Mine barked outrageously at a baby possom that
wandered into the yard at 3 am, but never said a word when a mama cat moved
under into a hole under her doghouse and had 9 kittens.

We did love that dog, but I'm not about to get another beagle. I really want
a second dog, and beagles are the only breed I could get DH to agree to - he
has a real weakness for them. But no. Not again. Probably. G Ours died
when she decided to leave her heated dog house when we had a freak blizzard
of 2' of snow 7 years ago. She nearly froze to death, but we rushed her to
the vet. She was revived, but quite brain damaged and we had to put her
down. Her name was Lucille Jezebel (a Southern belle who stole our hearts)
but when we moved next to 2 ladies named Lucy, we had to change the name so
DD#1 wouldn't get confused (she was just a toddler at the time -DD, not the
dog). She became Gozer, and boy, did that name fit!

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply

Old October 27th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

Waaaaaaaay back when, I used blanket binding on my quilts. It was already
pressed in two and was so nice to feel. It comes in colors and I think it's
2" wide. If I was going to bind a quilt I would use this rather then ribbon.
--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Old October 28th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti S

Default beagles sleeping outdoors at night / freedom of indoors day &n...

I don't like leaving dogs outside at night.... but that's just me.
I inherited a 6 month old Doberman this summer who was already "crate
trained". This was my first experience ever with a
"crate". He's just fine with it. My other dog, like your two, has
freedom of the house at all times, but Kaz is really quite content to
sleep in his crate. He just walks over to it about 10:00ish every night,
and goes in and goes to sleep. I keep it indoors.
I don't know anything about Beagles, but I've heard stories similar to
the other posts. I wish you the best of luck with your new QI. Let us
know how things are going.

Patti in Seattle