Bias Maker

Old July 28th 09, 11:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Default Bias Maker

Back in May Jennellh gave a link for a Bias Tape Maker. Today in the mail I
got my ad from Hancock Fabrics and they have a Simplicity Bias Tape Maker
for $99.99. Their 40% off any notion coupon has a limit up $49.99 so we
can't use a discount on this. The picture shows the bias cloth threaded
through a bias metal thing to turn it, and then the bias goes through an
iron thing with an adjustable heat setting. Just thought yall might want to
know. No, I don't work there, but I LOVE to go look at all the gizmos.
Barbara in SC

Old July 28th 09, 11:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

gobsmacked!!!!!!!
$99 for what essentially is a regular bias maker with a wee iron attached.
that is insane when you can get the regular one for under $10 and use the
iron you already own.
how much bias tape do you use?
i went and looked at it and just dont see how they justify that price for
that item.
j.

"Bobbie Sews More" wrote...

Old July 29th 09, 01:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Jul 28, 5:27*pm, "Bobbie Sews More" wrote:
Back in May Jennellh gave a link for a Bias Tape Maker. *Today in the mail I
got my ad from Hancock Fabrics and they have a Simplicity Bias Tape Maker
for $99.99. *Their 40% off any notion coupon has a limit up $49.99 so we
can't use a discount on this. *The picture shows the bias cloth threaded
through a bias metal thing to turn it, and then the bias goes through an
iron thing with an adjustable heat setting. *Just thought yall might want to
know. *No, I don't work there, but I LOVE to go look at all the gizmos.
Barbara in SC

Do you know if it can do quilt bindings, if it allows up to 2.5 inches
of bias?
Now that would be worth it, to me. I think my absolute LEAST favorite
part of quilting is making the bias for the binding, turning it &
ironing it and burning
my fingers in the process.

Sherry
Old July 29th 09, 06:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

"I" would not pay $99.99 and I certainly would not use it enough to buy it.
I have the wide metal bias maker that you use on your ironing board. The
picture shows it being in a box. I haven't made it to the store to look at
it close.
Barbara in SC

Old July 29th 09, 08:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

If your quilt is square or rectangular, Sherry, there is no need to make
a bias binding. In fact it is probably better to use a straight cut.
..
In message
,
Sherry writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 29th 09, 10:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

On Jul 28, 7:28*pm, Sherry wrote:
Do you know if it can do quilt bindings, if it allows up to 2.5 inches
of bias?

....portion snipped
Sherry

I found it on the web at:
http://www.fabricdepot.com/index.php...&pageid=132067

Where it says, "Bias Tape Maker requires 1 7/8" strips to create one
inch single fold bias tape. Eight additional tips for a variety of
widths of bias tape will be available mid-summer!"

So it only makes single fold bias tape, which I would normally use for
applique -- not for binding a quilt.

You can see a video on its use at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inH4o41HBqw

NAYY
Bev in TX

Old July 29th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Seems like a shocking waste of money at any price! The little Clover
widget does the same thing, with the help of one's own iron, if I
should ever need folded bias tape.. Or am I missing something?
Roberta in D, sorry to sound grumpy, but it'S hot and I don't feel
like cooking

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 18:27:54 -0400, "Bobbie Sews More"
wrote:

Back in May Jennellh gave a link for a Bias Tape Maker. Today in the mail I
got my ad from Hancock Fabrics and they have a Simplicity Bias Tape Maker
for $99.99. Their 40% off any notion coupon has a limit up $49.99 so we
can't use a discount on this. The picture shows the bias cloth threaded
through a bias metal thing to turn it, and then the bias goes through an
iron thing with an adjustable heat setting. Just thought yall might want to
know. No, I don't work there, but I LOVE to go look at all the gizmos.
Barbara in SC

Pattern Maker and Viewer for Pattern Maker. F.James Cripwell Needlework 2 July 31st 05 08:38 PM
bias bars Julia Altshuler Quilting 29 July 18th 04 06:19 PM
Bias tape frood Quilting 14 July 8th 04 05:41 PM
Bias Begfest Kathy Applebaum Quilting 12 June 15th 04 04:18 PM
Help with Bias Binding Donna Maine Quilting 18 March 22nd 04 09:09 PM