flannel sheets as backing

Old July 29th 09, 04:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Martha[_5_]

Default flannel sheets as backing

The person who wants me to make a memory quilt of her daughter's toddler
clothes gave me the child's first adult bedsheet, which is flannel, to
use as backing.

On thinking this over, I'm not sure this is a good idea. But I don't
know why!

What do you all think?

I could use some of the flannel in the blocks, so it would be there.

I will be machine quilting this.

TIA!

Martha
Old July 29th 09, 05:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

Personally I would NOT. Because the backing will then wear quicker then
the front. That's just my two cents though and I'm not sure it's worth
that...hahaha
Joanna

Old July 29th 09, 07:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

You could use it as batting instead, if you wanted to? and if it
doesn't have to be heavy and warm. The lady would know it's in there.
I am using these for hospital cot quilts for 'batting'. It works
beautifully, as they are usually so soft after having been washed for
years.
..
In message , Martha
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 29th 09, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

I had the same thought as Joanna when I read about the flannel
backing.

Susan

Old July 30th 09, 04:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I can't explain it. Flannel backing has never been a problem for me. Might
be the difference in the surface of the 'table' of the Bernina v. Viking.
My neighbor had the worst battle I ever witnessed trying to quilt a flannel
back on her beautiful new Viking Sapphire. The quilt just wouldn't move. I
didn't learn any new words but I did hear some used during swing-set
assembly. Polly

"Patti" wrote in message
You could use it as batting instead, if you wanted to? and if it doesn't
have to be heavy and warm. The lady would know it's in there. I am using
these for hospital cot quilts for 'batting'. It works beautifully, as
they are usually so soft after having been washed for years.
.
In message , Martha
writes

Old July 30th 09, 04:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

I suggest you NOT use flannel in the quilt itself! Instead, why not
use it for a pillow?
Old July 30th 09, 11:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate

Hey Martha

If that's what the lady wants, then abide by her wishes.
I use flannel on my quilts. I've had no problems with it for over 15
years.

As a matter of fact, my family members have requested I use flannel.
My sister has the first quilt I made with a flannel backing and its 15
years old.

I used Pledge on the bed of my machine so the flannel will slide
effortlessly while I quilt. I also use Polly's suggestion, many years
ago, of using some kind of thread lubricant to make the thread less
apt to break while quilting.

I lightly spray the batting with silicone to help the needle slide
through the batting. I both FMQ on my SM and my machine quilt frame.

Kate T. South Mississippi
Old July 30th 09, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I've used flannel for quilt backing and had no problems with quilting
them. I would be concerned about using a used flannel sheet for backing
because of concern for how it would wear. That would depend on how much
the sheet had been used.

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default
-----------

Old July 30th 09, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

How old is that sheet? How stretched out?
It may be thin in places, not nearly as strong in the middle as along
the sides (from many washings); any fraying along the edges?
From experience w/ "used bedding" for backing - be careful; it's a
good idea to have a stronger backing than an older, used flannel sheet.
Using it in the blocks sounds good, if it's as strong as the
surrounding fabrics.
Good luck!

R/Sandy

On 7/29/09 10:56 AM, in article
, "Martha"
wrote:

The person who wants me to make a memory quilt of her daughter's toddler
clothes gave me the child's first adult bedsheet, which is flannel, to
use as backing.

On thinking this over, I'm not sure this is a good idea. But I don't
know why!

What do you all think?

I could use some of the flannel in the blocks, so it would be there.

I will be machine quilting this.

TIA!

Martha

Buying Sheets for Backing Sherry Quilting 8 February 2nd 08 07:04 AM
Fitted Sheets Hexe Sewing 0 December 5th 05 06:49 AM
sheets Diane Carter Quilting 12 September 3rd 03 08:37 PM
Flannel quilt backing Jennifer Quilting 3 August 11th 03 03:40 AM
Help!! Fitted sheets Stefani276 Sewing 12 July 30th 03 02:57 PM