Soul food

Old October 2nd 05, 12:18 AM
Sally Swindells

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 15:56:44 -0500, "teleflora"
wrote:

"C & S" wrote in message
I bet your dad's gravy must be good! Now that I think of it, Mom would
have
probably used coffee to (we did come home for lunch). She used whatever
was
around. Dad drank coffee in the morning and tea at lunch and onward. She
didn't used cornstarch but flour. She would make a batch of roasted/brown
flour (put flour in a hot pan and cook until brown). From the fat and
dripping she would cook her onions, than add the flour followed by the
liquid. I haven't mastered the art of gravy making as of yet.

I've been married for 33 years and cooking for the last 20 gr and gravy is
still the only thing (outside of most baking) that I still have to measure
for.

Just remember "2". 2 - Tablespoons of grease, 2 - Tablespoons of flour and
2 - Cups of milk.

That's gravy.

Cindy

Not in UK - never have milk in gravy - milk goes in sauce! - not in
all, but in most. Gravy is most definitely savoury, for meat, and made
with stock, hopefully wine, or if all fails, water!.
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/t...y,1025,RC.html

Did a search for Sauce on the same site, but there were 369 of them!
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Old October 2nd 05, 12:38 AM
Debi Matlack

Where on erarth does he get them? My friend in Connecticut had his mom send
him some from Florida periodically. Scott swore he never could find them.
Another friend has in-laws in upstate NY and says she's never seen them in
the stores up there. Maybe someone up there someplace has developed a tatse
for them...;-)
--
Debi

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Debi: My DB in NY eats scratch grits for breakfast several times a week.
PAT

Debi Matlack wrote:

Unless you live in the southern US, it's nearly impossible to get grits
of any kind, even instant grits, which are an abomination in most
Southerner's minds.;-)

Old October 2nd 05, 12:55 AM
Taria

Lots of grains including grits can be found at health food stores.

Dad makes grits from a box labeled 'instant' but he cooks them for
a good while (more than a half hour) He loads them with salt and
sausage and cheese and most of the grandkids love them. We never
ate them growing up and they take some getting used to imo.
Taria

Old October 2nd 05, 01:23 AM
CNY/VAstitcher

Debi Matlack wrote:
Where on erarth does he get them? My friend in Connecticut had his mom send
him some from Florida periodically. Scott swore he never could find them.
Another friend has in-laws in upstate NY and says she's never seen them in
the stores up there. Maybe someone up there someplace has developed a tatse
for them...;-)

I've seen grits located in the same aisle of the grocery store as the
instant oatmeal and such. HUbby will eat hominy but not grits, dad will
eat grits but not hominy....odd relatives I have..me, I don't eat either
Old October 2nd 05, 03:39 AM
NightMist

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:04:09 GMT, "Debi Matlack"
wrote:

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
So grits - I have translated them into a sort of creamy porridge but
made of corn not oats, with fried eggs and according to a later post,
gravy, on them. Can't have got it right can I?

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Sounds about right to me!
Debi

If I recall correctly, which I might not be doing, the difference
between grits and cornmeal is that grits are ground hominy.

Hominy if I am correct (note previous disclaimer) is just corn that
has had the outside of it softened or removed by being soaked in a
solution of mineral lime.

NightMist
--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole
Old October 2nd 05, 10:28 AM
Roberta Zollner

Grits are whole maize kernels that have been soaked in lye to soften the
seed coating and release the starch molecules. The kernel then puffs up.
After processing to remove the lye etc., the dried kernels can be ground to
varying degrees of coarseness. The result is cooked with water into a kind
of thick porridge.
Roberta in D

"Sally Swindells" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...
(clipped).

And what are grits? - always wondered.

(Have put your soup recipes in my file and will get the celery next
time I shop. Next soup I do is butternut squash, as I bought the
ingredients twice (senior moment!)
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:55:59 -0500, "SNIGDIBBLY"
wrote:

Sure nuf - I was raised on the stuff. Make a roux of flour, butter, salt
and pepper. Add a quart jar of canned crushed tomatoes and cook with
enough
water to thin it to the right gravy consistency. Serve over biscuits,
fried
taters and onions, mashed taters, corn bread, grits, rice, homemade egg
noodles, what ever your fancy desires. Just another creative way to use
up
the abundance of tomatoes we got in the garden each year. I liked it over
meatloaf, or chicken fried steak - yum!!

Old October 2nd 05, 01:51 PM
Pat in Virginia

Gee, we've been married for 37 years, and I've always done the
cooking and I STILL measure EVERYTHING!! Except maybe pasta ... I
eyeball the pasta and the water. Cooking is not fun for me. Oh,
whit, I CAN make a nice gravy! I use that wonda-flour (TM) and
just sprinkle into the pan while stirring like mad; I use warm
milk too, enough to satisfy the drippings, alternating with that
wonda-flour. Dang, now I'm HUNGRY again! PAT

Old October 2nd 05, 03:15 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Grits is ground hominy. Well thats a simple answer. There is a process
that you don't want to know about that involves lye - to remove the tough
hull on whole kernel corn - white usually. If left whole it is called
hominy. The corn is cooked and dried and coarse ground. It is then called
grits. It is reconstituted in boiling water and resembles a coarse mush.
Very bland until you add something to it. Cheese, maple syrup, whatever.
I've heard some say it is an acquired taste - but since I've ate it since
birth - I reckon I already acquired the taste. LOL!!
SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
Sounds good - though I think I prefer my cereal for breakfast. More
of a supper or lunch on a cold day recipe for me. Can't manage the
'full English breakfast' of Grapefruit/fruit juice, bacon, eggs, fried
bread, tomatoes, mushrooms, sausages, etc. followed by toast and
marmalade any more.

Its the 'biscuits' that stump me now. (Our biscuits are your cookies,
and can't imagine tomato gravy poured over a nice chocolate
digestive!) I tried googling, but found it seemed to be dog biscuits
and the British type.

Do you have a recipe? I think it is a relation to the scone, but
different. (My scone recipe is 8oz flour, 1/4 teasp. salt, 1/2 teasp
soda bicarbinate (baking soda?), 1 teasp cream of tartar, 1-2oz marg
or butter, sugar if desired and milk to mix, and if you want 'rich tea
scones' add an egg and less milk and 1-2oz sugar, and you can add
1-2oz dried fruit if you want to). Sorry - all my recipes are in
lbs/oz as we don't use cups over here (though I have a set of 'cups' I
bought when I bought my US cookery book (which doesn't have biscuits
but does have scones in!) My scone's always seem to rise more than
anyone elses, and I think its because they use baking power, and my
1950's recipe still uses separate baking soda and cream of tartar.

Old October 2nd 05, 05:32 PM
Pat in Virginia

Addendum to my own post. Still another correction. I use WATER or
BROTH for the gravy. I use warm milk for mashing or whipping
potatoes.
PAT, who really should NOT post prior to at least one shot of
caffeine, in VA/USA

Old October 3rd 05, 09:35 AM
Hanne Gottliebsen

He - I thought the "set aside" meant to take the bacon/onion out of the
pan for the time being :-)

Now it all makes sense!

Thanks,
Hanne in London

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:
Everything is cooked in one pan. You just add the cubed potatoes to the
bacon/celery/onion mixture. I made an assumption - I should know better
than that. Add enough water to just cover the potatoes and cook until
tender. Then add the milk and the cream of celery soup - or not - as you
desire.

Mexican Food in New England meijhana Beads 7 August 15th 04 06:50 AM
dyeing with food colouring Els van Dam Yarn 14 July 1st 04 07:17 PM
no food by mail? JL Amerson Beads 84 January 30th 04 06:44 AM
Food beads revisited Jalynne Beads 22 September 8th 03 05:21 PM
hummingbird food/ liquuid recipe Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 30 August 27th 03 01:40 AM