Question on wire-wrapping small cabachons

Old December 2nd 03, 03:17 AM
Jim Caldwell

Default Question on wire-wrapping small cabachons

I have wire-wrapped cabachons of about 24x18 mm size (w/ 21 ga wire), they
are not hard. However, I have some nice 18x13 mm cabachons, and am trying
to figure out a way to wire-wrap them. The two outer wires (of the eight
that make up the bundle) become the "prongs" that are on top of the two ends
of the cab, and they are way too long for such a small stone. Also, if you
try to slip them back up through the two cross-waps to shorten them the
needed amount, you end up scratching them up. Have used up a mile of brass
trying to do it. I could maybe put "zig-zag" bends in them until they fit
snug on the cab...but that is a lot of zig-zagging"...and you would have to
do the same with the two wires that form the bottom support for the cab,
also.
I know it would be very difficult to describe how without pictures, but
mainly I just want to know if it CAN be done. A lot of women don't like to
wear such large cab rings as 24x18.

Old December 3rd 03, 03:57 AM
EL

Small cabs are pretty easy to wrap without prongs -- you just twist the top
wire up and over the edges of the stone. There are some pictures of cabs
done like this (not mine, in fact not anyone I know, just the first thing I
found when I googled) at
http://www.mandarava.com/Retail/Wire_wrap_jewelry.htm.

Elise
--
This is a post-only address.
Send replies to e_lewis AT bellsouth DOT net

Old December 4th 03, 06:10 AM
Paul

You may want to post your question he

http://forums.delphiforums.com/wirejewelry

Lots of wire artists there.

Paul Tarlow
Izm Studio

------------------
Kiln-formed glass
for jewelry artists
http://www.izm.com
------------------

(please contact me through the web site -- the email account used for
this post is not monitored)
Old December 21st 03, 09:13 AM
Tommy Crockett

why don't you just set them in fabricated work?

--

Tommy and Rosemary Crockett
Silver Springs, Nv 89429 USA

[...]

OT - Question about wire wrapping.... Harry Beads 24 March 18th 04 08:10 PM
Wire question Regina Beads 2 November 23rd 03 08:53 PM
Question about hammering wire. Marissa Undercofler Beads 2 September 16th 03 08:05 AM
Wire Wrapping instead of jumprings...funny tools April H. Beads 13 September 12th 03 06:14 PM
Help! Wire gauge question Steve & Susan Wright Beads 0 September 10th 03 01:58 PM