Soul food

Old September 30th 05, 01:31 AM
nzlstar*

http://gocalifornia.about.com/cs/cal.../festivals.htm
heres some more.
i'm starved now, lol.
food, food, glorious food
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar

"nzlstar*" wrote...
http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=ut...chini+festival

how come calif gets all the best food festivals, waaaaaaaaaaa.
i'd have to move back there to get to all of them.
not sure setting up a new place to live is what i fancy doing tho.
i got enough on my plate here now.
if only.....
jeanne

Old September 30th 05, 03:07 AM
Patti S

When I want a "fast fix" - it's gotta be a big slab of hand sliced
sourdough bread, broiled, with real butter, garlic and parmesan cheese.
When I want to take a little more time, I gotta have "Better Than Sex"
cake. (You guys can divi up my share of chocolate)

Hugz
Patti in Seattle

Old September 30th 05, 03:21 AM
Kate Dicey

C & S wrote:
Kate, I peeked at your web site. Nice costumes! DD wants to be Hermione
for Halloween. I haven't a clue how to make her costume. I figure a
graduation gown would work in black with a crest (haven't found that
either). I've looked for patterns at Johanns and found nada. Perhaps you
could enlighten me. Thanks

James's wizard costume was based on a jacket pattern: I just made the
'gown' edge to edge, and the under-gown with a round neck. Both were
ankle length and had long straight sleeves, as wide at the cuff as they
were at the soulder. I flared the 'skirt' area of both out to a slight
A line for ease of walking. Nothing like as complex as an accademic
gown! I didn't do a hood on that one, but I did add one to a cloak I
made last year for his Aragorn costume. We have yet to get round to
taking pix of the Aragoen outfit!

As for the badge... Well, there are lots of pictures of the various
badges about, and I dare say some felt applique would work... That or
cotton. Just Bondaweb it on and stitch round it.

The kids wear typical UK school uniform in grey: pleated skirts or
'school trousers' (like suit trousers), V neck jumpers*, and white
shirts and ties. The scruffy way the boys wear it in the third film is
typical of yer Year 9 student!

*These tend to be the 'school colour': some round here are bright red,
some grey, some navy, some maroon... They wear blazers with them, with
the school badge on.
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old September 30th 05, 03:34 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
Oh, c'mon, Jeanne! --the "best food festivals" ?
How can you say that when there are ice cream
& black-eyed peas & crawdad & bar-b-que fests in Texas?
With Tx. wine & beer! Along w/ jalapeño, strawberry,
kolache, yam, salsa/hot sauce, & peach fests.
Don't forget the Luling Watermelon Thump. And
the Rattlesnake Roundup (you catch 'em, you eat 'em)
in Swee****er. We invented chili cook-offs and
damn'-hot food competitions. G Starting this
weekend, you can get The Best Cornydogs at the
state fair over in Dallas.
Dublin has the annual Dr.Pepper fest.
And no matter what you eat there, the best festival
is at The Really Big Quilt Show in Houston. ;-D
Meanwhile, enjoy these recipes from RCTQers:
http://www.redearthroses.com/quilts/rctq/

We loved the pumpkin fest at Half Moon Bay and
the many, many wine festivals all over the S.F. area. ;-)

Ragmop/Sandy--sticking w/ Dr.Pepper & sunflower seeds, thanks G

"nzlstar*" wrote in message
http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=ut...chini+festival

how come calif gets all the best food festivals, waaaaaaaaaaa.
i'd have to move back there to get to all of them.
not sure setting up a new place to live is what i fancy doing tho.
i got enough on my plate here now.
if only.....
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar

"Marcella Peek" wrote...
Conveniently enough the chocolate festival and PIQF are the very same
weekend this year. How's that for fun, quilt things during the day,
chocolate in the evening to get your energy back for the next day of
quilt show.

The garlic festival is very tasty but is the last full week of July.

I know there's a mushroom festival in Morgan Hill, and asparagus in
Stockton but I've not heard about a zucchini festival.
marcella

"nzlstar*" wrote:
ooh ooh, do they do this every year?
i'd come for that, even tho i dont eat that much chocolate itself.
i do love choc ice cream and cookies....
oh wait, that will play havoc with my cholesterol.
well sounded good at the time.
what else ya got in the area for fun stuff in oct?
oh oh, when was/is PIQF? thats around that time, eh.
yes i might just add that to the next agenda (going to houston for the
'really big shoe') hopefully in 2006 unless something gets in my way.
jeanne
the garlic and zucchini festivals in gilroy area sound like fun
tho....too
far away from oct i think tho

"Marcella Peek" wrote...
If you're going to keep the title, then I think you need to visit in
October. The church down the road has a Chocolate Festival. They
give
you a three and a half hour time slot and you go into their activity
room at the appointed time. The room has tables set up along all the
walls and chocolate from all sorts of shops is out for the eating -
candy, cookies, ice cream, chocolate bars, chocolate milk..... You
eat
until you are sick or until your time has ended. They usually have a
raffle and the last time I was there they had enough prizes that
everyone got one. There is also lots of coffee and ice water to wash
it
all down.

Wanna come?

http://www.uccbelmont.org/events.htm

marcella

Old September 30th 05, 03:42 AM
Taria

......and don't forget we have happy cows : )
Kolache is one of my comfort foods. Apricot
my fav. That is hardly texan, you all must
have stolen that from the Czech's.
Thought of you when I saw the marinated in
dr. Pepper beef recipe the other day Sandy.
Taria, still missing fats

Old September 30th 05, 03:50 AM
Sandy Foster

In article gC1%e.15833$qC4.5058@trnddc02,
Taria wrote:

.....and don't forget we have happy cows : )
Kolache is one of my comfort foods. Apricot
my fav. That is hardly texan, you all must
have stolen that from the Czech's.
Thought of you when I saw the marinated in
dr. Pepper beef recipe the other day Sandy.
Taria, still missing fats

I'm a different Sandy, but I adore Kolache! I haven't had it in ages,
though. :S My favorite was always prune, but apricot is a close
second.... Anyone have a good recipe?
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old September 30th 05, 04:07 AM
NightMist

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:03:47 -0400, "C & S"
wrote:

I'm curious as to what everyone's favorite "pick me up food" is. Myself, I
love dark chocolate. I have a secret stash (which is not so secret anymore)
of Dove Dark chocolate (goes well with a latte). I'd also like to know when
the "Queen of Chocolate" on this ng will relinquish her title so that I can
become the official chocolate taster. Perhaps I could self appoint myself
"Princess of dark chocolate".

I more cook than eat, and what I cook is dependant on the weather.

We are now officially into "must fill the cave with food" season, and
I don't have anything to can this year. So I have been baking, and
this morning I moved to frying.

The kids were delighted to discover that I woke up at an ungodly hour
and decided to make doughnuts. While I was about it I made a batch of
calla as well. This was kiri-pet's first experience of calla. She is
delighted with them though she tried not to eat too many (they are
best hot out of the oil and sprinkled with sugar.) She said she
oughtnt be surprised that I can deep fry rice pudding as she has seen
me deep fry chocolate.

NightMist
should there be a ' in oughtnt?
--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole
Old September 30th 05, 05:26 AM
the black rose

C & S wrote:

I'm curious as to what everyone's favorite "pick me up food" is.

Double chocolate Milano cookies.

--

the black rose
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old September 30th 05, 06:09 AM
Elizabeth Young

C & S wrote:
I'm curious as to what everyone's favorite "pick me up food" is.

Cream of Wheat

liz young in warmish california
Old September 30th 05, 09:36 AM
SNIGDIBBLY

Well it did to me too - so I checked the pantry and I have some nice lean
smoked bacon, celery, onions, potatoes and evaporated milk - reckon that's
what I will fix for supper tonight. DS had to leave in the middle of DGDs
soccer game last night with a stomach bug so he could use some comfort food.
DGD plays defender position and won her game 2 to 1. So far they are 3 and
1 for the season.

MY mothers comfort food was cold buttermilk, sweet yellow cornbread, salt&
pepper and chopped green onions served on the porch in a huge ice tea glass.
She would sit in her rocker and eat it right out of the glass with a long
handled teaspoon. Not my thing but boy did she enjoy it. She also like to
pour a small bag of spanish peanuts in a bottle of RC Cola and then drink
it.
SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Phyllis Nilsson" wrote in message
Oh, my golly. This sounds glorious.

Tina wrote:
I love potato soup Snigs - as well as sweet corn bread in the cast iron
skillet (another specialty of ex-GMIL)! You make it and I'll be there
to eat!

Hugs to you
Tina, very, very grateful for the thought!

Mexican Food in New England meijhana Beads 7 August 15th 04 06:50 AM
dyeing with food colouring Els van Dam Yarn 14 July 1st 04 07:17 PM
no food by mail? JL Amerson Beads 84 January 30th 04 06:44 AM
Food beads revisited Jalynne Beads 22 September 8th 03 05:21 PM
hummingbird food/ liquuid recipe Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 30 August 27th 03 01:40 AM