OT needing ice cream experts

Old June 16th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jenn/Jalynne

Default Hi, Honey! g OT needing ice cream experts

My favorite is the local unprocessed blackberry honey. It's got a deep rich
flavor you can't beat. Jeanne knows...she's had it here!

Jenn in Tacoma

"Sandy Ellison" wrote in message
Howdy!

Much of the honey sold in the stores in the U.S. is processed,
heated, takes out most of the taste and the health benefits.
"Good" honey is more pure, tastes like whatever crop the bees were
working (clover, orange, watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumber, lemon--
just a few that I've tasted at home). Best health benefits are from
"local" honey, from w/in a few dozen miles of your home.
Some beekeepers will try to keep the particular honeys in separate
batches, others will dump it all in together; the big guys like
SueBee are dumpers, less concerned w/ where it's from, how it used
to taste. The lighter honeys give you more sweetness than flavor.
If you see a beekeeper set up on the side of the road, selling
her/his wares, stop and have a sample, taste the difference.
Cheers!

R/Sandy-- along w/ carpentry my dad was a beekeeper (for about 25 yrs.);
damned hard work, beekeeping (no stings for him, tho')

On 6/15/07 9:59 AM, in article , "Roberta Zollner"
wrote:

Don't mean to sound like an expert, cause I'm not, but just try tasting a
few different ones. Some honey producers apparently feed their bees on
sugar water and sell the result as "real honey". Which it is, sort of.
But
it doesn't taste like much of anything.
Roberta in D

"Polly Esther" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
The first batch of this grand experiment should be ready in about 22
minutes, Roberta. The cake will take a while longer. I'm curious about
your saying 'really good honey'. I wasn't aware that there was a
difference. Care to educate us on that? Polly

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
One frozen treat I discovered is nothing but fruit and honey. You need
really good honey, so it isn't a cheap thrill. But try putting a
smallish
banana, a pound of strawberries or peaches (hulled/peeled etc.), and a
cup of honey through the food processor until it is completely smooth.
Then freeze in your machine. I use linden honey.

So when shall we come over for the taste test?
Roberta in D

Old June 16th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

Default OT needing ice cream experts

In article ,
Julia in MN wrote:

Sandy Ellison wrote:
R/Sandy-- wondering "what is this stuff called low-fat whipping cream"?
isn't it the fat that makes the cream? VBG

I've wondered about that, too. Also the stuff they call "fat-free
half-and-half". I thought half-and-half had less fat than whipping
cream, but more fat than whole milk; how can it be fat-free?

Julia in MN

The magic of chemicals (thickeners like carageenen and such) and high
fructose corn syrup.

marcella
Old June 16th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article ,
"Roberta Zollner" wrote:

Speaking of madness, my little ice cream maker recipe book included
directions for chocolate mint: a box of After Eight mints plus a pint of
whipping cream. Melt the former, stir into the latter, and freeze. Talk
about criminal indulgence!
Roberta in D

Oh, that sounds just wicked.

I was thinking I had a recipe more in line with the original post -
low-fat and no eggs. I'll keep digging today. I remember it had a box
of instant vanilla pudding in it which I suspect made it creamy to
replace the missing eggs.

marcella
Old June 16th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Okay, I finally went in and got a couple of my cookbooks off the shelf.
Can't find the little spiral notebook with the favorite ice cream
recipe, from Girl Scout Camp, but do have here a whole cookbook on ice
cream. Lots of low fat recipes, and a major comment: for less rich ice
cream substitute lower fat milk products. G One thing that helps is
using evaporated milk instead of regular, or for part of the regular.
The thickness helps keep the end product creamy. And you can now find
evap skim milk, too.

There are way too many recipes here to post any specifics unless there
is a request-- I think I may have to get out the small ice cream maker
soon. BG Especially since the refrigerator is on its last legs, I
think. Ice stays frozen, but not ice cream. within a day we have
soft-serve ice cream. sigh.

There is an interesting section of definitions of frozen desserts--
according to this "Ice Cream is a frozen mixture with a hight fat
content. It is rich with cream, milk, sweeteners and flavorings. Most
Homemade ice creams are actually French ice creams or frozen custard
because they contain whole eggs or egg yolks."
Sherbets are made with milk instead of cream, and contain fruits/fruit
juices and sugar or other sweetener. Unflavored gelatin or beaten egg
whites may be added for fluffier texture.
Sorbets contain no milk or eggs to reduce ice crystals.

There are even drinks of various sorts. G Bloody Mary Frappé anyone?
And the toppings!!!! Wonderful ways to create heavenly indulgence. BG

Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Old June 16th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 10:02:15 -0700, Marcella Peek
wrote:

In article ,
Julia in MN wrote:

Sandy Ellison wrote:
R/Sandy-- wondering "what is this stuff called low-fat whipping cream"?
isn't it the fat that makes the cream? VBG

I've wondered about that, too. Also the stuff they call "fat-free
half-and-half". I thought half-and-half had less fat than whipping
cream, but more fat than whole milk; how can it be fat-free?

Julia in MN

The magic of chemicals (thickeners like carageenen and such) and high
fructose corn syrup.

So they would call "low fat double cream" that because calling it
"lots of milk solids with added sugar and double carageenen" wouldn't
sell so well?

NightMist
what happened to truth in lableing?

--
Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Old June 16th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I have a cookbook called The Best Light Recipe. I got mine online but I
saw it at Costco since then. It is really helpful in teaching and
explaining a lot about cutting fat. This book is no fat nazi book but
rather one that sort of meets in the middle. Lots of fat cut but still
recipes that you can serve to folks that are used to 'real' food. If
your diet is VERY strict in cutting fat it won't be so great.
They give a blurb on fat free half and half. It is made from fat free
milk, corn syrup, and a slew of natural and artificial additives. They
recommend against using it to cook with but if you like cream in your
coffee it is serviceable. They liked Land O' Lakes brand best.

HTH, Taria

NightMist wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 10:02:15 -0700, Marcella Peek

Old June 17th 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna Aten[_2_]

Thanks a bunch for the toast, however, I would rather have Whole Foods, if
it's all the same to you!
--
Donna in Idaho

R/Sandy --home from Whole Foods w/ a whole side of salmon,
ready for an evening of quilting & good eats ;-D
(I'll toast to you, Donna in Idaho)
p.s. Whole Foods has the best roasted, salted sunflower seeds (in shell)

Old June 17th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:30:57 +0100, Patti
wrote:

Absolutely no expert in any form of cooking!
But: 'vanilla'
You have to remember that there is a distinction in vanilla sold for
your delectation! Vanilla *essence* and vanilla *extract*. One is weak
and feeble, the other is strong. Of course, being me, I don't remember
which is which!! So, I can only remind you of the fact. And there are
vanilla pods which can flavour milk and sugar. (You get these from a
'good' store).

I've never heard of essence. We have extract and flavoring here. The
extract is strong and the flavoring is weak. To complicate matters
more, there is the truly feeble imitation flavoring, and all manner of
combinations of the three. I learned long ago to stick to one brand
of real extract to get consistent results.

BTW the vanilla pods can be used to make your own flavoring. All you
need is a little vodka and time (months) for the pod to steep.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old June 17th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 16:59:57 +0200, "Roberta Zollner"
wrote:

Don't mean to sound like an expert, cause I'm not, but just try tasting a
few different ones. Some honey producers apparently feed their bees on
sugar water and sell the result as "real honey". Which it is, sort of. But
it doesn't taste like much of anything.
Roberta in D

Oh dear, that's just awful. I don't care at all for the processed
honey sold in grocery stores as it lacks the bite of raw honey. I buy
my honey direct from a bee keeper at a local flea market. He has all
kinds of variety throughout the year which can only be gotten by bees
producing it from natural nectar sources through the growing season.
My preference is for clover honey, but I'll take whatever he has
available.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old June 17th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:55:26 +0200, "Roberta Zollner"
wrote:

Speaking of madness, my little ice cream maker recipe book included
directions for chocolate mint: a box of After Eight mints plus a pint of
whipping cream. Melt the former, stir into the latter, and freeze. Talk
about criminal indulgence!
Roberta in D

That should have had a drool warning at the beginning!
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

White/Cream with Black scrap request: was: Black, white & cream scraps/charms needed Kathy Applebaum Quilting 1 July 22nd 06 11:48 PM
asking experts Mary Needlework 134 May 16th 06 01:01 AM
OT - any bug experts here? JS Quilting 20 April 7th 04 06:48 AM
I need help you experts!! VIRGINIA Sewing 4 December 5th 03 07:34 PM