Gifts for the nursing homes

Old July 28th 09, 05:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Default Gifts for the nursing homes

Sandy's post about her MIL's experience at the rehab center reminds me
of the well received gifts my guild made for a local nursing home. If
any of you need to practice your quilting consider making pretty or
bright lap robes and other coordinating items for the nursing home or
rehab center to give to residents who do not receive birthday or
Christmas gifts from family. Check with the staff as to the sizes they
like. Here is what we made:

Lap robes for wheel chairs 36" x 36"
Nap quilts 48" x 72"
Wheel chair bags, drawstring style 18" x 18" or 10" x 14"
Wheel chair attached bag style (contact me for pattern)
Wheel chair seat pads to cover vinyl seat 20" x 20" with corner ties
Catheter bag cover 10" (top to bottom) x 12" (horizontal)
18" piece elastic through casing at top so finished at 8 1/2"

A matched set of seat pad, catheter bag cover, wheel chair bag and lap
robe is an especially nice gift. Of course everything must be sturdy
and able to withstand machine washer and dryer.

I can't understand people who say they are bored when there are so
many places needing donations and/or volunteers.

Susan
Old July 29th 09, 12:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

On Jul 28, 11:14*am, Susan Laity Price
wrote:
[...]

Thank you so much for posting this! As a new quilter, I came to this
conclusion a few months back when I made a nap quilt for my mother (in
nursing home) and her room mate. They love them and even though the
sewing isn't all that great, I'm sure it doesn't matter one bit. I
have two more nap quilts done and will try to do a few more to donate
to the home for the residents who don't receive Christmas presents.
It's a great way for me to practice stippling and other quilting
designs and use up scraps. I really appreciate the sizes you posted
too. Thank you so much! Donna
Old July 29th 09, 01:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Susan, please save that and play it again from time to time. I only
hesitate a little when my Newborns in Need group and I beg for help.
There's just bound to be some quilters here who will respond if 'reminded'
from time to time. Being able to give is one of our greatest blessings.
Polly

Old July 29th 09, 10:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

wrote:
[...]

Do you know where we could find patterns for some of those things?

Thanks,
Bev in TX
Old July 29th 09, 10:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Nancy's Notions has a good book on making items for charity such as
the wheel chair bags. Otherwise many of the items are just regular
quilts you just want to make them in the size your local nursing home
likes. It is a great way to try a new technique or fabric but have the
results a useful item. After all how many quilts do we need in our own
home?

Susan