Quilty Gifts?

Old December 26th 11, 10:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Default Quilty Gifts?

I hope everyone had a good Christmas (or holiday of your choice) and had
the pleasure of giving and receiving gifts. Were any of yours quilty?

I gave several seasonal table runners (made back in January) and
received a roll of soft'n'bright batting and a new "daylight" work lamp,
both of which are much appreciated.

Now all I need to do is not eat for a couple of days so that I can fit
in front of the sewing machine again :-)

Lizzy
Old December 26th 11, 11:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
betsey

On Dec 26, 5:36*pm, Lizzy Taylor wrote:
I hope everyone had a good Christmas (or holiday of your choice) and had
the pleasure of giving and receiving gifts. *Were any of yours quilty?

I gave several seasonal table runners (made back in January) and
received a roll of soft'n'bright batting and a new "daylight" work lamp,
both of which are much appreciated.

Now all I need to do is not eat for a couple of days so that I can fit
in front of the sewing machine again :-)

Lizzy

i made my sister cupcake potholders as a hostess gift. she loved them
g. at thanksgiving, i made her a reversable apron (her question
"why? you know i don't cook! you sew so beautifully, couldn't you have
made me a table runner?".

My mom recieved an alpaca/silk scarf i knitted her. she's requested a
set of cupcake potholders....so, i'll make those one night after work
this week....

betsey
Old December 27th 11, 12:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

No gifts this year to each other by choice. After helping daughter with
down payment, retiling son's shower, helping daughter with new sewer line,
helping former student by living with us and setting up an apartment after
parents kicked him out, we're about tapped out this year. Using mileage and
transferring out timeshare for a week away was our gift to each other. Time
away from the chaos of school, the unusual stress of life this year, and
emotional times, was good enough for us to hike, cuddle, watch movies and I
got some handsewing done.

More on the former student saga and arrival home surprise later.

Steven
Alaska

Old December 27th 11, 02:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
betsey

On Dec 26, 7:35*pm, "Steven Cook" wrote:
[...]

Lizzy- Hide quoted text -

Steven-
Time away together is often the very best gift. and, it sounds like
you two gave wonderful things to your children, and to others!

Betsey
Old December 27th 11, 05:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

NOOOoooooooo ! We want to know all about the arrival home surprise. Not
later. Now.
Tell us. Polly

Old December 27th 11, 07:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Okay Polly, and others. You asked for it. And guess what. It inovlves the
bathroom remodel/bathroom remodeled from hell. So, here is the long saga.

So, it started snowing Thursday afternoon at our lovely home, but we were in
Tucson enjoying the sun and warmer but not as warm as we'd have liked temps.
Texted my former student and yes there was already seven inches of snow. By
Friday morning there was 18 inches. By Saturday there were a few more.
But, we flew back into Anchorage and were on our way home around midnight
Christmas Eve. Roads had surprisingly been decently plowed. Alas, our
driveway had not been since the day we left was filled with drama as my
former student's boyfriend was kicked out of his home for being gay, just as
my former student had expierenced, and we had to pick up him, his belongings
and the dogs at the local grocery store and drop the dogs off at former
foster mom's and then to former students apartment to drop them both off
with all the stuff, and then rush to the airport to leave. We forgot in the
rush to call our neighbors to let them know we were leaving so they could
watch the house and snowblow the driveway if needed.

So, 12:30 at night I parked down the road from the house and we trudged
through snow above our knees and shoveled a lane big enough to get the car
in the garage. About three car lengths, and fluffy, but not what I wanted
to do at that time of night after nine hours of flying. Got unloaded into
the downstairs and we encountered the SURPRISE. . . .

Water, water, everywhere in the remodeled-bathroom-from-hell. Dripping from
the ceiling, dripping out of the cabinet onto the washer and dryer, all over
the vanity counter and of course the runner rug, the shower rug and the
toilet rug were all full of water as well as standing water on the tile
floor. Bert had wet socks, I quickly stripped mine off and the search began
for the source of the latest flood. Behind the washer, under the vanity,
upstairs to the kitchen, the bathroom, and finally, I noticed water droplets
covering the side of the refridgerator. Yelling for Bert we pulled it out
and the water supply hose for the icemaker was shooting a fine stream into
the air. It apparently had been spraying most of the time we were gone, six
days. Back downstairs and we tore at the ceiling tiles to find the shutoff
valve which only partly worked so back upstairs to duck tape and electrical
tape the hose to staunch the flow and put a basin under the diminished drip.
Back downstairs to mop and clean up. To bed around 3:00. More adjusting of
the valve and more taping through Christmas day and called for a plumber
Monday morning but still a holiday, so off to Lowe's for advice and a new
hose and we are now back up and running. The cabinet it worse for wear
though and we bought a new one today as well and will use the damaged one in
the garage.

So mostly back to normal now, getting things mostly cleaned up and cleaning
house for a late Christmas dinner with our kids on Friday.

New Years is dinner with the boys. They need some love and support after
the last couple of weeks since their families have disowned them. That is
part two of the story. Dear Polly sensed something and emailed privately.
October through December have been trying in many ways through all of this.
I'll write more later, somehow. It's hard to bring it all up again.

We will prevail.

Steven
Alaska

Old December 27th 11, 02:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

(((Hugs))) You are a brave and calm home-owner! Hope this does not
mean a re-remodel!(And makes me glad my fridge is very low-tech.)
Roberta in D

Old December 27th 11, 03:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

My quilty gift was a cd of DDiL's tummy and impending Grandchild due in
June! - excuse for making baby quilts, wall hangings, eye-spies, big bed
quilts, etc. etc.

A great surprise as she is over 40 and already had three children (now
aged 14 to 20), when she met DS almost 10 years ago, so we had resigned
ourselves to no grandchildren of 'ours'. Very proud parents-to-be and
step-siblings too as it is a very much longed for addition to their
family. So great excitment here.

DH is clueless about scans so thought the pictures were out of focus
mistakes with the video camera left running, until we were congratulated
on becoming grandparents near the end of the film, and it clicked! Am
looking forward to watching it again when all our Christmas visitors
have left, and it is quiet.

What better quilty present?

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

Old December 27th 11, 04:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Congratulations Sally. What a lovely surprise - and a very original
gift!
Six months should be time enough for a few 'quilty things' anyway!
..
In message , Sally Swindells
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old December 27th 11, 05:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

The poor child is destined to be smothered in them!

Now where shall I begin......

On 27/12/2011 16:12, Pat S wrote:
Congratulations Sally. What a lovely surprise - and a very original gift!
Six months should be time enough for a few 'quilty things' anyway!
.
In message , Sally Swindells
writes
[...]

My quilty Christmas gifts Julia in MN Quilting 33 January 6th 08 05:05 PM
Up to something quilty Debra Quilting 3 January 16th 07 01:01 AM
What quilty maryd Quilting 47 December 11th 04 07:57 PM
Quilty gifts and other events Susan Laity Price Quilting 2 January 1st 04 12:56 PM
I did something quilty! Dianne & Greg Quilting 11 August 5th 03 10:34 PM