sewing machine totes?

Old January 6th 12, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
Kay Lancaster

Default sewing machine totes?

PS: There are also these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Singer-Sew...g-Case/5064502 from Singer.

Kay

Old January 6th 12, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
Kay Lancaster

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 04:55:35 -0800 (PST), betsey wrote:

thanks Nana, Joanne and Pat--i am going to go "looking". my smaller
machine is a singer featherweight...which is great for just pieceing
classes, but things that require more...i take my viking 350.

FWIW, Betsey, my 350 has been all over the US and parts of Canada either
naked and in a tote bag or in a piece of prequilted something or other that
I cut a couple of slits in to make a handle hole.... drop one slit over the
handle, wrap the bulk around the machine, drop the other slit over the handle.
Add a couple safety pins to hold the ends together around the narrow ends
of the machine. I'd sooner use a tote or handle directly on the machine for
hauling when I'm also dealing with stairs, curbs, escalators -- all things
wheels don't do well with.

My personal favorite container for hauling electronics is an ice chest...
insulation from temperature, a fair amount of structure around the electronics,
and people who would like to steal your expensive gear usually aren't
thinking about stealing your lunch. g Some of the ice chests are now
wheeled, like: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/Colem...ategoryID=8560 And there are gizmos like: http://www.staples.com/Staples-Expan...40122-31272-CC which folds flat for storage.

Kay

Old January 7th 12, 01:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 16:56:53 -0800 (PST), betsey
wrote:

do you use them? worth the cost? any brand preference? i'm starting
to sew more (after a looooooooooong absence) and taking some classes---
and trying to decide if i want one, if i will use it, if it is just
something else to take up space.

can anyone help? I'm also going to post this on alt. sewing as
well...

betsey

Hi Besty,

Yes, I use one. I've got arthritis in my shoulders and neck and if I
carry a machine - even a featherweight - I 'pay for it' for days

I just got one of these and I love, love, love it:

http://www.amazon.com/Onmi-Glide-Sew.../dp/B003A0GNQC

-Irene
Old January 7th 12, 05:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
Mary

My personal favorite container for hauling electronics is an ice chest...
insulation from temperature, a fair amount of structure around the electronics,
and people who would like to steal your expensive gear usually aren't
thinking about stealing your lunch. g *Some of the ice chests are now
wheeled, like:http://www.coleman.com/coleman/Colem...goryID=...*And there are gizmos like:http://www.staples.com/Staples-Expan...s/prod...which folds flat for storage.

Kay

I LOVE the idea of the ice chest! Not only protection, but a
disguise!!! And it reminds me of my younger sister toting her very
fancy camera and lenses around Kansas City. She bought a diaper bag,
put the camera and lenses in, and topped it with a spare baby blanket
and added some new Pampers, a container of baby wipes and a spare
baby outfit, and then added the best -- a crumpled up diaper that was
rolled up and taped shut as though it was a fresh full one that nobody
would ever want to touch. Unlike a few of her friends who used proper
camera bags, nobody ever touched her diaper bag, asked about her
camera, or stole anything.
Old January 7th 12, 09:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 06/01/2012 00:56, betsey wrote:
do you use them? worth the cost? any brand preference? i'm starting
to sew more (after a looooooooooong absence) and taking some classes---
and trying to decide if i want one, if i will use it, if it is just
something else to take up space.

can anyone help? I'm also going to post this on alt. sewing as
well...

betsey

If you are taking a larger or heavier older sewing machine to classes,
and have a ways to go from car to classroom, or regularly take it on the
train/aircraft, then yes. Personally, for that I'd go for the wheeled
sort. People like Janome and Brnina have own brand ones that fit their
machines. Expensive, but worth it for a big expensive machine.

Usually when I'm sewing away from home I don't need to move the machine
far from car to resting place, and I have the GMNT and his dad handy for
carrying, so I just use the machine's standard case. I also usually use
a smaller machine when away from home, such as the Elna Lotus machines
or the Frister & Rossman Cu 4's. I do have a generic carrying case for
my sergers, but only the one as I don't usually need to take two away
with me.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old January 7th 12, 02:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
betsey

thank you everyone for your thoughts and opinions! i think i need to
spend some time investigating. and yes, i've decided that i DO need a
machine hauler g. while my viking 350 is close to 15 years old, and
was not a multi thousand dollar machine...it IS my machine, and I
would have a tough time replacing it financially.

i've decided on wheels...yes, wheels are a good thing g. while in
theory i love the idea of the cooler (thank you Kay!), i have a
feeling it would be taken over by the hubby and/or kids in short order
g. and i like the cart thingy from staples kay...i don't know about
using it for the machine..but boy, would that come in handy at horse
shows!

i will be checking them all out. one last question for y'all...do you
know of any that are NON CHINA made? made is US would be wonderful,
but as long its not made in China, i'm willing to spend a bit more g

betsey

Old January 7th 12, 05:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
Polly Esther[_5_]

Now THAT's so smart I can hardly stand it. Polly

"Mary" I LOVE the idea of the ice chest! Not only protection, but a
Old January 7th 12, 05:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
Hanne in DK

While I lived in London, UK, my laptop sleeve was a battered old padded
envelope...

Hanne in DK

Old January 7th 12, 11:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_3_]

I have a Tutto that I absolutely love - mine's bright red! It has 4
wheels so it swivels and tracks very easily. They come in various
sizes, so check out the website
http://www.tuttocases.com/machineonwheels.html Prior to this case I
had one that only had two wheels and was almost as heavy as my
machine! I use it now (and two more that volunteers gave me 'cause
they hated them too!) to store Project Linus stuff in.

Donna in Idaho

Old sewing machine question .. EMDEKO machine NE Sailboat Sewing 1 January 18th 07 06:39 PM
Is ths a good deal? Grace Quilting Sewing Frame +Janome 1600 Sewing Machine bobbi Quilting 12 December 8th 06 09:18 PM
Walker totes frood Quilting 8 May 21st 05 05:41 AM
punches, punch totes, and supply totes... ElsScraps Rubberstamps 0 November 23rd 03 05:08 PM
punches, punch totes, and supply totes... ElsScraps General Crafting 0 November 23rd 03 05:07 PM