DIY sewing machine table

Old March 3rd 12, 11:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Default DIY sewing machine table

Dear all,

I'm currently looking to move to bigger quarters and high on my list for
after the move is a sewing machine table where the bed of the machine
can sit flush with the table top.

Well, I came across this series of pics that shows how one is
constructed. The text is in Swedish, but the pics are pretty
descriptive, I think.

http://www.andersj.se/sybord.htm

I like this one a lot, because it does not require a more complicated
inset. Looks a bit more doable to me :-) And can be made from an IKEA
table that matches my current dining room table, so that I can use the
sewing table in the dining room if I have lots of guests - hehe.

If anyone has additional tips, please share!

Hanne in DK
Old March 4th 12, 12:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Di Maloney[_3_]

Hanne,

That's exactly what I want too.

Am I correct in thinking that someone bought a table and altered it to suit
their needs or is it an IKEA product made like that?

Di
In very very wet Victoria, Aust but not as bad a NSW.

Old March 4th 12, 12:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Di,

Sadly, there is no IKEA piece that is just made for us!

They didn't use IKEA table (but I will, because then height/width will
be perfect for my other use + it is cheap).

In fact this guy did a table that you can unscrew the legs, to put it
away. The other end clips onto the cutting table on the left. So,
really, he wanted something that can be put away, that is not a priority
for me - in fact, I long to be able to leave my sewing out!

But I think any table that comes with a frame for the top to rest one
would be easy to alter. Lots of small tables only have the corner legs,
in which care you'd need to add a support that runs along the length of
the table at the front (the guy did that in the pics).

Hanne in DK

Old March 4th 12, 01:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Di Maloney[_3_]

Thanks for your reply Hanne, I will print off the pictures and have a look
at IKEA to find one that might be suitable.

Di

Old March 4th 12, 02:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Hanne, I made a table like that using an inexpensive 6 ft. banquet
table that I bought at an office supply store. I used L-brackets to
hold the shelf for the sm. The only caution I'd advise is consider
the metal framing under the table when you position the cut-out.
Think a bit about what you want to keep to the right side of the sm-
pin cushion, scissors, etc. and allow enough room. Be sure your legs/
knees will fit under the lowered sm- if the table is fairly low it
could be a problem??? And then think how far back you want the cut-
out. I like having a fair amount of space in front of the machine to
rest my arms. Some quilters may like the sm closer to the edge of the
table. My current table is made using 2 bathroom-type cabinets (not
as tall as kitchen cabinets) with a 3X5.5 ft. Formica top. I LOVE
it!

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...60435514BcFhty

Good luck with your project!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old March 4th 12, 03:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

On 03/03/2012 6:24 PM, Hanne in DK wrote:
Dear all,

I'm currently looking to move to bigger quarters and high on my list for
after the move is a sewing machine table where the bed of the machine
can sit flush with the table top.

Well, I came across this series of pics that shows how one is
constructed. The text is in Swedish, but the pics are pretty
descriptive, I think.

http://www.andersj.se/sybord.htm

I like this one a lot, because it does not require a more complicated
inset. Looks a bit more doable to me :-) And can be made from an IKEA
table that matches my current dining room table, so that I can use the
sewing table in the dining room if I have lots of guests - hehe.

If anyone has additional tips, please share!

Hanne in DK

For anyone like me who needs some help with Swedish I found that Google
translate does a pretty good job!

Also, a while back I saved a page with good instructions for a sewing
machine table. Fortunately the archived page is still there at:
http://web.archive.org/web/200404122...ble/table.html
One of these days when I get my Round Tuit I'll make myself a table with
insert.

Allison

Old March 4th 12, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary in Rock Island IL[_2_]

On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 22:54:59 -0500, Allison
wrote:

For anyone like me who needs some help with Swedish I found that Google
translate does a pretty good job!

Also, a while back I saved a page with good instructions for a sewing
machine table. Fortunately the archived page is still there at:
http://web.archive.org/web/200404122...ble/table.html
One of these days when I get my Round Tuit I'll make myself a table with
insert.

Allison

I'm glad that is still around. He used to be a "regular" here, I miss
his perspective and sense of humor.

Mary
Old March 4th 12, 04:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

My sm table has only one little drawer to the right. It crosses my mind
that there's a lot of wasted space where I could put important things if
there were 4 drawers instead. The table supports won't allow any additional
drawers but it sure would be nice if we'd thought about that when planning.
Polly

. com...

Old March 4th 12, 06:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

I believe the names are kept the same all over - I'm going to be using a
melltorp table. The top doesn't quite rest on the bar at the front, but
it comes with spacer, so I think it should work.

Hanne in DK

Old March 4th 12, 06:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Leslie,

Very cool table - I have been thinking of something like that,
particularly since you can get cut-offs of worktop cheap and long!

My machine is a pfaff and its built-in extension table is curved, not
flat on top. This means that without the loose piece coming in from the
front, I'd need to have one that fits on three sides (something that
just looks more complicated to me).

The beauty of the IKEA table is that I can cut and build for the SM
before I attach the metal bar in front :-)

Thanks for the pointers about placement of the SM.

Hanne in DK