Does anyone know these guys?

Old January 18th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Javahut

Default Does anyone know these guys?

wrote in message
oups.com...

michele wrote:
Y'know, just because people can buy drapes and wallpaper and carpets at
wal-mart and home depot and carpet wholesalers and the like, it appears

me that there is still another whole layer of cultured folks out there

that
would die before having that crap in their homes. These are exactly the
people i want for customers! So yeah, let the chinese rake the curds off

the
top of the milk and leave me the cream . I haven't got the time to deal

with
the low-end customers anyway! De'B... there will never be that many
TALENTED glass artists around as it takes YEARS of practice to achieve

our
skill level (not yours obviously) m

I think it's naive self-stroking to suggest that making stained glass
windows or lamps takes unique or special skill. It's a simple
tradescraft that can be learned quickly and easily by anyone willing to
spend a little time at it. The ONLY significant difference between the
small group of professional artisans and the thousands of aspiring
amateurs is how fast they work. All those hobbyist amateurs are doing
work of equal quality to the pros. They just don't work fast enough to
be able to make a living at it.

There lies the difference between you and the rest of the artistic glass
world.

In your own words and expression, you are correct. ANYBODY can put this
stuff together, you have shown that. To make a living as an "artist in
glass" a person better know more than what you so profoundly express.
Designing with color and expression takes just alittle more talent than
slapping the glass with foil or lead and soldering it together. not all
blue is the right blue, and Spectrum, God love 'em, is not the glass to use
in all applications, as so many hobbyists believe, just because their
distribution process is more efficient.

That is something the Chinese have yet to master. To them it's a job,
something to do to feed the family and buy a car and put clothes on their
back. The percentage of glass artists in China is probably similar to the
same here in the western world, but they don't work in factories there
either.

Until you figure that out , you will still have half you oars out of the
water.

Adapt? sheesh, don't you get tired of hearing your own voice bounce off the
walls?
I see you are still suffering from that same illness when last I heard from
you...Cranial Rectal Inversion.

Old January 18th 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

wrote in message
ups.com...

I'll start taking your questions seriously sometime after you find the
courage to stop hiding behind an assortment of phoney names.

In other words, you haven't got a clue.

Did that container of glass ever make it to Finland? Or was it Fantasyland?
With you, it's hard to know the difference.

Old January 18th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Ron Parker

On 17 Jan 2007 16:32:42 -0800, wrote:

Moonraker wrote:

How would you rank the current situation in decorative glass endeavors, some
of which a

Architectural applications (permanent installations of windows,doors,
churches)
Incidental applications (suncatchers, toy sailboats, and the like)
Lighting fixtures (lampshades including kilnformed shades)
Torchworked (beads, scientific glass apparatus, sculptures)
Kilnworked (sushi plates, bowls, jewelry, fused items)
Furnace work (castings, etc.)
Repair and Restoration

From the above categories, pick the largest segment of the global market and
tell us what percentage you think that segment is of the total, then the
second largest segment, etc. Feel free to add any major segments that I've
left out.

I'll start taking your questions seriously sometime after you find the
courage to stop hiding behind an assortment of phoney names.

Okay, smartass. Pretend I asked the same question, because I'm genuinely
interested in hearing your answer to it. Or at least hearing your next
excuse for why you won't try to answer it.

And yes, that really is my name up there. Always has been.

(Though I suspect you'll dodge it again. It can't be an accident that you
talk about artisans while everyone else talks about artists.)

Old January 18th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Brock

The surest way to make Dennis disappear is to ask him a direct
question. He probably won't post on WG for a few days now after his
latest ridiculous advice on annealing times for 3" thick castings.

Hey lying turd, found those quotes yet?

Old January 18th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman@work

To get back to my point, all the bashing aside for a moment.... You SG
artist defenders are all missing what I was saying. It's not high end vs
low end, or high price vs low price, or upscale customers vs homeshoppers...
what it is is yet another piece of our business potentially taken away. I
used to make lamps, sell supplies, etc... those things have basically
disappeared from my gross. Sure I do high end stuff, but I also do basic
cheapie stuff that helps pay the bills as well. Custom ordering from China
hurts both ends, and all these items that are going away, only make it
harder to thrive. If you read the blurb about them, it states that they also
intend on using this self designing ability for furniture, signage, and
whatever other markets they can. Just don't make this out to be small
potatoes because you happen to be thriving now. Watch your backs.

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old January 18th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

"Brock" wrote in message
oups.com...
The surest way to make Dennis disappear is to ask him a direct
question. He probably won't post on WG for a few days now after his
latest ridiculous advice on annealing times for 3" thick castings.

I suspect the only 3" thing Dennis has any experience with is.....Oh, well,
you get the idea.

Meglomania is a psychopathological condition characterised by delusional
fantasies of wealth, power, or omnipotence- often generally termed as
delusions of grandeur. Does that fit anybody you know?

Old January 18th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Moonraker wrote:

How would you rank the current situation in decorative glass endeavors, some
of which a

Architectural applications (permanent installations of windows,doors,
churches)
Incidental applications (suncatchers, toy sailboats, and the like)
Lighting fixtures (lampshades including kilnformed shades)
Torchworked (beads, scientific glass apparatus, sculptures)
Kilnworked (sushi plates, bowls, jewelry, fused items)
Furnace work (castings, etc.)
Repair and Restoration

From the above categories, pick the largest segment of the global market and
[...]

My guesstimate on the current (and expectations for future change)

Architectural applications are a small percentage of the whole market
but I expect that percentage to increase as an increasing number of
artisans move into larger work - especially fusing & casting. I expect
the percentage of work in SG to diminish (as has all of the SG market).

Incidental is now a relatively small part of the market and will
probably become still smaller as the volume of imports becomes larger.

Lighting fixtures in SG will continue to diminish but the interest in,
and market for, kilnformed will expand as more kilnformers start
producing them. I expect that growth to be as short-lived as the
market for kilnformed glass sinks - as soon as the Chinese
manufacturers realize there's a market.

Torchworked is market saturated. I figure there will continue to be
more individuals involved in torchworking, but it will become
increasingly difficult for them to sell their work as more and more
competitive product is being improted.

Kilnforming market is as saturated as Torchworking - with the same
competitive pressures from imports as SG.

Furnace work will expand considerably as more individual artisans
acquire the small scale equipment now available.

Repair & Restoration (for SG) will continue to be steady and probably
increase. A lot of SG windows made in the early 1900's have reached
(or past) their expected lifespan and will need releading and repair.
The lower prices on imported lampshades has produced an increased
market for them. Broken ones will need to be repaired. Our studio has
the equivalent of almost 2 full time workers doing repairs on lamps and
windows.

Old January 18th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Javahut

wrote in message
ups.com...

Moonraker wrote:

How would you rank the current situation in decorative glass

endeavors, some
of which a

Architectural applications (permanent installations of

windows,doors,
churches)
Incidental applications (suncatchers, toy sailboats, and the like)
Lighting fixtures (lampshades including kilnformed shades)
Torchworked (beads, scientific glass apparatus, sculptures)
Kilnworked (sushi plates, bowls, jewelry, fused items)
Furnace work (castings, etc.)
Repair and Restoration

From the above categories, pick the largest segment of the global

market and
[...]

LOL yup, you sure know your stuff, and that was what again?

"My guesstimate on the current (and expectations for future change)"

Old January 18th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Brock

Now, how about those quotes, you lying turd . . .
Are you ready to admit you made that up?
Oh, and can you tell us again about annealing 3" thick glass.
We're all waiting for your wisdom over on Warm Glass.