DIY sewing machine table

Old March 5th 12, 03:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Default DIY sewing machine table

The table does have that bar on both sides. I might change my mind and
use a different table - I don't have the table yet - was just thinking
to have the same kind as my existing table to make it easier to reuse
for dinner parties :-)

Hanne in DK

Den 05-03-2012 16:14, Roberta skrev:
My (purchased) sewing table came with an acrylic insert. and there is
room enough to reach under and change the bobbin. On days when my
hands get a bit clunky, the insert gives way a little and lifts itself
up, falls back into place when I'm done.
Does your table have that bar on both sides? I'm thinking that would
be a deal-breaker for me.
Roberta in D

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 20:48:53 +0100, Hanne in
wrote:

I was chit-chatting about this with a friend (my friends husband, who is
my goto guy in this area for drilling and stuff that needs two people
working, he also sews and I think it would be easy to talk him into
helping me with this project).

He also mentioned about the bobbin. Basically, I cannot see how my hands
can reach under the table regardless of wood or clear inset (there is a
bar at the front of the table to go under). So I'm guessing I'd have to
lift/slide the inset to change the bobbin. No other levers at the
business end of my pfaff (controls are either above or way to the right,
where I would not have the inset over anyway.

Still considering the "perfect way" of doing this :-)

Hanne in DK

Den 04-03-2012 15:12, Roberta skrev:
Lovely work on that table! I like the careful shaping around the
machine. However... How easy is it to change the bobbin? Does your
machine have any buttons or levers near the base, like my Pfaff does?
If so, you might be better off ordering an acrylic insert specially
made to take all those things into account. And remember to try out
the table with your sewing chair before you start cutting wood, to
check there's enough room for a lowered machine in between your legs
and the table top.
Roberta in D

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 00:24:00 +0100, Hanne in
wrote:

Dear all,

I'm currently looking to move to bigger quarters and high on my list for
after the move is a sewing machine table where the bed of the machine
can sit flush with the table top.

Well, I came across this series of pics that shows how one is
constructed. The text is in Swedish, but the pics are pretty
descriptive, I think.

http://www.andersj.se/sybord.htm

I like this one a lot, because it does not require a more complicated
inset. Looks a bit more doable to me :-) And can be made from an IKEA
table that matches my current dining room table, so that I can use the
sewing table in the dining room if I have lots of guests - hehe.

If anyone has additional tips, please share!

Hanne in DK