Four inch squares?

Old May 22nd 04, 03:44 PM
MoragP

Default Four inch squares?

I was just browsing on eBay for quilt fabrics. They have lots of listings for
4" squares and I wondered if any of you use them.

My quilt projects always seem to take pieces bigger than 4" so my imagination
is stumped. Do you recut into triangles? Piece them as they are?

Just what do YOU do with 4" squares?

Morag Anne in soggy Detroit
Old May 22nd 04, 03:53 PM
*KoffeeKupz*

gee that is almost all I used is a 4" square. I prefer to do scrappy
quilting though so to me mostly I just use squares. Some of them are done
into triangles and the whole top then is ready to go out of triangles and if
I add a square or two I just simply cut down that 4" to the size that I need
to match the halfs. *does that make any sense?*
I have other stash for making borders and bindings so for me, it is a great
size to work with.

I have most of my scraps cut into 2" 3" and 4" squares the odd 6" and then
what I can't get into a square of those sizes I have strips of 1.5" for my
scrappy log cabin blocks that are always in progress.

~KK~ who has purchased many of those 4" squares off EBay already

--
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
'The road to success

Old May 22nd 04, 04:07 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"MoragP" wrote in message
I was just browsing on eBay for quilt fabrics. They have lots of listings

for
4" squares and I wondered if any of you use them.

My quilt projects always seem to take pieces bigger than 4" so my

imagination
is stumped. Do you recut into triangles? Piece them as they are?

Just what do YOU do with 4" squares?

I recently got a great book of ideas for those swap squares called "Nickel
Quilts" by Pat Speth. (NAYY, but I spent an evening with the author, and
she's delightful.) True, her designs are based on 5" squares, but in the
front of the book she gives directions on how to make the adjustments for
other sizes of squares. It's amazing how many things she did with those
squares.

I also saw an intriguing ad for a book called "Power Cutting Too" by Debbie
Caffrey. I haven't seen the book in the flesh, but the ad gave me some
great ideas. Both Debbie and Pat show sewing the squares together in half
square triangles (you know, sew both lines *before* you cut apart), and then
cutting the resulting large HST into both plain squares and HST's. Debbie
then mixed up the squares, and reassembled into scrappy HST's. I'm not
explaining it well, but if you find the book, it's probably the picture on
the cover, and you'll see immediately what I mean.
--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old May 22nd 04, 04:40 PM
Dr. Quilter

aren't you concerned about quality? I am never totally satisfied with
charms....

*KoffeeKupz* wrote:

gee that is almost all I used is a 4" square. I prefer to do scrappy
quilting though so to me mostly I just use squares. Some of them are done
into triangles and the whole top then is ready to go out of triangles and if
I add a square or two I just simply cut down that 4" to the size that I need
to match the halfs. *does that make any sense?*
I have other stash for making borders and bindings so for me, it is a great
size to work with.

I have most of my scraps cut into 2" 3" and 4" squares the odd 6" and then
what I can't get into a square of those sizes I have strips of 1.5" for my
scrappy log cabin blocks that are always in progress.

~KK~ who has purchased many of those 4" squares off EBay already

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
(take the dog out before replying)
Old May 22nd 04, 04:42 PM
Julia Altshuler

Mostly I keep them for when I need just a little of exactly the right
fabric. It could be for a spot of bright or the cornerstones of a border.

I like them for quick quilts. Arrange them by color and put an
alternate white square between them so you get a checkerboard of white
and color with the color squares going from purple to blue to green to
yellow to orange to red. That's an ever popular design.

--Lia

Old May 22nd 04, 05:18 PM
~KK~ in B.C.

Quality?
I must have lucked out so far I guess because I have made a few different
quilts over the years, not serious stuff like I would like to start up here
soon, but so far the only thing I have had to fix on any of my scrappy
quilts is either the binding that has worn out or to retie a few of the ties
when they become loose or come out in the wash.

I use a good quality thread and a good 1/4" seam allowance and haven't had
anything I have made to date have a problem. So I guess as far as quality of
the piece, no, I guess I never worried about it or thought about it.

I have some that my grandmother made eons ago that are holding up just fine
and most of her quilts were made simply with a 3" square and tied. They have
been through anything and everything from babies to camping and they always
come out just beautiful from the dryer

~KK~ who most likely won't be persuaded that there would be any problems
with smaller bits and squares since she has some proof that they will last a
lifetime or more

--
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
'The road to success

Old May 22nd 04, 09:46 PM
Heather

I've been purchasing charms of all sizes on ebay for about 5 years now, and
a few times I've gotten some crappy squares mixed in with the good ones, but
when I consider the amount of money I'm saving by buying them pre-cut off of
ebay, it's worth it to me. I made a quilt of 1000 pyramids a few years
ago..I wanted 1000 different fabrics, or as close to it as I could. There
is no way I could ever collect 1000 fabrics from the fabric store. I rarely
make anything but scrap quilts, so ebay is my best friend for charms. Of
course, myhusband has tried to ban me from ebay, but it never works..lol.

Old May 22nd 04, 11:43 PM
~KK~ in B.C.

I agree with you there on the cost of the many many many different fabrics
you get when you EBay the charm squares. And my hubby is unaware where my
squares come from.......so far. LOL All he says is, oh I dont think I saw
those before...

--
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
'The road to success

Old May 23rd 04, 12:40 AM
Polly Esther

I got burned on ebay quilt fabric. The pieces were supposed to be cotton
quilt fabric - well, it wasn't exactly. They are Teflon coated and might be
great for quilted placemats but that isn't on my schedule at all. Polly

Old May 23rd 04, 07:57 AM
Dr. Quilter

No, no, the problem is not the size, but that you might get a mixed
batch. I am old fashioned in this sense I guess, I am always distrustful
unless I can touch the fabric! Evendors would go broke with me... only
in dire need I order online! )

~KK~ in B.C. wrote:

[...]

{\rtf1\mac\ansicpg10000\cocoartf102
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset77 ComicSansMS;\f1\fswiss\fcharset77 Helvetica;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\margl1440\margr1440\vieww9000\viewh9000\viewkind0
\pard\tx560\tx1120\tx1680\tx2240\tx2800\tx3360\tx3 920\tx4480\tx5040\tx5600\tx6160\tx6720\ql\qnatural

\pard\tx560\tx1120\tx1680\tx2240\tx2800\tx3360\tx3 920\tx4480\tx5040\tx5600\tx6160\tx6720\ql\qnatural

\f1 \cf0 Dr. Quilter\
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens\
http://community.webshots.com/user/mvignali\
(take the dog out before replying)
\f0 \
\pard\tx560\tx1120\tx1680\tx2240\tx2800\tx3360\tx3 920\tx4480\tx5040\tx5600\tx6160\tx6720\ql\qnatural
\cf0 \
}