Heat and Bond lite

Old March 9th 04, 02:46 PM
KJ

Default Heat and Bond lite

After being a WonderUnder user for many years, I switched to Heat and Bond
lite for fusible appliqué projects. At first I ignored the instructions
(after all, I KNEW how to fuse!) and I wasn't happy with the results. So I
have tried fusing with their directions and am still not very happy, Here's
what happens.... I get the image of the bumps on the front side of the
appliqué piece, especially on lighter fabrics. So I thought maybe I was
still fusing too long, or too hot....but when reduced both, I didn't get a
good fuse. Have any of you been consistently successful with this fusible?
It might be a little more flexible than WonderUnder, but I'm not seeing much
difference.
Any ideas?

--
Kathyl yup, that's an L

Old March 9th 04, 03:37 PM
Kris

Kathy,
I love using "Steam-A-Seam II" for my fusing. It's user friendly.
It's tacky on both sides and you get to play around with where you want to
place things on your quilt. ( and you can pick them off and re-place them)
When you are happy with your design, then you place the hot iron of them
for about 15 seconds and they are sealed in place permanently.

Kris ( in northern virginia)

Old March 9th 04, 03:58 PM
Karlee in Kansas

I've been very successful with it for quite some time now...email me off
list and I'll see if I can help you

hugs
Karlee in Kansas
Queen of Packrats

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a
Ride!"

Old March 9th 04, 04:12 PM
Kris

Kathy,
They now have Steam_A-Aeam Lite..

Kris

"KJ" wrote in message
I have a roll of that too. Maybe I'll switch back. It's been a while

since
I used SAS II, so I can't remember exactly why I tried to make the switch.
Seems like it was still a bit stiff for what I wanted. But that might be
better than an ugly appliqué! I tried "Transweb" in a class one year.

What
a disaster! That stuff won't stay on the paper long enough to trace the
design, let alone cut it out! It's nice and soft, but harder than heck to
work with.

--
Kathyl yup, that's an L

Old March 9th 04, 04:18 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"KJ" wrote in message
After being a WonderUnder user for many years, I switched to Heat and Bond
lite for fusible appliqué projects.

Out of curiosity, why did you switch?

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old March 10th 04, 12:28 AM
~Spidey

I use Heat and Bond but the red one, I think it's heavy duty, no
residual, no bumps, it's easier to pull off and I machine appliqué
around my stuff and it`s great, I don`t even need to use stabilizer
with that one.

Just a thought.

Linda m.

Old March 10th 04, 12:30 AM
Eli

I, too, always used WonderUnder and cut out the centers for larger
appliques. They were out of it at my JoAnn's, so I got Heat and Bond Lite
as per the clerk's recommendations. I don't like it much either. She raved
at how much I would love it, but I don't. I'll try the Steam a Seam Lite
next time. I'd like to try some water soluable stablizer, but I haven't
heard anything good about them.

How about on the back as a stabilizer? Do you use stitch and tear? Or
another brand?

Gina in IL

Old March 10th 04, 03:12 AM
judy in fort worth

I just used a water soluable stabilizer on the back of a quilt that was all
ready 3/4 quilted. I used Badge Master Aqua Film and it worked great. I
washed the entire quilt when it was finished and the stabilizer did wash
away just fine. I liked it.

judy in fort worth
remove 4 to reply directly

Old March 10th 04, 04:14 AM
Maureen Wozniak

I've never had good results with Heat n Bond. I've finally decided that
I like Steam A Seam best of the fusibles that are available to me. There
is also Steam A Seam Lite which is good for appliqué.

Maureen

Old March 10th 04, 06:00 AM
KJ

Someone asked why I switched from Wonder Under to try the Heat and Bond. I
guess I was influenced by the craft and quilt shows who tout it as a good
fusible. I also have used the Steam a Seam 2 and had pretty good luck with
it. It seemed a little on the stiff side. I have a big roll of it in a box
to use up so I won't be switching to the Steam a Seam lite yet. I had a
whole bolt of Wonder Under I bought years ago when I had a wholesale number
and had a small business. The bolt has gone "bad" and the paper won't
release from the web any more. That's why I tried some new products. I'm
glad to hear someone else didn't have good luck with the Heat and Bond...I
thought it was just me!