Ok, You asked for it

Old April 21st 07, 10:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon Gates

Default Ok, You asked for it

FABULOUS - IT IS GORGEOUS!!
WOW!
Sharon in Mtl
"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well after an extended session today here is my latest quilt. The
infamous "Quilt from Hell".
Vital statistics: 66" x66"
1-1/2" finished squares of contrasting diagonals.
Much blood sweat and tears.

http://community.webshots.com/album/...YARSd?start=12

I'm going to go and lay down now.

John

Old April 21st 07, 11:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

G - R - O - A - N ! ! ! ! !

For that you should have to make us all quilts. About this
size would be fine for me - thanks!

A beautiful quilt. Congratulations.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
: On Apr 20, 9:30 pm, "Polly Esther"
wrote:
: I see a point that's blunted. You simply must send it
to me to fix. Polly

(snip):

: Not only did it not work, It was "Pointless".
:
:
: John
:

Old April 21st 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Heidi from Germany

What a beautiful quilt. I love triangles !
If you can't take it with you to the asylum, we could provide a happy
home for it here :-))
Heidi
John schrieb:

Well after an extended session today here is my latest quilt. The
infamous "Quilt from Hell".
Vital statistics: 66" x66"
1-1/2" finished squares of contrasting diagonals.
Much blood sweat and tears.

http://community.webshots.com/album/...YARSd?start=12

I'm going to go and lay down now.

John

http://home.vrweb.de/~hbquilts/
mail: please remove quilt from address
Old April 21st 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Apr 20, 8:42 pm, John wrote:
Well after an extended session today here is my latest quilt. The
infamous "Quilt from Hell".
Vital statistics: 66" x66"
1-1/2" finished squares of contrasting diagonals.
Much blood sweat and tears.

http://community.webshots.com/album/...YARSd?start=12

I'm going to go and lay down now.

John

After a good nights sleep I can explain the process of this quilt. It
all started with the excess of small pieces left over from other
quilts. Rather, the large excess due to over buying of the fabric. I
had originally intended to make it 1" finished sized squares but upon
cutting the 2-1/2" strips into diagonals I found that made 1-1/2"
pieces finished. so 1-1/2" pieces finished it is. Then after sewing
the diagonals together in contrasting squares I stacked the various
squares in piles on a work table and picked random squares and sewed
them together into a long strip. The fun came next in trying to figure
out the placement of the squares in the next strip that wouldn't
exactly match and adjoining strip. After all was said and done, and
joined together into a finished top, I pinned together the fabric and
yesterday morning starting at 8 am, started top stitching in the ditch
along each of the 40 lines separating squares in each direction with a
walking foot and Janome 1600P. I finished last night about 9 O'clock
after taking a break for lunch and dinner of about 15 minutes for each
and 20 minutes for a dog walk. It is amazing what you can accomplish
with a high speed machine and a dedicated amount of time and no
interruptions. My wife left for a weekend get together in Columbus
with one of her girly organizations, and it was just me and my
machine. I love the random nature of the colors into various color
patterns that seem to never stay still. There are about 20 different
colored blocks that make up the whole pattern.
In a curious aside, we used to know a young woman that worked for my
wife in California who came over to our house so I could show her
woodworking techniques in my shop in the basement. She wanted to learn
how to make furniture and I used to spend a couple of hours one or
twice a week for a couple of months showing her how to do the various
procedures required in making furniture. You might notice that in the
picture of the quilt, it is positioned on the floor on top of some
Persian Rugs. We have a large collection of mainly Persian Tribal Rugs
on the floors of our house and when this gal came over she used to be
troubled by the patterns that the rugs made. She had Epilepsy and the
patterns would trigger a seizure if she looked at them. She would have
to come to the front door and then go down to the basement door and I
would then go down and let her into the shop in the bottom portion of
the house which is where the shop was located. The point of this whole
story is that the color patterns on the quilt almost trigger that sort
of effect on me. While I don't suffer from Epilepsy, I can see the
shifting effect visually of the patterns. Very curious and a most
pleasing visual experience.
The whole thing was a probably the most demanding quilt that I have
tried. Not from the complexity of the design, but from the sheer gut
determination that was required to finish the darn thing. I am happy
with result, and looking forward to a nice 60 mile bicycle ride today
to clear my brain, or what is left of it. Thanks for the feedback; And
now for something completely different.

John

Old April 21st 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

That is so interesting John. I'm astonished that there are only 20
combinations.
The way you describe the quilt as almost moving - and I said in my post
that it was 'shimmery'. Thinking of strobe lighting, and the way it
affects epilepsy sufferers, I can understand that this quilt would do
the same. How amazing.
It's still a work of art, though! and a testament to patience and
determination.
..
In message .com, John
writes

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 21st 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

That is awesome. Oh my, what a nightmare. What a dream come true! Well
done! Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap!!!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old April 21st 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

This is my absolute favorite of everything you've done so far! (Well, I also
love the Shaker quilt rack, but it didn't involve needlework.)
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap, bestowing the Royal seal of approval!

Old April 21st 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Idahoqltr[_2_]

I like the way my eyes follow the reds in the lower corners. I have
not got the patience to do something like that! It is a great
accomplishment. Congrats!

Old April 21st 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti S

Holy Cow! I think you deserve to lay down in a Presidential Suite
somewhere in the Bahamas!
What a beautiful quilt.... gorgeous!

Patti in Seattle

Old April 21st 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry Starr[_2_]

That is absolutely amazing! It does make me want to try something like
that, but I'm not sure I could do it. I absolutely must get some of my old
UFO's done before I tackle anything else VBG Of course, DH & I have
been taking some trips lately, and I have bought at least 4 new projects to
add to my never ending stack of "important" things to get done, lol.

Sherry Starr