sewing machine totes?

Old January 7th 12, 11:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
Pauline[_3_]

Default sewing machine totes?

I take my machine with me quite a bit. I belong to a couple of
mini-quilting groups and I take classes & workshops that my guild offers.
I've had a few totes. Two I picked up at TSWLTH with my coupons and they
were fine, but I really wanted the stability of a carrier with the spinning
wheels. I talked myself out of spending the money on one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...1br214p7z 7_e
many times & finally broke down & bought one last year. I love it & I'm
sorry I waited so long to get one. I happened upon a matching project case
at a deep discount on Nancy's Notions that goes with my tote, so I'm very
happy. Lime Green is my favorite color!

Pauline
Northern California

"betsey" wrote in message
do you use them? worth the cost? any brand preference? i'm starting
to sew more (after a looooooooooong absence) and taking some classes---
and trying to decide if i want one, if i will use it, if it is just
something else to take up space.

can anyone help? I'm also going to post this on alt. sewing as
well...

betsey

Old January 8th 12, 12:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
Ursula Schrader

"betsey" wrote...
do you use them? worth the cost? any brand preference? i'm starting
to sew more (after a looooooooooong absence) and taking some classes---
and trying to decide if i want one, if i will use it, if it is just
something else to take up space.

can anyone help? I'm also going to post this on alt. sewing as
well...

betsey

Well, you should consider the weight of your machine, the number of journey
you are likely to make with them and the especially the amount of
metres/yards between car and final destination and then go for a wheeled
one. My Bernina, the dear Lady bless the darling machine, weighs about a ton
and came with a padded tote to carry it in. I thought I'd never take it to
class, and I'm going regularly, meaning perhaps 30 days per year, which
doesn't sound much unless you decide that you won't take your
bite-chunks-out-of-the-table cheap-o Husqvarna but the
everybody-envies-you-your-works-like-a-treat, get-a-used-small-(OK, very
small)-car-for-the-price-of-it Bernina.

To make it short - go for wheeled one if you want to take it any further
than the distance cupboard-sewing table.

U. ;-)

Old January 8th 12, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
betsey

On Jan 8, 7:05*am, "Ursula Schrader" wrote:
"betsey" wrote...
[...]

well everyone...i pulled the trigger! i was snooping on the internet
yesterday, and found a quiltshop with an online store...they had a
medium tutto on sale for less than $100-. I called and spoke with the
very nice shop owner-it's brand new, no problems...well, the color.
the color is the problem...it's lime green. my daughter pointed out
"no one will steal it! and you'll always see it!". so i bought it!
it should be here later this week.

still more than i wanted to spend, but in the two months, i've talked
myself out of a new machine (hey Ursula! my viking does not eat the
table! and uhm....if the choice were between the bernina and a triumph
motorcycle...i'd really want the motorcycle, but i can't afford
either!). I like that the tutto also has a place to hold some tools,
and i think i will probably get the matching serger size carry case
(not wheeled...it costs about 45-) to carry projects in.

i will let you all know when it arrives and what i think of it!

and Kay-the hubby readily admitted he would likely decide to steal an
ice chest if i bought one. never mind the three or four in the
garage. sigh.

betsey
Old January 8th 12, 02:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Could you make a removable quilted cover for your tote? Something to
toss in the wash when it gets dirty? (Think of it as an XXL handbag.)
Roberta in D

Old January 8th 12, 09:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

Oh, Donna, that's cool!
Looks like a motorhome w/ pop-outs.
If it were silver, I'd be calling it Airstream. g
ooo..Airstream now has a Mercedes-Benz model: now we're talkin'!
Should be room in there for a Janome. ;-D

Cheers!

R/Sandy - thinking BIG when it comes to sewing machine totes

On 1/7/12 5:16 PM, in article ,
"Donna in Idaho" wrote:

I have a Tutto that I absolutely love - mine's bright red! It has 4
wheels so it swivels and tracks very easily. They come in various
sizes, so check out the website
http://www.tuttocases.com/machineonwheels.html Prior to this case I
had one that only had two wheels and was almost as heavy as my
machine! I use it now (and two more that volunteers gave me 'cause
they hated them too!) to store Project Linus stuff in.

Donna in Idaho

Old January 8th 12, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
Kay Lancaster

On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 06:02:42 -0800 (PST), betsey wrote:

and Kay-the hubby readily admitted he would likely decide to steal an
ice chest if i bought one. never mind the three or four in the
garage. sigh.

That used to happen to my scissors. I started buying Fiskars by the fistful,
until it was easier to find those than mine.
Old January 9th 12, 01:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
betsey

On Jan 8, 5:42*pm, Kay Lancaster wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 06:02:42 -0800 (PST), betsey wrote:

and Kay-the hubby readily admitted he would likely decide to steal an
ice chest if i bought one. *never mind the three or four in the
garage. sigh.

That used to happen to my scissors. *I started buying Fiskars by the fistful,
until it was easier to find those than mine.

yep! we must live in the same household!

Old January 9th 12, 10:18 AM
NimbleSez NimbleSez is offline
Banned

Location: Cork, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsey View Post
do you use them? worth the cost? any brand preference? i'm starting
to sew more (after a looooooooooong absence) and taking some classes---
and trying to decide if i want one, if i will use it, if it is just
something else to take up space.

can anyone help? I'm also going to post this on alt. sewing as
well...

betsey
I bought a sewing machine tote from hemline.com at a very reasonable price, I would recommend one if you are travelling qite a bit with the machine.
Old January 9th 12, 09:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_3_]

Sandy,

The first time Wayne carried my Tutto case with machine and other
supplies in it to the car since there was snow all over the place, he
breathed a big sigh of relief. It was so much lighter than my old
black case.

Now that I have to carry my machine around by myself, I really
appreciate my bright red Tutto. I actually ordered purple, but they
were out so I said I would take whatever they had - so red it was.

Wayne always told me you get what you pay for! The first case I
bought was from JoAnn's. After Wayne looked it over he told me to
take it back, he didin't think it was made well enough to hold up to
all the machine hauling around I do.

I've got pieces for a table topper all over my sewing room, so it's
time to get off this computer and go sew!

Donna in Idaho

Old January 22nd 12, 07:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
Emily Bengston[_2_]

Kay, I was given a 28-qt. Coleman red cooler for Christmas and was my DD,
who lives in FL, and gave it to me, ever surprised when I used it for the
sewing machine. Then she & her DH laughed and said, "If it can be used for
sewing, Mom will find a way to do it."

I don't normally carry sms around, except when I visit one of the children,
who needs my help with a special project, but never my embroidery machine.

Emily

Old sewing machine question .. EMDEKO machine NE Sailboat Sewing 1 January 18th 07 06:39 PM
Is ths a good deal? Grace Quilting Sewing Frame +Janome 1600 Sewing Machine bobbi Quilting 12 December 8th 06 09:18 PM
Walker totes frood Quilting 8 May 21st 05 05:41 AM
punches, punch totes, and supply totes... ElsScraps Rubberstamps 0 November 23rd 03 05:08 PM
punches, punch totes, and supply totes... ElsScraps General Crafting 0 November 23rd 03 05:07 PM