My condolences

Old April 17th 07, 07:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
recarlos

Default My condolences

This news was relayed to us in Australia and we could hardly believe that it
was true.
Our hearts go out to the Parents and all others whose lives have been torn
apart by this awful thing.
Ruth
Sydney
"KJ" wrote in message
I hope this doesn't touch anyone your son knows personally. But, of
course, everyone will share in the grief. Those poor poor parents. I just
can't imagine the pain.

Old April 17th 07, 08:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

We had both had a lovely day and switched on the evening news, when we
had dinner. We both gasped when we heard what had happened and were
stunned into silent incredulity. What a tragedy and shock. The parents
must be devastated. An isolated murder is terrible enough, but a mass
shooting - that is grotesque.
Perhaps the picture will be clearer this morning (I haven't heard any
news yet); but for those involved - the families of those killed and
injured + those students who were nearby and heard the shooting - the
position was starkly clear from the start.
I hope for some good to come out of this. It might, who knows?
..
In message , Pat in Virginia
writes
Thanks, Kathyl. I've got several indirect connections to Virginia
Polytechnic Institute and State University. (AKA Virginia Tech for
short.) DH is a grad; I've got great memories of our campus dates there
... some of the buildings you see on TV are familiar to me. Currently,
several of our friends have sons/daughters at Tech. I haven't heard
from all of them yet. This is just heart breaking. Prayers are welcome! PAT

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 17th 07, 10:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon Harper

We heard this this morning. My heart goes out to everyone affected by this.
Details were very sketchy.

http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html (takes awhile to load)
quicker)
"KJ" wrote in message
I'm shocked and deeply saddened by the events at Virginia Tech University
this morning. I'm glued to the television. If any of our newgroup has
friends or family affected by this awful event, I send you my thoughts and
prayers.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old April 17th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

This morning's newpaper had an article about a local high school grad who
was in the engineering building when the shootings took place. He is a
friend of my DD...they went to prom together in high school! I just talked
to his dad about three weeks ago and was told he was at VT...but,
thankfully, I'd forgotten that while watching the news yesterday...or I
would have been very worried, knowing he's an engineering grad student. He
said he heard the noise and someone in the hall said there was shooting.
They locked themselves in the lab and cared for a student who had been
grazed by a bullet. His lab is on the first floor where the entrance to the
building is, but the shootings took place on the floor above him. Just way
too close. It was several hours before his mom knew what his situation
was...he left his cell phone in his locked lab so she couldn't reach him.
He called her early in the afternoon.
So, even though we live far away in Iowa....it has touched our small
community too. Just not as tragically as others certainly will be. We are
thankful for that.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old April 17th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

You are right to speak about the 'ripple' effect of this tragic event,
Kathyl. In our regional news a few minutes ago, they spoke of a couple
from our region (here in the UK) who are living in the area, as the
young man is a student in the engineering faculty of VT. They are OK,
thank goodness, but it was a while before their families could be
informed.
Hearing the stories from some of the students who were nearby at the
time of the shooting, and those whose classroom was so nearly the one
attacked, has been both frightening and moving.
..
In message uy3Vh.59319$_c5.7482@attbi_s22, KJ
writes