LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

Old June 18th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Leashing the kids (was LQS Complaints--Other shoe; samefoot.)

Megwen Woodham wrote:

We always told my nieces and nephew that the were being attached to an adult
so that that adult wouldn't get lost......................it worked a treat,
they didn't want Grandma/Aunty Megwen to get lost!

James once told someone We have to keep mummy on a lead so she doesn't
buy too much fabric!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old June 19th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

Yep it is an amazing thing isn't it - I tried the screaming/crying thing too
when DD1 had a hissy-fit. Worked a treat - she never realised that mummy
could do it too. I just would have loved to have done the lying down
kicking screaming thing in the supermarket. What would all the elderly
ladies and gents have said then?! Tsk...Tsk....

quicker)

"desert quilter" wrote in message
oups.com...
A friend of mine had a unique way of dealing with her toddler's temper
tantrums: when the child lay down on the floor and started screaming
and thrashing about, my friend lay down on the floor next to her and
screamed and thrashed right along with her. (This occurred at
home--not out in public.) I guess the look of wonderment in the
toddler's eyes was something to behold. ;-) And she never did it
again either.

Michelle in NV

Jessamy wrote:
part of parenting include *ignoring* unwanted behaviour - and that

includes
a temper tantrum in a super market
I just tell my 2 year old child that if he wants to cry ok but I am

going on
without him - as he only does this to try to get his way there is little
point in him continuing when I am not there. He only did this twice as I
refuse to give in to a screaming child and give him what ever he is
screaming for (usually sweets).

good behaviour is complimented and the kids then get to play on the
supermarket kids computer while I pay at the checkout

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Curiosity about what I am doing is fine, and I usually respond
positively. But that's different than grabbing my shopping selections or
what I am reaching for.

It's hard to say where the line is between what I will give a dirty look
for or actually dare to interfere (which is much further along).

Parenting is a very hard job to do. I do try to compliment good parents
and good kids.

-georg

Old June 19th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Now cell/mobile phones LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

This is too funny. I clicked on the link. It was taking a while to load, so
I sort of wasn't paying attention to it. All of a sudden, Chelsea said,
"Owww! What is that high pitched noise!?" I said, "What? Oh, wait. You can
hear something?" I couldn't. LOL

--
LN in NH (Who has been beading more than quilting in the last 2 years)
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

"Sandy Ellison" wrote in message
Howdy!

My Avon lady (good friend) told me about this, Monday,
a ring tone that we "older" folks aren't supposed to be able to hear.
http://tinyurl.com/juf9l

I can hear it. Some dept. stores still have electronic equipment
running that I can hear buzzing/whining above my head. Ooooerrrrgh!

Meanwhile, I appreciate having my mobile phone available,
for *my* use. Not in a check-out line, not in a meeting, not at
the table in a restaurant, not while I'm driving.
I mean, if I drove and phoned, how could I, with a clear conscience,
yell at other drivers? : "Hang up and drive! It's an automobile,
not a phone booth on wheels!" G

It was a joy to have that phone with me in Paducah last year;
called dear husband back at work in Dallas, exclaiming over the
charm & beauty of that old downtown area. He shared my excitement
and looks forward to going to Paducah with me later this year.

Ragmop/Sandy --my Avon lady & I are thinking of inventing a "detector"
that will sniff out those whining cell phone tones g

On 6/14/06 2:22 PM, in article
, "desert quilter"
wrote:

Seems about half the complaints center around cell phones. And then
people wonder why various school districts have banned cell phones in
schools. Adults can't even control themselves with the pesky things.
How well do you think a teenager is going to do?

Michelle in NV

Old June 19th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

LN (remove NOSPAM) wrote:

This is too funny. I clicked on the link. It was taking a while to load, so
I sort of wasn't paying attention to it. All of a sudden, Chelsea said,
"Owww! What is that high pitched noise!?" I said, "What? Oh, wait. You can
hear something?" I couldn't. LOL

I can't hear it either. My husband, however, can, as can all the boys.
For a while I thought they were all pulling my leg, until I saved it
to disk and played it once when DH wasn't expecting it and he flinched
hard and begged me to stop it. Har.

--

blackrosequilts
My train of thought left the station without me.

2005 BOMs: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blackrosequilts/my_photos

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old June 19th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Cats" wrote in message

I sometimes have sewers come here with grandchildren in tow.
Once in a while this is unavoidable (family drama, etc) but
I politely discourage this as a regular thing because this
is not an area set up for children and I cannot be
responsible for their safety around sharp and pointy things.
The OH&S/liability issues for adults are bad enough.
Everything in life should not be geared around the possible
effects of an uncontrolled toddler/child.

Sorry if this makes me a grouch but I don't feel that shops
should have to provide a child entertainment area in order
to stay in business, and I don't enjoy having to fight the
HUGE strollers in use today in narrow aisles when I am
shopping. I have enough mobility issues of my own.

I am so excited. I am going to a city for their big quilt show this weekend
and I found out they don't allow children under 6 and NO STROLLERS!!
Apparently the craft shows they hold in this facility has the same rules.
Whoo Hooo!

Cindy

Old June 19th 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

If the quilt shop is small, and they were busy, I wouldn't even bring DH in.
Nothing worse than trying to get to something and having a person just
standing aimlessly in the way.

Cindy

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
nk.net...
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska wrote:

*Bringing unruly children into the store and letting them roam, crawl,
yell, etc.

If I may interject... is it so bad to bring
unruly children into a store? I mean, does
the fact that children roam, crawl, and yell
make them unruly? I do not mean to be
facetious (or maybe I am just being defensive),
but we often go to our LQS as a whole family.
DH sits on the floor and tries to keep the two
kids under control. But, kids crawl and roam.
Sometimes they yell. We do not permit them to
touch the fabric, walls, displays, anything.

If we could not bring children in, then I'm
relegated to only ordering fabric online. Or
DH has to stay outside with the kids, and that's
not always the best place to be.

Obviously, there ought to be some standard for
basic politeness, such as regarding cell phones,
making outrageous return demands, etc. However,
isn't there any room so that children, while
being children, would still be allowed to go
into a little store without raising eyebrows?

-- Anita --

Old June 19th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Sandy Ellison" wrote in message
Howdy!

I like kids.
On toast. g

Do they scream? Do they yell and interrupt other people?
Do other people wince when the kids yell? Do the kids
race thru' the store, getting under foot, pulling things
from the shelves, pull books off the racks, try to eat the notions?

If the kids are under the supervision ("control" as much as possible g)
of their full-grown minder, why not take them into the shop?
Most quilt shops, sewing supply stores, tho', don't have much to entertain
kids (a few do), so I wouldn't take mine in where they weren't catered to.
I was pretty strict about where mine went when they were young,
NOT to craft shows (after the first such trip proved the boy wouldn't
stay in the stroller g), not to quilt shops when *I* wanted to
pay attention to shopping. And when we had just one car, or had
decided to combine shopping trips, I'd have my partner drop me off
so I could shop and look while he had the boys; then we'd switch.
I just didn't want my kids to bug other people; didn't want friends to say
"Oh, look, here's comes Sandy--- OH NO!! she brought her kids!!" G
Of course, now I'm likely to take your kids in hand, sit down to play
with them, offer them my solar calculator, some Silly Putty,
maybe a walk around outside. 'Cause they're not my kids & I can give
them back. g

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy

I love you, Sandy!

Cindy

Old June 19th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'll be 56 in less than 2 weeks and I can hear it. DH is going on 62
and he can hear it too. But, he says that neither of us is truly an
adult..............

BG

Pati, in Phx

Dee in Oz wrote:

I'm 46 in 3 months ( no can't be me, must be me Dsis at 43 so can't be
her) and I couldn't hear it. Turned the keyboard sound right up and got
a crackle, turned the monitor sound right up and got a couple of more
crackles and DD (16) and DS (12) complaining about the noise

Dee in Oz

claudia wrote:

I can hear it too and it's definitely annoying!!!
Guess I don't fall into the "older" or "adult" category yet (wonder
when; I'm going on 42!!!)

CLaudia

Sandy Ellison wrote:

[...]

s.com, "desert quilter"

Old June 19th 06, 05:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

We got spanked as kids. Sometimes with a belt. It was not unusual for
that time.
We knew better than to act up. Consequences were definitely not fun.

As for teachers........ that is part of the reason the average burnout
time for new teachers is (or was a few years ago....) 5 years. I lasted
about 6 and half, but only worked half time. It can be absolutely
brutal as a teacher in the American public school system.
Yes I can do "teacher voice" and it carries......... G

Kids in stores....... the store where I was asst. mgr had stairs,
offices and such were upstairs. Here in Arizona stairs are not the usual
thing in homes and kids think they are great fun to play on. We also
had terrazzo floors, which are very hard. Parents would let the kids
play on the stairs, jump off and run around the store. I would
frequently say something to the child and/or to the parent. Even asked a
mother with a screaming child to leave one time. The child was
obviously tired and such, mother was not shopping to buy, just to be in
the store for some reason. And other customers, who were buying, were
complaining.

So you can call me an old grouch too. Children are children, but they
can and should be well behaved and close to the parents, not running
free. I also complement kids/parents when appropriate.

Pati, in Phx

off kilter quilter wrote:

Taria wrote:

My mom had a comment. "that kid needs popped". Last time I
'popped' my son he was 6'2" and I had to reach up to do it.
Certainly no pain involved but the surprise value was effective.

We got spanked once in a rare while as kids but mostly just were
taught what proper behavior was.

I told a kid to quit kicking a box at Lowe's a couple of months
ago. (he was wailing on the thing) I thouht the dad was going to
slug ME. I just shook my head being grateful I don't have kids
in school anymore. How on earth do they get people to go into
teaching?
Taria

I have a theory....the ones that go into teaching either a) REALLY love
seeing the light of comprehension in that one special child, b) are
gluttons for punishment, or c) can't afford any other method of birth
control

but that's just me...at one time I was actually an elementary ed
major....changed really fast to psychology...lol..wound up with a degree
in sociology

Old June 19th 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I know of one child who liked to have her "leash" on. she felt safer.
If I had had children I would have gotten or made one. With some
children it is definitely the only way to deal with the "independence vs
responsibility" issue.

Pati, in Phx

Sandy Foster wrote:

In article et,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

You can. Mothers only have two hands and that is not enough to keep a
little one (or more) safe when shopping. We had a leash - it looked very
much like suspenders with a serious leash thing fixed to the back waist.
That way, I could be somewhat sure that he wouldn't dart into the path of an
oncoming car or stray from my side. That was more than 50 years ago but I
don't remember a single soul being anything but wanting to know where a
similar harness could be purchased. If anyone had accused me of cruel or
inhuman treatment, we would have bonked them with a spoon. Polly

Polly, I had the same leash for my two almost 30 years ago. Things had
changed enough by then, though, that people gave me dirty looks and told
me I was treating my DDs as though they were dogs. Hmmph! Better a
*safe* and leashed DD than one who could dart away and knock over a
display of glass vases, doing harm to herself as well as breaking the
vases! I wish more parents used those leashes to keep their children
safe. :S

big foot + little foot Wren Quilting 11 March 5th 06 06:06 PM
Big foot Debra Quilting 6 July 30th 05 01:32 AM
Boot Shoe Pattern Cutting & Clicking 1906 FA Sally General Crafting 0 September 12th 04 12:23 AM
A walk(ing foot) in the park KittyG Quilting 18 October 21st 03 06:35 PM