Quilty Gifts?

Old December 27th 11, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Default Quilty Gifts?

Carry cot tiny quilt?
..
In message , Sally Swindells
writes
The poor child is destined to be smothered in them!

Now where shall I begin......

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old December 28th 11, 02:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

I received a very nice quilty gift, a silver quilt square for my charm
bracelet. My son and daughter-in-law were so proud that they found the
appropriate charm. Usually someone gives me a quilt themed calendar
but I'll have to purchase my own for 2012. My husband gave me a
photograph of the lovely necklace I bought myself last summer while on
vacation. At the time I told him it was my anniversary and Christmas
gift. It is a REALLY nice necklace so I don't mind the photograph
being wrapped-up. Actually thought it was cleaver of him to go to the
trouble of the photograph rather than just reminding me of the
necklace. I couldn't wear it on Christmas as the turquoise didn't go
with my red shirt.

Susan

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 22:36:51 +0000, Lizzy Taylor
wrote:

I hope everyone had a good Christmas (or holiday of your choice) and had
the pleasure of giving and receiving gifts. Were any of yours quilty?

I gave several seasonal table runners (made back in January) and
received a roll of soft'n'bright batting and a new "daylight" work lamp,
both of which are much appreciated.

Now all I need to do is not eat for a couple of days so that I can fit
in front of the sewing machine again :-)

Lizzy

Old December 28th 11, 02:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

DH gifted me with a number of quilty/sew-ey things this year. The EQ
Dear Jane quilt design software---yes, I really want to make one of
these quilts. It's going to take a couple of years! He also got the
two special Dear Jane rulers as well. Also, he got me a 116 spool
package of Metro embroidery thread! All in all I'm going to be busy
for a while and having way too much fun.

On the giving side, I made several pillowcases, aprons, and bags
including a walker bag for a friend who fractured her hip.

-Irene

Old December 28th 11, 09:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

Digital camera must be good for quilting;
iPad w/ quilty sites & games...
yeah, I received quilty for Christmas.

Several years ago, one of my favorite after-Christmas commercials
was from Sears (good ol' Sears; about to disappear);
the ad sang,
"Almost everything you wanted... but didn't get for Christmas,
is on sale now at Sears!"
I take that to mean quilt shops, too. ;-)

Happy New Year!

Ragmop/Sandy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eC0qhhi0vY
1977?!!!? how can that be? 1977!?!

Old December 29th 11, 06:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

AWwwww, Sally. What a blessed gift, a grandchild of your own. It a little
startles me to know of babies born to mamas over 40 but now I think the age
is 60-something. The step-siblings will enjoy this baby so much too. Our
baby sister came when we were 16 and 18 and is a delightful, special joy.
Our great-grandson arrives in April and I've just made him a soft, gentle
silk batiste nightshirt. Every newborn should have one. Polly

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
My quilty gift was a cd of DDiL's tummy and impending Grandchild due in
June! - excuse for making baby quilts, wall hangings, eye-spies, big bed
quilts, etc. etc.

A great surprise as she is over 40 and already had three children (now
aged 14 to 20), when she met DS almost 10 years ago, so we had resigned
ourselves to no grandchildren of 'ours'. Very proud parents-to-be and
step-siblings too as it is a very much longed for addition to their
family. So great excitment here.

DH is clueless about scans so thought the pictures were out of focus
mistakes with the video camera left running, until we were congratulated
on becoming grandparents near the end of the film, and it clicked! Am
looking forward to watching it again when all our Christmas visitors have
left, and it is quiet.

What better quilty present?

Old December 29th 11, 10:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

Yes, the older children are thrilled.

I have just ordered the fabric for a pretty lap quilt for the
Mother-to-be. I thought it would be useful for the times when she just
has to have a nap, and also for extra warmth during the night-time
feeds. I will make the baby a bright quilt suitable for either boy or
girl as they don't want to know which it will be. A more personalised
one will follow when I know who I am making for.

I have a little creamy Beatrix Potter fabric which I may combine with
soft colours for a first cradle or pram/buggy quilt. I will see how I
go. The farmyard wall hanging I did for a competition earlier this year
is ear-marked to go too - it has been sitting in a box while I wondered
what to do with it! I did say baby will be smothered in quilts!
Fortunately the other Granny doesn't sew!

My UFOs suddenly seem to have taken a back seat!

Old December 30th 11, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Long ago I gave up on my family understanding what I really want for
gifts. Try not to be too hurt when I open the few presents with my
name. No one notices that I have half the number of gifts to open as
anyone else in the room. This year I was very specific about wanting a
Kindle but no one listened. They did buy me charms for the charm
bracelet I never wear. Guess I will try to get used to wearing it.
Yesterday I bought myself four antique quilts. Don't feel guilty at
all. Soon I will purchase my own Kindle. Maybe next year they will
give me gift certificates for books. Hate the thought of starting an
Amazon wish list. Wish my family would listen and take the hint rather
than slapping them in the face with my wish list.

Susan

Old December 30th 11, 07:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

We do all ask each other what we want and it always seems to be tokens
or contributions towards something, but we always add little stocking
filler gifts too so there is something in wrapping paper to open.
(DSonIL liked his little gifts so much that when we emptied the waste
bin in the guest room after he left this morning, we found the envelope
with his Christmas money towards the item he is saving for!) I just ask
for Amazon vouchers and there is a sigh of relief that at least one
present will be easy to organise. This year DDiL wanted the same for
Kindle books.

I had been deliberating as to whether I wanted a Kindle. DH had
obviously heard enough as I got one from him. After 3 days he was
persuaded to give it back to me and has requested one of his own for his
birthday.

Old December 30th 11, 09:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Quilty Gifts, long

Now, now, Susan. I'm happy to see you posting but the tired is coming
through. We are holding you and your precious mother close. However, don't
you remember the tale I told about the Christmas DH bought me a lovely
chrome tool box (velvet-lined, no less) that exactly fit his new truck?
I caught on to the game away back when his sister flaunted the
beautifully cut, perfectly fitting coat that her husband had given her for
Christmas. It was a soft dark green that made her eyes just sparkle. I
longed for a gift like that. Not the coat; she was 5'10". I longed for a
gift from DH that was thoughtfully 'just for me'. I only just happened to
overhear her brag to her sister that she'd put it on lay-away back in
August.
Gift receiving problems are nothing new. Haven't you ever wondered what
use Baby Jesus had for frankincense and myrrh?
Get your self a Kindle. Get the size you want; there's more than one.
Get the options you want - some of them will probably blow your hair dry and
play Chopin. And be SO happy that you don't have to pretend to be grateful
to be gifted one that only reads in Portuguese. Polly

Old December 30th 11, 10:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Susan,
I was looking at an ad on the computer yesterday and told dh that the item
would
make a really great Valentine gift. This system is working really well for
me. DD
is really thrilled anymore when I just say "I want X". She buys for the
gift not the
cost. She is getting really good at it. If you throw out enough options it
makes it
even easier for the family. Now if you explain this is what you are doing
they
might work with you. If you start mid summer you might even still be
surprised when you get the gift months later. Now if you give this a try
and they
are not trainable than you just need to start buying gifts for your self and
wrap them
up. I hate the wish list idea but hints work. There isn't much I want
off amazon
that I don't just buy myself but books are always wonderful.
Go buy the kindle. Don't look back.
Hugs, Taria

"Lizzy Taylor" wrote:

I hope everyone had a good Christmas (or holiday of your choice) and had
the pleasure of giving and receiving gifts. Were any of yours quilty?

I gave several seasonal table runners (made back in January) and
received a roll of soft'n'bright batting and a new "daylight" work lamp,
both of which are much appreciated.

Now all I need to do is not eat for a couple of days so that I can fit
in front of the sewing machine again :-)

Lizzy

My quilty Christmas gifts Julia in MN Quilting 33 January 6th 08 05:05 PM
Up to something quilty Debra Quilting 3 January 16th 07 01:01 AM
What quilty maryd Quilting 47 December 11th 04 07:57 PM
Quilty gifts and other events Susan Laity Price Quilting 2 January 1st 04 12:56 PM
I did something quilty! Dianne & Greg Quilting 11 August 5th 03 10:34 PM