Metallic Thread Question

Old July 28th 03, 07:27 PM
Kate Dicey

Default Metallic Thread Question

Jessica Jones wrote:

Hi all,

I just bought some metallic thread for my next quilt (only 3rd one, and I'm
not even finished with my 2nd) and I realized I don't know what to do with
it! :-) Metallic thread is for quilting, not piecing, right? And can you
use it for machine quilting or hand quilting? If machine, only in the top
or can it be used in top and bobbin? And is it safe to use for a toddler
quilt or is it dangerous like the clear/rayon thread?

Thanks!
Jessica

Definitely quilting rather than piecing, and be on the look out for
hassles! Use a metallic embrpoidery needle, as they shred the thread
less. Also try that magic thread conditioning liquid, and prevent it
leaping off the spool by netteing it with a thread net. I uses some to
quite nice effect on my Accidental Quilt. I use it quite a bit with
kids, despite the frustrations of thread breakage, because the results
are so nice. Sew s l o w l y with it too - it also helps to reduce
breakage.

I wouldn't try hand quilting with it - it's bad enough handling it for
machine quilting!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old July 28th 03, 09:51 PM
Mel Rimmer

In article , Kate Dicey
writes
metallic thread

I wouldn't try hand quilting with it - it's bad enough handling it for
machine quilting!

I've just finished hand quilting something very very small ( a book
cover) with metallic thread, and it was indeed very tricky. Thread kept
fraying and snapping. In fact the whole project has been a greater test
of my patience than a king-size bed quilt.
--
Mel Rimmer
Old July 29th 03, 12:10 AM
Julia in MN

I wouldn't use it in the needle and the bobbin at the same time.
However, some metallics (and some other decorative threads) don't work
very well in the needle, but will work in the bobbin. In that case, you
can quilt with the backing of your quilt up, so that the bobbin thread
shows on the quilt top when you are done. Sometimes you have a backing
fabric with a pattern that you want to use as a guide for your
stitching, and stitching with the backing up works well in that case.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/