Everybody Out!

Old September 8th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Default Everybody Out!

Take a flashlight and screwdriver with you. I want you to go around to the
vent thing from your clothes dryer, open it, peer inside and check for
troubles. If they're generally unimportant, at least scrape the fuzzies
from the flap so it will close properly and not permit any critters easy
entrance. Then. Back inside. Inspect your clothes dryer filter and the
area where it's inserted and see if the vacuum cleaner is needed.
(probably) Next, pull your dryer from the wall and clean the tube that runs
from the dryer to the outside. How to get your body from behind the dryer
will be a challenge.
If you think this is too much trouble, don't even ask how much trouble
you'll have if you don't do it. DSis just survived a clothes dryer fire
and the trouble that caused was gruesome. This message is on topic if you
have a dryer. Oh my how I do love to cuddle a just rinsed and dried
Finished quilt. Yesssss.
I will be dropping by to see if all of you have heeded my warning. I
like my tea without sugar if you please. Polly

Old September 8th 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Thank you, Irene. She's fine and has a new dryer and bit of wall. I just
thought I needed to nag everybody. I am truly blessed with a vigilant DH
even though he truly terrifies me. Yesterday, he decided to go on the roof
and clean all those little vent-thingies from the kitchen and bathroom
piping. Surely upset the Yorkie. He didn't know what he was barking at.
Polly

"IMS" wrote in message
Polly, I do hope your sister is OK. What a nasty thing to have happen.

-Irene

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 21:26:18 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

[...]

-------------
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."
- Mae West

Old September 8th 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Glad they are ok Polly. If I remember right someone on the group here
had a big fire from a dryer vent clog a couple of years ago. We have to
watch for black widows in the vicinity of dryer vents and such. Yuck.

Tea here is always unsweetened. I have a collection of pretty glass
sugar and creamers hiding somewhere so if you need sugar you get an
old jam jar that is full of the stuff. Drop on by anytime.

Taria

Old September 8th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Sep 7, 9:26 pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Polly. That is very good advice.
I would also like to add that we ought to be sure that the vent is
covered with some
kind of screen. We had an awful incident once where a very large snake
crawled
up the vent, and into the inner works of the dryer. I did not know
this until I
ran the dryer on "high" for a good while and began to smell an awful
burning smell.

Also, a friend of mine's home burned because of a dryer fire. She
started the dryer
and left home. So I am always mindful of those two things.

I am so glad you came out okay.

Sherry

Old September 8th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Hey Polly: You just reminded me to call my appliance guy. I have him
come over to clean my dryer for me. He pulls the dryer out from the
wall and cleans everything on the outside including the floor under
the dryer, Then he takes the back off. I was amazed the first time
he did that. I couldn't believe the lint buildup in there. You'd be
surprised at the build up on the motor.

Kate South Mississippi

Old September 8th 07, 07:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lotsoflavender

I think this is something we do need to be nagged about, one of those jobs
we forget or put off doing.
Had to have our's looked at a while back and when the tech pulled it out
from the wall, the back vent was very clogged, with leaves and all sorts of
stuff! I clean the front filter all time but never gave the rear one a
thought.

Wendy in Nsw

Old September 8th 07, 10:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Polly Esther wrote:
[...]

We've had two 'scorchings', but neither from the Tumble Drier.

The first was from the magnifyer on the sewing light I have next to my
chair for hand sewing. I hadn't put the cover on after I used it, and
couldn't understand where the smell of burning was coming from. The sun
had gone through the mirror and burned a hole in my sewing bag.

The second was very recent. The kitchen fitters changed my 'old
fashioned' inset ceiling lights to halogen what I call twinkle lights.
Our ceilings are low and when one of the new cupboard doors was open its
natural stopping place was right under a light. Halogen lights give out
a lot of heat - reminded me of the old infra-red heaters - and the burn
went right through the veneer. We now have a new door and DH has chaged
the lights back to the old fashioned type that use normal bulbs. The
bulbs may get hot but they don't radiate heat.

When the man came to change the door yesterday I suggested that they use
it as a learning experience. If we'd have gone out and left the light on
and the door hadn't been shut we wouldn't have a house now. I wanted the
old fashioned lights anyway (the old ones had become brittle) but the
firm said they were unavailable - we shouldn't have believed them - we
got them straight away from our local lighting place.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old September 8th 07, 11:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Good point! And do you prefer any particular type of tea?
My dryer doesn't have a hose to the great outdoors, but a plastic tank for
condensation water instead. And I do clean the filter frequently -lint
swiped off the screen thingy after every load, and rinse out the
condensation filter once a month. Do I get a prize?
Roberta in D

Old September 8th 07, 12:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Absolutely certainly you get a prize. Take the entire weekend off and do
just as you please. Create something outrageously scrappy; that is a fun
venture for you isn't it? . . . and eat dessert first. Polly