'Serious' soldering iron - recommendations please ?

Old December 17th 08, 01:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Adrian

Default 'Serious' soldering iron - recommendations please ?

HI Folks

My usual weapon of choice is a temperature-controlled Weller 100W iron -
which works very well for tiffany-style suncatchers, tealights and so on.

Recently, I've been getting more commissions for copper-foil-based
window / door panels - with correspondingly longer seams to be soldered.

The Weller iron doesn't seem to be quite 'meaty' enough for these larger
panels - I'm not after 'turbo-soldering' performance g - but it'd be
nice to know that there was sufficient heat there to be able to run a
seam without having to pause for the iron to catch up.

So - what's your favourite iron for those slightly bigger jobs ?
I've no plans to diversify into leaded windows - but I guess it'd be
good if the 'serious' iron was capable of doing that as well, if need be.

One recommendation was for the Esico 150w iron and a Glastar controller
- but I'm open to any other suggestions.

I'm in Ireland - but I do have 110v 'plumbed in' to the Studio

Thanks in advance
Adrian
www.inspired-glass.com

Old December 17th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Adrian

Chemo the Clown wrote:
On Dec 17, 4:13 am, Adrian wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that - you use it with a controller, I guess ?

Adrian
Old December 17th 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Chemo the Clown

On Dec 17, 10:38*am, Adrian wrote:
Chemo the Clown wrote:
On Dec 17, 4:13 am, Adrian wrote:
[...]

Adrian- Hide quoted text -

With copper foil work I run it full on. Don't let it sit around and
just idle. Not using it...turn it off.
Old December 18th 08, 09:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Adrian

Hi

Chemo the Clown wrote:
On Dec 17, 4:13 am, Adrian wrote:
[...]

Sounds sensible. I'd got the impression (from reading the online shops)
that you have to run a controller with these high-powered, non
temp-controlled irons - but maybe they just want to sell me a controller
as well as an iron !

As well as the Esico - there was another recommendation for a Hakko 60W
'Super Pro' iron. Apparently this iron uses a more efficient ceramic
element - hence the lower wattage - but, since I'm using a 100W Weller
at the moment and need 'more power'.. I'm sceptical...

Thanks for the comments

Adrian

Old February 5th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Kris Krieger

Adrian wrote in news:6qsv9tFean3oU1
@mid.individual.net:

Just a thought - copper foil requires much more solder than lead came, so
Kris the Health Noodge just wants to remind you: "Safety First" - be sure you
have very good ventilation and/or some sort of fume trap, so that the lead
vapor is pulled *away* from you.

Old February 6th 09, 06:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Feb 5, 8:54*am, Kris Krieger wrote:
Adrian wrote in news:6qsv9tFean3oU1
@mid.individual.net:

Just a thought - copper foil requires much more solder than lead came, so
Kris the Health Noodge just wants to remind you: "Safety First" - be sure you
have very good ventilation and/or some sort of fume trap, so that the lead
vapor is pulled *away* from you.

Solder doesn't vaporize till around 2000 degrees. The "vapor" you are
talking about is the flux fumes. Still, good advice overall. Good
ventilation is a must.
Old February 6th 09, 06:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Adrian

HI

wrote:
On Feb 5, 8:54 am, Kris Krieger wrote:
Adrian wrote in news:6qsv9tFean3oU1
@mid.individual.net:

Just a thought - copper foil requires much more solder than lead came, so
Kris the Health Noodge just wants to remind you: "Safety First" - be sure you
have very good ventilation and/or some sort of fume trap, so that the lead
vapor is pulled *away* from you.

Solder doesn't vaporize till around 2000 degrees. The "vapor" you are
talking about is the flux fumes. Still, good advice overall. Good
ventilation is a must.

Ah yes - but when you're turbo-soldering with a plasma torch... g

Better ventilation is on the list for this year...

I tried fitting a couple of computer fans through the studio wall - but
it wasn't 100% successful, and was fairly noisy.

As a (surprisingly effective) temporary measure I've been using one of
the portable 'fume extract/filter' fans that are sold for electronics
work - which allows you to put the extraction very close to the work -
which seems good.

Plan 'C' is a couple of 'toilet' extract fans on timers mounted
_outside_ the studio and sucking through flexible ducting...
They will come on when the soldering iron is lifted off it's stand,
and then run on for a minute or so after the iron's replaced -
thus keeping the noise level down (I hope)

Complicated life, isn't it ?? g

Adrian
Old February 6th 09, 06:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Feb 6, 9:17*am, Adrian wrote:
HI

wrote:
[...]

Ah ha...I forgot about the turbo-torch. :-)
Old February 6th 09, 06:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Adrian

HI

wrote:
On Feb 6, 9:17 am, Adrian wrote:
HI

wrote:
[...]

But on the up-side - you do end up with a great suntan g

Adrian

Mini iron or soldering iron? NightMist Quilting 4 April 10th 06 09:16 AM
bronze soldering iron tip desiglass Glass 2 April 8th 06 02:12 AM
Soldering iron tip Craig Glass 2 February 19th 04 07:32 PM
soldering gun/iron recommendations? Jennifer Moore Beads 17 December 6th 03 02:43 AM
Soldering Iron Woes Moonraker Glass 9 July 25th 03 02:49 PM