What are your current quilting projects?

Old September 14th 07, 10:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carissa

Default What are your current quilting projects?

I have to put together a quilt from the 12 blocks I made during a year long
class, and I am in one of Terbear's swaps now too. I made 27 hexgons but I
am not sure why... anyone know how to turn hexagons into squares, by adding
faric to the edges, not cutting it to shape? And one day I will finish my
butterfly stars. I have two quilts waiting for a backing, but I hate to put
togther the 'sandwhich' so there they sit.

Carissa

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/Elywyn
Butterflies are not insects, they are
"Morag in Scotland" wrote in message
I never did get the hang of finishing one thing before starting another. I
currently have three works in progress. A nine patch Dora quilt for my 2
year old, a seaside wall hanging for my 4 year old and a hexagon christmas
wreath quilt/hanging which at this rate will be for Christmas 2015.
Morag

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
With school starting, vacations over, relatives gone back home
(hopefully!) ... it is time to rev up the needles! What about your
current project/s?

Right now I am working on the Pink Hug Quilt for my friend. This is a
support for when she has the mastectomy. Some generous quilters from RCTQ
Land have sent lovely pink fabric to enrich the quilt.

We have not had this thread in a while, so it will be fun to read the
replies! Thanks,

Pat in Virginia

Old September 14th 07, 12:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Morag in Scotland wrote:
[...]

Only three!!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old September 14th 07, 12:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Carissa wrote:
I have to put together a quilt from the 12 blocks I made during a year long
class, and I am in one of Terbear's swaps now too. I made 27 hexgons but I
am not sure why... anyone know how to turn hexagons into squares, by adding
faric to the edges, not cutting it to shape? And one day I will finish my
butterfly stars. I have two quilts waiting for a backing, but I hate to put
togther the 'sandwhich' so there they sit.

Carissa

Applique?

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old September 14th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

You just have to add four right-angled triangles to four of the sides to
make a square. Two of these triangles to fit, and two of their reverse
(because they are not symmetrical). If you tell me the length of your
hexagon sides, I could tell you the measurements for your triangles.
..
In message 1ksGi.46918$Pd4.29952@edtnps82, Carissa
writes
I have to put together a quilt from the 12 blocks I made during a year long
class, and I am in one of Terbear's swaps now too. I made 27 hexgons but I
am not sure why... anyone know how to turn hexagons into squares, by adding
faric to the edges, not cutting it to shape? And one day I will finish my
butterfly stars. I have two quilts waiting for a backing, but I hate to put
togther the 'sandwhich' so there they sit.

Carissa

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 14th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Or you could add triangles to two opposite sides and make diamonds. They
are easy to sew into rows. This should help you understand what I mean:
http://www.geocities.com/quiltfrenzy_archives/hexagonstar.html

Julia in MN
.

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old September 14th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

You do me good. Nice to know I'm not the only one that must have more than
one thing going on at once and not only in various stages but in various
forms (sewing/quilting/crocheting/knitting even tho the last 2 had to be on
a hiatus for a number of years. Knitting still is). I miss knitting in the
fall but I get over it. It'll be easier this year as I have been 'playing'
with the crochet hook.

Butterfly

Old September 14th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

On Sep 14, 12:35 pm, "Butterflywings"
wrote:
You do me good. Nice to know I'm not the only one that must have more than
one thing going on at once and not only in various stages but in various
forms (sewing/quilting/crocheting/knitting even tho the last 2 had to be on
a hiatus for a number of years. Knitting still is). I miss knitting in the
fall but I get over it. It'll be easier this year as I have been 'playing'
with the crochet hook.

Butterfly

"Morag in Scotland" wrote in m...

I never did get the hang of finishing one thing before starting another. I
currently have three works in progress. A nine patch Dora quilt for my 2
year old, a seaside wall hanging for my 4 year old and a hexagon christmas
wreath quilt/hanging which at this rate will be for Christmas 2015.
Morag

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
With school starting, vacations over, relatives gone back home
(hopefully!) ... it is time to rev up the needles! What about your
current project/s?

Right now I am working on the Pink Hug Quilt for my friend. This is a
support for when she has the mastectomy. Some generous quilters from RCTQ
Land have sent lovely pink fabric to enrich the quilt.

We have not had this thread in a while, so it will be fun to read the
replies! Thanks,

Pat in Virginia- Hide quoted text -

mymymy...i think i have 17 or 18 quilts to sandwich and quilt. some
are christmas gifts, others are bom's that i never finished, i have
probably 4or 5 table runners to finish the binding on. then i have my
applique i'm working on (almost a Baltimore Album). also have the
scrap quilt for the boys correctional home, and one for the lost/
pregnant teen mother's home (a shelter for pregnant girls, or in
crisis). i wanted to also start the football team quilt for my DIL's
brother in Calif. it doesnt seem like alot when you get in my sewing
room, but when it's all written down it's a little overwhelming.
this weekend is free for me, no work, no plans, and lots of rain! it
seems like y'all will know where i'll be!!!
Amy

Old September 14th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

LOL
Where do I start? working on diagrams for a couple of patterns.
Piecing tops for more patterns.
Have several tops which need to be quilted.
trying to find organization in the midst of chaos in the sewing
room/living room and elsewhere in the house. (Also need to find the
cutting table which is buried in the cutting room.....)

I am also working on a project that I "acquired" by being in the
right/wrong place at the time. A member of my guild chapter showed up at
the business meeting with a quilt belonging to a friend of hers. Seems
the friend's sister started the work on this kit quilt (cross stitch and
embroidery) about the time she was diagnosed with cancer. Sister worked
on it for the last couple years of her life, through the treatments and
all. (She was making it for her daughter.) When the woman died the quilt
got put "somewhere" and wasn't seen for a couple of years. Recently it
was found, and the mother of the maker tried to do a bit of the quilting
on it, but decided that it needed to be done by someone who knows more
about quilting. So the friend got it to the member of the guild who
brought it to the meeting to find someone to finish it. She found me.
G I'm a sucker for this kind of story. I am working on finishing the
quilting, all along the outer edge. It isn't bad, but is taking a lot of
time. (Those tops are usually printed on poly-cotton, there is a
mid-loft poly batting and the back is a sheet. Fortunately a not top
quality sheet so it isn't bad to work with. But the whole thing is
rather warm to have on me in this weather.)
Yes I will get paid for it, probably not minimum wage, but it will be
something. Fortunately the previously done quilting is not the best so
mine doesn't look bad with it. G Binding will be done in one of the
colors of the embroidery, since I dread trying to find a "white" that
would be anywhere near the same. G

I'm also working on some hexagon and half hex pieced things to be
assembled at some time into a quilt. and trying to get more done.
(More of that in separate thread.)

Mostly I am just hanging in,

Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Old September 14th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Woo-hoo! I've got it all quilted. Now to get the binding on...

Julia in MN

Julia in MN wrote:
I just sandwiched & spray-basted the lap-size Storm at Sea top that I
finished last week. Now I get to start machine quilting it. I'm almost
done handquilting my southwestern applique wall hanging. Then next week
it's time to do the guild's newsletter for October.

Julia in MN

Old September 14th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
- dlm.

Great question, Pat! I'm *still* hand-quilting "Annie's Garden." I
started the project when my SIL was diagnosed with BC a while ago. For some
reason, I find it difficult to actually work on this particular quilt. I
tend to put it aside and work on other things.

As for non-quilty things: I've just started working on the design for our
Christmas card. My goal this year is to design several cards and then
select the one that is the most elegant, understated, and easy to create.
Further, it will be the one that doesn't entail buying additional art
supplies. G

- dlm. in central MA

P.S. Wishing you luck with your Pink Hug Quilt!