question about a ring....

Old July 1st 03, 06:42 AM
Greg Chu

Default question about a ring....

I have a question about a ring I have seen before.
It is "A ring" made by three rings together. The
three rings have different colors. I would like to
know who makes it? and if it is still available?
Your answer is greatly appreciated.

Old July 2nd 03, 01:43 AM
NE333RO

I have a question about a ring I have seen before.
It is "A ring" made by three rings together. The
three rings have different colors. I would like to
know who makes it? and if it is still available?
Your answer is greatly appreciated.

It sounds like a puzzle ring. They are still made but I can't tell you by
who specifically. I'd try a search for puzzle rings.
Old July 3rd 03, 02:13 AM
Dale Porter

"Peter W. Rowe" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 05:42:11 GMT, in rec.crafts.jewelry Greg Chu
wrote:

I have a question about a ring I have seen before.
It is "A ring" made by three rings together. The
three rings have different colors. I would like to
know who makes it? and if it is still available?
Your answer is greatly appreciated.

If this is three seperate wedding bands linked through each other to wear

as
one, then it's called a "rolling ring".

Most commonly known as a "russian wedder" here in Australia.

The design is copyrighted by Cartier,
who've been making them since, well, just about forever. Since before

world war
2, I think. Theirs are usually 18K rose, yellow, and white golds, and

they are
still made and shown in their catalog.

I doubt anyone here (as in this part of the world) cares about any such
copyright. They're made by just about every Tom, Dick and Harry jeweller.

Dale Porter

Old July 3rd 03, 02:13 AM
Greg Chu

Thank you guys for the answers! I found the ring I was
looking for by the information from Peter. Thanks again!!

Old July 3rd 03, 09:32 AM
ted.frater

In the UK there likewise known as russian wedding rings.
Also there made here by most students as part of their jewellery
courses.
As to copyright, certainly the name Cartier is copyrighted as a
registetred trade name and rightly so but as to the design, well,
Cartier are just trying it on as we say over here. That generic design
has been around as a 3 coloured interlocking ring since metals have
been around in 3 colours.
Old July 8th 03, 10:32 AM
*SES*

*If this is three seperate wedding bands
*linked through each other to wear
*as one, then it's called a "rolling ring".
*The design is copyrighted by
Cartier, who've been making them since,
*well, just about forever. Since before world
*war 2, I think. Theirs are usually 18K rose,
*yellow, and white golds, and they are
*still made and shown in their catalog.

Seems like everyone labels it as a "multicolor 3 band roll ring" but it's
name is really a "Trinity" ring.
Diana Scarisbrick has it in her "Rings" book on page 197. She mentions that
it was in a Steichen photograph for Vogue in 1925.

From an old "W" article in my files I found:

"Jean Cocteau, for whom Jacques Cartier created the rolling ring in 1924 as
a symbol of their friendship"

SES

--
http://www.metalcyberspace.com
Listen to the Universe and Dance to the Rhythm of it-*SES*

Ring ring! Charlie Beads 18 September 3rd 04 04:12 AM
Wire Ring w/ faceted stone Beadbimbo Beads 30 July 19th 04 03:27 PM
A question for lampworkers Diana Curtis Beads 42 May 7th 04 07:26 PM
Not really an AD, but a marketing question, need advice Kandice Seeber Beads 26 April 4th 04 10:39 AM
de-lurking with a color question Jennifer Moore Beads 8 August 16th 03 09:42 PM