Postage Stamp Quilt

Old April 13th 11, 03:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default Anne Orr Postage Stamp Quilt

67 looks a LOT younger than it used to be. LOL'
I made one of the pink/blue/white quilts 12 years or
so. The pattern was reroduced in one of the vintage
quilt magazines. I think there are photos here somewhere. Easy to do but
lots of work. Thanks to Sandy for the links. Anne Orr is a hero.
Taria
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Beggin' your pardon, ma'm, but 67 is not old. We don't even remember 67.
Polly

"Kate T." wrote in message
YES, YES, YES THAT'S THE BOOK!!!!!!! Thanks for doing all that
research. Thank you, Thank you.

Sorry for shouting, I didn't realize the book could be that old. 67
years old to be exact. Well I'm off to read my "history book" and try
to recreate history with todays fabrics. I am so pleased with the
inheritance my mother left me.

Well H-u-m-m-m-m, there is that box of crochet booklets, published in
black and white. Wonder if I have more Anne Orr and don't know it.
That's a discovery for another day. I got quilting to do. WOO-WOO

Kate T. South Mississippi

Old April 13th 11, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

How true, how very true - especially this week gg
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old April 13th 11, 07:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Monique in TX[_2_]

Default Postage Stamp Quilt

Anne Orr was primarily a cross-stitch designer, which is probably where
she got the idea for some of her patterns made up of little squares.

Before you launch into a postage stamp quilt, you might want to look
into the foundations-marked-with-squares method that is often used for
watercolor quilts. The idea is that you lay out all the squares on a
fusible grid and iron them in place. Then you fold the grid along a
lengthwise seamline and sew it all down the whole length. Repeat. Clip
the seams where cross seams will be. Then fold and sew along the width.
Saves loads of time! (Haven't tried it; seen it done and was very
impressed. For example:
http://www.amazon.com/Watercolor-Lan...N%3D0896892727
) No reason you couldn't do this on a smaller scale.

My mom made one of these mad postage stamp quilts. She went even further
and divided the inch squares into triangles. She went nuts doing it and
it turned out so huge it now takes up one whole dining room wall of my
sister's house.

Monique in TX
Old April 14th 11, 05:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I saw a store sample of one of those iron on grid postage stamp quilts at a
precious little shop in Tennessee. The stitcher wobbled just a little and
the result was pretty dismal. I really don't mean to be a cranky pants but
I would just croak if I'd put that much time into a quilt top and then be
disappointed. Polly

Old April 14th 11, 04:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Another negative to using the iron on grid is the weight of the
finished quilt. A postage stamp quilt is heavy enough with all the
seams required. Adding the extra layer of grid multiplies the weight.
Susan

Old April 14th 11, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nana.Wilson

I resemble that remark!! :-) I think the book is 70 YO. if is has been
around scince 1941. Maybe.

Nana

"Kate T." wrote in message
YES, YES, YES THAT'S THE BOOK!!!!!!! Thanks for doing all that
research. Thank you, Thank you.

Sorry for shouting, I didn't realize the book could be that old. 67
years old to be exact. Well I'm off to read my "history book" and try
to recreate history with todays fabrics. I am so pleased with the
inheritance my mother left me.

Well H-u-m-m-m-m, there is that box of crochet booklets, published in
black and white. Wonder if I have more Anne Orr and don't know it.
That's a discovery for another day. I got quilting to do. WOO-WOO

Kate T. South Mississippi

The untie-able knot on a postage stamp. Rodney Knots 9 June 20th 05 07:26 AM
postage stamp quilts Boca Jan Quilting 4 August 21st 04 06:56 PM
Needlework Postage Stamp Karen C - California Needlework 1 June 14th 04 05:59 PM
Wanted: Rubber-stamp replica postage stamp cancels Jackie Rubberstamps 4 March 5th 04 12:54 PM
Postage Stamp Quilts Sherry Starr Quilting 11 January 11th 04 08:13 PM