Help with old english knitting directions

Old April 15th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default A long history of knitting in public, was Help with old english knitting directions

In article ,
(Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

Elsje this is lovely to hear, and as you say ,, over the years i also
had many people who were facinated by my knitting or crocheting,
enough to say they wanted to try it themselves ,,,,
The neateset ever reaction , was the soldier who fell asleep and woke
saw me knitting, smiled and said :"it makes me feel at home , next to
my mother "
But from time to time there are other reactions. My pondering now is
whether to do it in a hall full of people listening to some serious
lectures. I really don`t want to attract any attention, nore cause
anyone to be distracted. Still i am so late in my work schedule....
Maybe i will Just Knit the 4 hours on the train ?
mirjam

I would just try it somewhere sitting at the last chair in a row, and not
under a big light. and even maybe where there is an empty chair next to
me. Being Els van Dam, I certainly would knit, if it was not bothering
anyone. You have nothing to lose by trying, don't forget to smile while
you are knitting and also to listen carefully to the lecture. LOL

Els
Old April 15th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article .com, "JCT"
wrote:

I have a stash of needles that includes my mother's needles. In all of
this there is one longish steel double point. I don't know if it was
originally hers or whether she got it from someone. (for time
reference - mother was born in 1902) I actually use it quite often as
I find it useful when I am doing cables - I know that sounds silly but
I am used to using it and it works for me. It is longer than my
regular double points but not extremely long - probably around 10
inches or so. I don't remember seeing mother use it and I don't know
if she ever had a set of dps that length.

The only wooden or bamboo needles I have are those I have acquired or
made - mostly within the last 15 to 20 years. There are some older
casein (sp?) needles etc in the older stuff. I don't think mother
saved much in the way of prewar needles - she did have some nice older
thimbles in her sewing stuff though. (Those got distributed to various
female family members when her stuff was sorted when she moved to the
nursing facility.) DH doesn't remember about his mother - too bad as
she was more of a knitter than mine was. (Mine was too busy playing
sports - golfed well into her 80's)

Most likely that kept her young, good for her I say

Els
Old April 15th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I think that it is the essence of human culture to teach and share
knowledge. An important part of teaching is inspiring curiosity. Knitting
and crocheting in public inspires such curiosity. It is a good thing.

I can not see any problem with cable needles or short little sock needles -
anywhere or anytime. Some needles might click, and those would be fine at a
rock concert but maybe not at a chamber music recital. At a lecture, I do
not see that knitting is any more distracting or bothersome to others than
taking notes with paper and pen. I do not see that cable needles are any
more dangerous than a pen and notebook on a bus, train, or plane. Moreover,
however dirty some yarn may be, I do believe that most yarn is relatively
sanitary in comparison to the fixtures (door handles, bar rails) in a
public hall that has been recently touched by many hands and everything that
floats in the air around an assembly of people.

Aaron

Old April 16th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I don't understand where this idea has come from that it's not acceptable to
knit in public. I used to knit on the train on the way to and from
University when I went home for the weekend, that was back in the early
1980s, and nobody ever complained. I also knitted on the train journey to
work in the early 1990s.

I do voluntary work as a fundraiser for a cat charity, which can involve
long boring hours on a fundraising stall with few customers, so I usually
take my knitting with me, it can be a good talking point with neighbouring
stallholders and it's a useful way of passing the time.

Jeanette

Old April 16th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article , "Jeanette"
wrote:

I don't understand where this idea has come from that it's not acceptable to
knit in public. I used to knit on the train on the way to and from
University when I went home for the weekend, that was back in the early
1980s, and nobody ever complained. I also knitted on the train journey to
work in the early 1990s.

I do voluntary work as a fundraiser for a cat charity, which can involve
long boring hours on a fundraising stall with few customers, so I usually
take my knitting with me, it can be a good talking point with neighbouring
stallholders and it's a useful way of passing the time.

Jeanette

Jeanette, I am with you. There may be to odd person who, is rude about
it, but that person is most likely rude about many things. We are not
going to take that person as the norm.

Keep on clicking away guys.

Els
Old April 17th 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Jeanette,,, as you write It USED to be quite Common to knit every
where . It sort of Dwindled away, When i studied in university , many
female students knited in lectures, and only the odd professor would
coment against it . Than when it sort of evaporated , only the Few
knitted , but les and less in public . The less common it became the
more people raised their eyebrows, and at times opened their mouths,
with some unkind remark. I have had some strange remarks , from rude
ones to wondering [ 'people STILL knit?], to nice adoring ones.
I don`t know where you live , my experiences are mostly from Israel ,
Some from Europe [ trains] , and Some from Boston USA .... Even when
we lived in Manchester UK ages ago , it wasn`t common to knit
everywhere.
mirjam