choosing a glass grinder

Old August 26th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Default choosing a glass grinder

I need some help choosing a glass grinder. I took some stained glass
classes a while ago and started a fairly large project (it is a window
with a geometric pattern) Since then the man who had the stained glass
store moved and the store closed. Unfourtantly I was not able to buy a
grinder from him before the store closed, and I need one if I am going
to continue with glass work (and finish the window I owe my sister )
Along with some recomendations on grinders I was also hoping
someone could tell me anything they could about flat disk grinders, I
saw the diamond Max 2 on the web while I was poking around and it
sounds like it might be something that would make doing a geometric
pattern a lot easier..... Any thoughts???
thanks :-)

Old August 26th 06, 08:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Adrian

Hi

On 25 Aug 2006 19:13:55 -0700, wrote:

I need some help choosing a glass grinder. I took some stained glass
classes a while ago and started a fairly large project (it is a window
with a geometric pattern) Since then the man who had the stained glass
store moved and the store closed. Unfourtantly I was not able to buy a
grinder from him before the store closed, and I need one if I am going
to continue with glass work (and finish the window I owe my sister )
Along with some recomendations on grinders I was also hoping
someone could tell me anything they could about flat disk grinders, I
saw the diamond Max 2 on the web while I was poking around and it
sounds like it might be something that would make doing a geometric
pattern a lot easier..... Any thoughts???
thanks :-)

Looking at the problem from a diifferent angle.....
I'm imagining that the geometric panel is mostly straight lines - with
glass cut into squares, diamonds, triangles etc ? (If not the case
then none of the following will apply g)

My experience has been that it's always quicker to cut the glass to
the right size rather than 'expect' to have to cut first and then
grind to size .... - though I know some teachers 'teach' the
cut'n'grind method.

With that in mind - perhaps you need a better way of cutting, rather
than a better way of grinding ..?

I use the Morton system most of the time. It's a series of adjustable
clamps that fit into a plastic matrix - and will let you cut lots of
pieces of glass to 'exactly' the same size and shape.

Suppose you had 20 3" squares to cut. With the Morton system - you can
set up the metal cutting guide at 90-degrees to the 'location bar',
and set a couple of 'stops' to give you strips of glass exactly 3"
wide. Once you have the strips, use the right-angle guide to sqaure
off one end, then cut the strips into 3" squares.

It's ten times quicker to do than to describe.
You can also jig up for non-90-degree shapes.
The great thing you'll achieve is 'repeatability' - all of your 3"
squares will be 3", and square g

You might then find that a quick touch with a grinder along each edge
will make life (& assembly) easier - but you'll be taking off a tiny
amount of glass quickly, rather than trying to 'grind to size /
shape'.

Hope this helps
Adrian
Suffolk UK
Old August 26th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

wrote in message
ps.com...
I need some help choosing a glass grinder. I took some stained glass
classes a while ago and started a fairly large project (it is a window
with a geometric pattern) Since then the man who had the stained glass
store moved and the store closed. Unfourtantly I was not able to buy a
grinder from him before the store closed, and I need one if I am going
to continue with glass work (and finish the window I owe my sister )
Along with some recomendations on grinders I was also hoping
someone could tell me anything they could about flat disk grinders, I
saw the diamond Max 2 on the web while I was poking around and it
sounds like it might be something that would make doing a geometric
pattern a lot easier..... Any thoughts???
thanks :-)

Your instinct to look at a disc grinder is correct. It is well nigh
impossible to grind a straight line any other way.

Adrian's comments about cutting the glass to a tighter tolerance is correct,
but if you need to grind a lot of pieces that are already cut a flat disc is
the best way to go. However.....

From a cost and time standpoint, you might be better off to toss the
oversize pieces and recut everything. The cost of a sheet or two of glass
might not be as much as buying a grinder, and you certainly can cut a lot
of new pieces in the same time you would spend grinding some to size.

The Diamond Max grinders are cheap Chinese junk. You would be much better
off to find an Inland or Glastar. Look around on the web and remember that
eBay is your friend.

Old August 26th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
howard

"From a cost and time standpoint, you might be better off to toss the
oversize pieces and recut everything. The cost of a sheet or two of glass
might not be as much as buying a grinder, and you certainly can cut a lot
of new pieces in the same time you would spend grinding some to size."

for straight line cuts ONLY ONE WORD x3

JIG JIG JIG

buyable or makeable

as fast as you can push a cutter on a straight edge you can score glass
easy to snap a stack of glass in one quick flex
just a light grind is necessary for foil
no grind for came

Old August 27th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

diddlywhoot wrote:
DO NOT BUY INLAND CRAP....AND THEY DON'T HONOR THEIR WARRANTY.

TOTAL JUNK

I'd disagree. We've used and sold a good number of both Glastar and
Inland grinders. The warranty claim rate has been the same on both.
In EVERY instance, Inland has provided terrific support.

Old August 28th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
michele

have a look at the inland wizling. A great product, inexpensive, good
customer service. m

Old August 28th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
michele

this is absolutely NOT the experience i have had with inland. i've been
using their products about 20 years.m
"diddlywhoot" wrote in message
. ..
DO NOT BUY INLAND CRAP....AND THEY DON'T HONOR THEIR WARRANTY.

TOTAL JUNK

ps.com...

Old August 28th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

"michele" wrote in message
news
this is absolutely NOT the experience i have had with inland. i've been
using their products about 20 years.m

Me, too. I have 2 Wizlings, one on my service truck and the other in the
shop. They both are more than 20 years old and still going strong. One of
them had a switch go bad a couple of years ago, and I called Inland. They
sent me one at N/C and sent it priority mail, to boot.

I'd say that was pretty darn good customer service. All I asked them for
was the OEM switch mfg's part number, so I could go try to find one at an
electronics shop. I figured that the 18 year-old part wouldn't even be
available. I offered to pay for the part, and they wouldn't take my money.

Ya know? Customer service "sometimes" is all about how you present your
problem to the rep. I've found that "can you help me?" works a LOT better
than "you lousy SOB's make junk grinders".