Quilt stores along I80 from Chicago to Nebraska

Old March 28th 05, 08:30 PM
unclbennie

Default Quilt stores along I80 from Chicago to Nebraska

Hey everyone, I"m taking a road trip to see the sandhill cranes in
Kearney NE later this week. I have some free time and thought I would
meander my way there and back and was wondering if there are any "Must
see" quilt stores along the way. Anyone who lives along the way and
wants to have coffee with a wayward quilter drop me a line! I think
I'm leaving thurs from chicago.
Oh, and don't even think about touching the stash, I'm leaving the
stash protectors at home!
Karen
aka Unclbennie
aka Queen of the sky

Old March 28th 05, 08:50 PM
Mary in Rock Island IL

"unclbennie" wrote:

Hey everyone, I"m taking a road trip to see the sandhill cranes in
Kearney NE later this week. I have some free time and thought I would
meander my way there and back and was wondering if there are any "Must
see" quilt stores along the way. Anyone who lives along the way and
wants to have coffee with a wayward quilter drop me a line! I think
I'm leaving thurs from chicago.
Oh, and don't even think about touching the stash, I'm leaving the
stash protectors at home!
Karen
aka Unclbennie
aka Queen of the sky

There are several shops I know about, don't know about the "must see"
status.
Princeton IL has 2 shops, Quilter's Garden and Old Times. The first
is a farily typical shop, lots of samples, heavy on Moda. The second
has some of most fabrics ever made (or so it seems). Bolts are
stacked in double rows and there is not much atmosphere. If you are
looking for fabric, lots of it, and don't care that it is the latest
thing, this is the place.
Kewanee IL has a shop, The Quilt Box. It is fairly small but I found
some awesome flannel on their sale rack this winter.
Geneseo IL has one shop, Quilt Quarters. Also not very large, lots of
Thimbleberries and similar pallete fabrics.
Moline IL (right next to where I live) has two shops, The Quilt Basket
and Quilts by the Oz. They are within a few blocks of each other.
The first is newer and has an OK sale bin. The other has been aorund
for awhile and has a deeper selection of fabrics, some new and some
not so new.
Next would be Expressions In Thread in LeClaire IA. It is about a
year old and also has needlework supplies. I haven't been there for
awhile but do know we see a variety of their class samples at guild
show and tell.
There was a shop in West Banch IA but I heard that it has now moved to
Iowa City. I'll turn this travelogue over to Kathyl for further
details on West Branch, Iowa City, Kalona and points west...

Watch your private e-mail for how to contact me.

Mary
Old March 28th 05, 10:28 PM
Judie in Penfield NY

I have no idea of what quilt stores are along the way, but one of my all
time favorite restaurants is the Iowa Machine Shed and you will pass a
couple of those, be sure to stop for a meal. I think there is one in
Davenport and another in Urbandale, both of these are in Iowa.

http://www.hoari.com/machineshed.html

I never drive cross country without stopping!

Judie in Penfield NY

oups.com...

Old March 29th 05, 12:25 AM
Estelle Gallagher

unclbennie wrote:
Hey everyone, I"m taking a road trip to see the sandhill cranes in
Kearney NE later this week. I have some free time and thought I would
meander my way there and back and was wondering if there are any "Must
see" quilt stores along the way. Anyone who lives along the way and
wants to have coffee with a wayward quilter drop me a line! I think
I'm leaving thurs from chicago.
Oh, and don't even think about touching the stash, I'm leaving the
stash protectors at home!
Karen
aka Unclbennie
aka Queen of the sky

Hi Karen, Bout time you came over the pond and I could show you a few
things that would keep a wayward quilter out of mischief!!lol Have a
good time anyway.Hoping to make it over there in June ( but not Chicago
area unfortunately).Virginia is where DH sister lives.Hows the DWR
quilt. I often think of you and wonder how you are
Regards Estelle

--
Estelle UK
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gal.../ph//my_photos
Old March 29th 05, 01:50 AM
unclbennie

Estelle, Great to hear from you!
The DWR is almost finished, this has to be the hardest quilt I have
ever worked on, and I discovered that I HATE paper piecing, hard lesson
to learn on a queen size quilt :-)
If anyone is interested in the sandhill cranes, you can watch them at
this website, the awesome birds, and I can't wait to go see them!
http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/cranecam/
When I come across the pond I will make sure we get together! Hope all
is well with you!
Karen

Old March 29th 05, 02:25 AM
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska

7 or 8 quilt shops in Lincoln NE. In Omaha, Country Sampler and Log
Cabin. In Papillion, Country Sampler. In Gretna, (just off the
interstate) the Quilted Moose.

The Rowe Center near Grand Island was designed by the architecture firm
that my son works for! Neat building made of straw bales.

If you need addresses, etc., email me at

joan

Old March 29th 05, 03:46 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
Thanks, Mary; I'm printing this to take w/ me this week. g

The addy for the Princeton shops:
Old Times Quilters Heaven & The Lacery
954-956 N. Main St., PO Box 122
is a MUST, on the north end of town, next to the railroad tracks,
just south of I-80. Newest fabrics along w/ those older ones;
no credit cards (but they take out-of-town/state checks g).

Quilter's Garden
527 S. Main St (a couple of miles south of the hwy)

Btw, there's a quilt show in Princeton this weekend:
http://www.cbqg.info/

Ragmop/Sandy--my stash has already gone into hiding ;-D

Old March 29th 05, 04:34 AM
unclbennie

Joan,
The building is neat, I saw it last time we came through, wasn't when
the cranes were there. I'm going to spend one day doing the tourist
thing, and hiking some of the trails etc., I would love to have the
addresses, thanks for the info!
Karen
aka unclbennie
aka queen of the sky

Old March 29th 05, 03:16 PM
KJ

Ok, I'll take over for the Iowa City/Coralville, Amana, Kalona area. Whew,
I hope I can get this right!
The shop that was in West Branch (BR Le Quilts) that Mary mentioned has
now moved to the East side of Iowa City. If you take Exit 249 and come into
Iowa City until you get to Scott Blvd. Turn left on to Scott and go to Court
Street, turn right and go a half block to the driveway on the right that
leads to a restaurant and convenience market. The drive deadends at the
quilt shop. This shop has some nice batiks.
Getting back on I-80 is the easiest way to find the Coralville quilt
shop. If you take Exit 240 (Hwy 965) and go north about a 1/4 mile...(I'm
not good at distances, but it's not far) to Oakdale Road/Blvd. Go left at
the light, left at the dead end, then continue down the block looking for a
small sign (like a realtor open house sandwich board) that says "Common
Threads Quilt Shop. It will be on your left about a block. This shop is
very new, and has some nice Thimbleberries type fabrics and also juvenile
brights. Neither of these shops is "large" but each serves a niche in our
area.
The other two locations are off the interstate and I think if you were
trying to reach Nebraska in one day (certainly do-able from Chicago) you
might have to choose one town and perhaps hit the other one on the way home!
Kalona is South of Iowa City on Hwy 1. It's about 20 miles away,
however, a bit out of the way for your purposes if Nebraska is your goal for
the day. There are several quilt shops there. "Stitch 'n Sew Cottage",
"Ellen's quilt shop", "Whippoorwill (sp?)" as well as an antique quilt
display at the historic village. Kalona is almost a day's trip in itself.
You might want to Google Kalona for a better idea of what's there.
Amana can be reached from Interstate 80. However if you have stopped at
the Coralville quilt shop, I would get on Hwy 6 to go to MAIN Amana...it's a
little shorter. (Go south on 965 about a 1/2 mile and go right at the T and
you're on hwy 6). Again, it's about a 20 mile trip to Amana (however you're
headed West, so it's getting you in the right direction for your eventual
destination.) Follow signs to Main Amana and look for Heritage Designs sign
on the left hand side of the main road of shops in the town. (you will have
made a right turn off the road you came in on). Maps are very helpful for
all of this journey. Hopefully you can use them to your advantage! :-)
You probably pass more places on the way to Des Moines, but there are
two nice shops in the Valley Junction area of DesMoines. The Quilt Block
has lots of nice stuff. One of my favorites!
I don't know if I'm available, but I'll send my phone # privately in
case you need questions answered or a search party!

Kathyl
remove "nospam-" before mchsi

Sounds like fun!

m...

Old March 30th 05, 03:25 AM
unclbennie

Kathy,
THANK YOU!! Sounds like I"ll have my fill of quilt shops and cranes,
what a lovely way to spend three days :-)
I'll report back when I get home.
karen
aka unclbennie
aka queen of the sky