OT needing ice cream experts

Old June 15th 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default OT needing ice cream experts

I have only done one vanilla recipe in all my ice cream making. It has
half and half and eggs and is not cooked. Since it isn't cooked and we
generally have a crowd of young and old on ice cream making occasions I
use egg beaters just to be safe since they are pasteurized. Tastes
great but is not low fat. There are some great recipes here and boy I
want to try some. Good job Polly for getting us thinking about things
that are really important. LOL I can't wait to start taste testing!
Taria

Polly Esther wrote:

DH is a very good sport about our 'fat-free' diet but ice cream used to be
such a favorite of his. So. Therefore. I am going to invent wonderful ice
cream that doesn't contain egg yolks or fat. The stuff at the grocery
leaves an after-taste much like Mop 'n Glo and I'm sure 'we' can do better.
One of the recipes I've found calls for an envelope of powdered whipped
topping. That sounds like it might work. The recipe calls for TWO teaspoons
of vanilla to make only 2½ cups. The ice cream freezer is big enough to
double the recipe but I'm thinking four teaspoons of vanilla is going to be
waaaaay too much. The 'theory' is that your tastebuds are dulled by
something frozen and ice cream needs a heavy hand with flavoring. I'm going
to need some guidance as well as some taste-testers. Naturally, there will
be chocolate cake to go with it. Polly

Old June 15th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

Default Hi, Honey! g OT needing ice cream experts

hmmm, honey is the one thing taken from me when i got home cuz they said it
was not a processed food. i had no idea so said nothing. it was one of those
tiny individual portions you get with breakfast. glad it wasnt a full jar of
honey, that would of been annoy'n for sure.
hmmm, come to think of it, i've taken honey out of nz bought at the duty
free shop in the airport, i'd assume that too is not processed. odd how its
ok to take it into another country but not bring it here. very strange that
is. i might need to research that one. makes no sense to me at all.
should keep me busy and out of everyones hair for a while.
cheers,
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Sandy Ellison" wrote in message
Howdy!

Much of the honey sold in the stores in the U.S. is processed,
heated, takes out most of the taste and the health benefits.
"Good" honey is more pure, tastes like whatever crop the bees were
working (clover, orange, watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumber, lemon--
just a few that I've tasted at home). Best health benefits are from
"local" honey, from w/in a few dozen miles of your home.
Some beekeepers will try to keep the particular honeys in separate
batches, others will dump it all in together; the big guys like
SueBee are dumpers, less concerned w/ where it's from, how it used
to taste. The lighter honeys give you more sweetness than flavor.
If you see a beekeeper set up on the side of the road, selling
her/his wares, stop and have a sample, taste the difference.
Cheers!

R/Sandy-- along w/ carpentry my dad was a beekeeper (for about 25 yrs.);
damned hard work, beekeeping (no stings for him, tho')

On 6/15/07 9:59 AM, in article , "Roberta Zollner"
wrote:

Don't mean to sound like an expert, cause I'm not, but just try tasting a
few different ones. Some honey producers apparently feed their bees on
sugar water and sell the result as "real honey". Which it is, sort of.
But
it doesn't taste like much of anything.
Roberta in D

"Polly Esther" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
The first batch of this grand experiment should be ready in about 22
minutes, Roberta. The cake will take a while longer. I'm curious about
your saying 'really good honey'. I wasn't aware that there was a
difference. Care to educate us on that? Polly

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
One frozen treat I discovered is nothing but fruit and honey. You need
really good honey, so it isn't a cheap thrill. But try putting a
smallish
banana, a pound of strawberries or peaches (hulled/peeled etc.), and a
cup of honey through the food processor until it is completely smooth.
Then freeze in your machine. I use linden honey.

So when shall we come over for the taste test?
Roberta in D

Old June 16th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

I paid $2.75 each for 2 bourbon vanilla beans* at the food coop this
afternoon. Then I went across the street to the liquor store and bought
a half-pint of cheap vodka. Took them home, put the beans in the vodka
and put it in the cupboard. Should be ready to use by the time I start
Christmas baking.

* From http://www.vanilla.com/html/facts-fastfacts.html "Bourbon
vanilla is named for the islands now known as Reunion and the Comoros,
but in the early 19th century were called the Bourbon Islands. The
Bourbon vanilla plant stock originally came from Mexico. Bourbon vanilla
and Mexican vanilla are basically the same."

Julia in MN
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
Our pure vanilla extract more than tripled in price some time ago. I use a
lot of it in baking. Ouch! I also heard that there was a major crop
failure that drove up the prices. I wish I had stocked up before that
happened. Kinda like gasoline prices..... triple ouch!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
Julia in MN wrote:
I suspect that vanilla essence is stronger. The stuff in the grocery
store is usually labeled vanilla extract. I made my own vanilla extract
last winter. I bought a half-pint of cheap vodka, added a couple whole
vanilla beans, and let it sit in the cupboard for a month or two before
using. I use it like I would use vanilla extract from the store. It
doesn't get as dark as that because it doesn't have any coloring added
but it does give good flavor.

Julia in MN

Patti wrote:
Absolutely no expert in any form of cooking!
But: 'vanilla'
You have to remember that there is a distinction in vanilla sold for
your delectation! Vanilla *essence* and vanilla *extract*. One is weak
and feeble, the other is strong. Of course, being me, I don't remember
which is which!! So, I can only remind you of the fact. And there are
vanilla pods which can flavour milk and sugar. (You get these from a
'good' store).
.
In message , Polly Esther
writes
[...]

Its another of those annoying things that depends where you live. On

http://www.foodsubs.com/Extracts.html

it says
"vanilla essence Notes: This has two meanings. In Britain, vanilla
essence is the same as America's imitation vanilla extract. Elsewhere,
vanilla essence may mean a highly concentrated and pricey form of pure
vanilla extract."

So here Essence is the cheap synthetic version of Extract and I know my
bottle of Extract cost 3 arms and 6 legs!! Apparently the crop of vanilla
didn't do well a couple of years ago.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old June 16th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

NightMist wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:37:34 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

DH is a very good sport about our 'fat-free' diet but ice cream used to be
such a favorite of his. So. Therefore. I am going to invent wonderful ice
cream that doesn't contain egg yolks or fat. The stuff at the grocery
leaves an after-taste much like Mop 'n Glo and I'm sure 'we' can do better.
One of the recipes I've found calls for an envelope of powdered whipped
topping. That sounds like it might work. The recipe calls for TWO teaspoons
of vanilla to make only 2½ cups. The ice cream freezer is big enough to
double the recipe but I'm thinking four teaspoons of vanilla is going to be
waaaaay too much. The 'theory' is that your tastebuds are dulled by
something frozen and ice cream needs a heavy hand with flavoring. I'm going
to need some guidance as well as some taste-testers. Naturally, there will
be chocolate cake to go with it. Polly

I would presume that how much vanilla you use would depend on how good
your vanilla is. The extracts have gotten rather dear.

So far as ice cream, I don't have a proper ice cream freezer so when
the madness takes me I have to keep putting it in the freezer and
taking it out again and beating the heck out of it with the mixmaster.
Totally worth it.
When I don't want to use proper cream, I just take my regular ice
cream recipe and make it with evaporated milk instead. It isn't as
rich as that made with real cream, but it makes DH feel holy. Me, I'm
a sinner from way back.
We recently tried a tin of powdered eggs from the place we get our
gluten flour. LOTS lower fat than fresh eggs. They work fine in
baking. I'm going to get me another tin and try some custards with
it. If that works, well then frozen custard will not be far off.

NightMist

DD gave me a relatively inexpensive icecream maker which is wonderful.
It is a Magimix Glacier, and has a bowl with the wall filled with liquid
which freezes when you leave it in the freezer overnight. You then take
it out the freezer and fit the lid which is a motor driving a mixer
paddle, on top. You then turn on the motor and pour in the chilled
icecream mix. After between 12 and 20 minutes the paddle has difficulty
getting through the now frozen mix, and you just decant it into a
plastic box and put in the freezer to finish off.

It works very well and was 1/4 of the price of the big ones which do
their own freezing without having to freeze the bowl first.

My favourite receipe is just sugar, cream and strawberries. Haven't got
the recipe near the computer, it is in the room where the cats have been
put to bed, and I'm not risking letting them out to play Can't catch me!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old June 16th 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Try it, Jeanne.
Mix up a batch, put it in the 'fridge for a couple of hours;
it won't be as fluffy as the machine product, but it's good
and it's COLD! And that rum & berry slushy is good, too. ;-D

R/Sandy-- wondering "what is this stuff called low-fat whipping cream"?
isn't it the fat that makes the cream? VBG

On 6/15/07 1:05 AM, in article , "nzlstar*"
wrote:

Sandy,
can the yogurt/berrys be made without a machine?
if it can be made without the machine i'd be in heaven.
i hope sugar works too, same amount?
ta in advance,
jeanne

Old June 16th 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Sandy Ellison wrote:
R/Sandy-- wondering "what is this stuff called low-fat whipping cream"?
isn't it the fat that makes the cream? VBG

I've wondered about that, too. Also the stuff they call "fat-free
half-and-half". I thought half-and-half had less fat than whipping
cream, but more fat than whole milk; how can it be fat-free?

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old June 16th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Speaking of madness, my little ice cream maker recipe book included
directions for chocolate mint: a box of After Eight mints plus a pint of
whipping cream. Melt the former, stir into the latter, and freeze. Talk
about criminal indulgence!
Roberta in D

"NightMist" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

[...]

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.

Old June 16th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Oh my....... (copious drooling going on here.) How wickedly indulgent!.
It's prolly a good thing that I am housebound right now..... LOL

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old June 16th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Yes, it does sound gorgeous, doesn't it - and easy too!!! Easily found
ingredients and no measuring out. I know just where the low-fat double
cream is in our supermarket!!! And we have a box of After Eights each
week! So, as it's summer ... ... g
..
In message , Leslie & The Furbabies
in MO. writes
Oh my....... (copious drooling going on here.) How wickedly indulgent!.
It's prolly a good thing that I am housebound right now..... LOL

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

White/Cream with Black scrap request: was: Black, white & cream scraps/charms needed Kathy Applebaum Quilting 1 July 22nd 06 11:48 PM
asking experts Mary Needlework 134 May 16th 06 01:01 AM
OT - any bug experts here? JS Quilting 20 April 7th 04 06:48 AM
I need help you experts!! VIRGINIA Sewing 4 December 5th 03 07:34 PM