Question about Attic Windows

Old January 12th 04, 01:17 AM

Default Question about Attic Windows

I've been quilting for about a year and want to do my 1st king size quilt.
It's a little ambitious for me, but I love the attic windows block. I've
seen different methods for doing this block, but they look a little
complicated to me. Is there an easy way to piece these? Thnx for your
help.

Barbara C.

Old January 12th 04, 01:41 AM
Louise

The easiest way I've seen (which avoids a Y seam) is to cut two
rectangles -- one of your dark fabric and one of your light fabric -- the
same length as your block (if it's 12-1/2 inches unfinished, then your
rectangles would be 12-1/2 inches in length) and whatever width you want.
For the corner, make a square from half-square triangles -- again, one
triangle would be from your dark fabric and one would be from your light
fabric.

Sew the dark rectangle to the side of your quilt block. Sew the square and
the other rectangle together, matching the light triangle in the square to
the light rectangle. Then sew the new piece to the bottom of the quilt
block, matching the dark triangle in the square to the dark rectangle.

As I look at this, it makes total sense to me, but it may be even more
confusing. This Web site may make it a little clearer:
http://www.quiltaholics.com/bom/attwin.htm

Good luck!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old January 12th 04, 02:08 AM
Martha in IN

Thanks Louise for posting this. I just knew there was a web site to explain,
but didn't know where it was.
Martha
news3mMb.28396$8H.66451@attbi_s03...

Old January 12th 04, 02:15 AM
Polly Esther

And a suggestion. Make some trial blocks. The attic windows pattern calls to
me and is high on my list of "to-do's", but every trial block I've made
never seemed to be just what I wanted. You can vary the size of the main
square and the frames and the contrasts and placement; just on and on. Play
with it until you have one you just love. If you're going to make a
king-size, for sure you want one that makes you happy. Polly

Old January 12th 04, 04:04 AM
Sharon Harper

Ta Louise!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

Old January 12th 04, 09:07 AM
Patti

Taking this one step further: once you have folded the piece, finger
press the fold; then open it out again, carefully, and *sew* along the
fold (keeping it in place). Trim off the excess and you have it!

I love attic window, too, for all the different illusions you can create
with it, simply by colour choice and placement of pieces.
..
In article , Muggywort
writes
snipped

BTW, I read somewhere another way to do them...after stitching the
attic pieces to the side and bottom, fold one attic piece at a 45
degree angle over the other and then do a ladder stitch to avoid
setting in the angle. That's what I usually do, but it does make for
extra hand work.

Muggy

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 12th 04, 05:01 PM
Kathy in CA

That's the way I do--don't much lite to do mitering
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

Old January 12th 04, 06:15 PM
Pati Cook

I just think of it as the same as mitering a border. Sew the strips on to
the 2 adjoining sides, making sure there is extra length at least equal to
the width of the strip at the corner. Fold the block on the diagonal,
lining up the seams. Mark the sewing line as a continuation of the fold,
which should be at a 45 degree angle to the seams. Using a ruler and rotary
cutter trim a seam allowance away from the drawn sewing line. (I use a
larger than normal seam allowance here, just in case something shifts, on
borders I use a 1 inch and on attic windows 1/2" or so.)
Pin while still laying on the mat, pick up and sew on the line. Works
wonderfully well and is pretty quick once you get used to doing it.
I also sew from the edge to the corner and stop just a stitch away from the
corner to help keep that pucker from happening. You don't really have a
"hole" because the next stitch is already made.

Pati, in Phx

.

Old January 12th 04, 11:51 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I've printed them all and the web
sites. The king size quilt will be for my son and dil for next Christmas.

I want to put a square in the middle of the each attic window that relates
to them, e.g., playing soccer, baseball, picnics, the beach, etc. I've
designed it in my head, now I just have to get my hands to do it.

Barbara C.

"Lizzy Taylor" wrote in message
I've been quilting for about a year and want to do my 1st king size

quilt.
It's a little ambitious for me, but I love the attic windows block.

I've
seen different methods for doing this block, but they look a little
complicated to me. Is there an easy way to piece these? Thnx for your
help.

I did a quilt for my Mum with them in 2002 (pics on my website, URL in
sig) and had never even attempted them. Thanks to MeSue (how much I
miss her and her challenges) I tried them and thanks to this site:

http://www.geocities.com/quiltfrenzy/attic-window.html

they came out very successfully. The instructions are clear and have
lots of photos to show each stage in detail.

There are also good instructions for mitred borders on the same site.

HTH

Lizzy

--
Lizzy Taylor
Heywood, Lancashire, UK 53:36:00N 2:06:00E