About Us

Old October 15th 03, 01:15 AM
Kathy Applebaum

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
news
Mmmmm.. I love brownies... even with points. You used to make charts for
insurance companys.. showing the potential of certain events to occur..
Do I win?
Diana

Oh, close, but no cigar. (Actuaries don't only work for insurance companies.
I was the other kind...)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old October 15th 03, 01:23 AM
AliceW

Ask me how I knew that!

--
Alice in NJ
www.ourcyberfamily.us

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message

"AliceW" wrote in message
You figure out what pension plans and insurance policies will be worth

so
they can be used in divorce settlement discussions.

Fifteen brownie points!

Actually, most of our work was pension valuation (if your employer says

they
will give you 75% of your pay when you retire, I had to figure out how

much
money to put in this year to fund the accrued liability, then the actuary
signed off on it.) But since I was the best in math in the department (aka
the biggest geek), I also got to do all the QDRO's. What fun -- knowing

your
work is going to be scrutinized by two attorneys who don't understand
arithmetic, let alone higher math.

Old October 15th 03, 01:25 AM
AliceW

Give Diana my brownie (points). They are not on my eating plan - yet!
Enjoy, Diana. You were the first to answer - a pretty darn good answer too,
so you deserve the reward.

I actually had a pretty good idea from the divorce proceedings my DH had to
go through in a former life.

--
Alice in NJ
www.ourcyberfamily.us
"In prosperity our friends know us; in adversity we know our friends."
John Churton Collins

.. .

Old October 15th 03, 01:34 AM
Kellie J. Berger

Name: Kellie Berger

Home: Houston, TX

Occupation: Mom (including but not limited to: PTO VP, hearing loss, allergy
and nutrition student (or should be), personal driver, financial and day
planner for the family, dog trainer, tiger cub den mom.... um.... what
else?) and Choir member, quilter, web developer in my 'spare' time

Age: 34

Past Lives: Art teacher, bouncer, barmaid, caterer, cashier, babysitter

Family: DH, DD- 8yrs, DS - 6yrs, DD - 2 yrs

Food: DARK Chocolate, fruit, pasta, salads, tacos, pizza, cheesecake,
cheese, chocolate, pasta,

QI's: Razzle (12yo Golden mix) and Tessa (10 mo old black lab)

Machine(s): Janome 4800, 1941 White, 1943 White, Green something or other
and Grandma's Singer on its way...)

Quilting For: About 10 years off and on

Quilt Assembly Preference: machine pieced, then either machine or hand
quilted

Quilt Style Preference: for me to work on, usually traditional. Paper
piecing and curves still scare me. Starting to like applique... to look at?
anything and everything! especially with movement and optical illusions or
secondary patterns

Colour Preference: rich colors and light yellows NO yellow greens
please.... today my favs are blue and purple... somedays it is red-orange
and red-violet

Skill level: advanced beginner to intermediate, depending on project method

Posting/Reading frequency: Read almost daily, post roughly weekly.

Interests other than quilting/fabric fondling/S.E.X.: Reading, music,
walking, being with family, gardening, web developing, photography, drawing
and painting, sculpting (not for a long time though)

Pet Peeves: yes

TV Shows: not really

Drive A: 2000 Chevy Venture Extended

Favorite Quote: can't pick one today, but these are near the top.....

"Faith makes things possible.... Not easy!"

"Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape."

"It is better to wear out than to rust out"

"The tongue weighs practically nothing, but so few people can hold it."

Old October 15th 03, 01:34 AM
Kathy Applebaum

"AliceW" wrote in message
Ask me how I knew that!

I was all set to follow directions here, and you gave away the answer. See,
that's why I make it a rule not to follow directions! LOL

Old October 15th 03, 01:35 AM
hfw

Name: Heidi Waldmann

Home: Elkins Park, PA, just outside of Philly, for the past 4 years. Before
that 25 years in St.Paul/Mpls.

Occupation: Rabbinical student and hospital/nursing home/hospice chaplain

Age: 53

Past Lives: Graphic designer in MN. Moved here for school.

Family: Married 30 years tomorrow (10/15/03) to the sweetest man in the
world. DS and DD grown and gone. DGD, 4. Wonderful MIL/FIL in Nebraska.

Food: Chocolate, brie

QIs: Awesome Aidan the Amazing Carnivore, our 4yo scottie

Machine: Viking Lily 555. FW inherited from my mom, but so far unused by me
since I was a child.

Quilting: Just starting, after not sewing anything at all for over 25 years.

Quilt Assembly: rotary cut/machine piece, paper piece

Style Preference: Contemporary, not fussy

Color Preference: jewel tones, tend toward low value contrast

Skill Level: rank novice!

Post/read frequency: usually daily or more

Interests: reading, going out to dinner

TV: West Wing, Law & Order

Drive: 1985 Saab, 2003 Camry

Favorite quote: We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our
exploring Will be to arrive where we began, And know the place for the first
time. (t.s. eliot)

And, "Happiness is less about having what you want than wanting what
you have." and its variations.

Old October 15th 03, 01:44 AM
Diana Curtis

http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Renee Clark" While googling trying to learn more about our Mesue (wish I
had a chance to
get to know her), I came across a thread from 2000 in which RCTQ'ers
introduced themselves in detail. I've come on board since then (September

of
'02), and I'm sure many others have too. Might be worth doing again for

the
sake of those who are a bit newer. I'll go first, in the hope that some of
you will follow suit.
Blessings
Renee
Name: Diana Curtis

Home: Is where my heart is.. Wisconsin

Occupation: Artist/SAHM

Age: 46
Past Lives:I think I was an Egyptian Princess in my past life.. or maybe a

short order cook.

Family: I currently have a DS, DA(lmost)DIL, DD, DH, DGS, and two DBs near

by.

Food: I live by the four food groups, fat, chocolate, sugar and

caffiene..

QI's: Two platys... fish.. no names... yet..

Machine(s): Moms Bernina. She made clothing with Bernie.. I make quilts

and just about anything but clothing. :-)
Quilting For: Since 1974 or so. Someday I hope to get it right.

Quilt Assembly Preference: Each method has its place... and Im ok at them

all. I love the way handquilting looks and totally enjoy doing it, but MQing
sure is saving time and making finishing things thinkable..

Quilt Style Preference: I love all types of quilts.. traditional, modern

art types, applique...PP... it all depends on its excecution.
Colour Preference: I love purples.. but no color is a bad one.. ok..

seafoam green and pepto bismal pink maybe.....

Skill level: 'advanced beginner'. thats almost right...

Posting/Reading frequency: Read daily, post enough that most people would

be sick of me if my posts were chocolate.

Interests other than quilting/fabric fondling/S.E.X.: Reading Sci fantasy.

Garage sales.. bargain hunting.. gardening.. chatting... home decor.. and of
course my little family.

Pet Peeves: I dont think I should start... lol

..

TV Shows: The Bear in the Big Blue House...
Drive A: Few people crazy on the NG.

Favorite Quote:/"poem

After A While

After a while you learn the subtle difference

between holding a hand and chaining a soul

and you learn that love doesn't mean leaning

and company doesn't always mean security.

And you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts

and presents aren't promises and you begin to accept your defeats

with your head up and your eyes ahead with the grace of an adult

not the grief of a child and you learn to build all your roads

on today because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans

and futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.

After a while you learn

that even sunshine burns if you get too much so you

plant your own garden and decorate your own soul

instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.

And you learn that you really can endure that you

really are strong and you really do have worth

and you learn

and you learn

and with every goodbye you learn.

--Shoffstall, Veronica

Old October 15th 03, 01:54 AM
Bonnie

Name: Bonnie Espenshade

Home: Greenwich Twp., NJ

Occupation: homemaker and nanny

Age: 60 next month

Past Lives: grade school librarian, folk artist, seamstress, and
a sales clerk while DD was in college

Family: DH, DS and DD - 2 GDDs

Food: yes

QI's: my koi: Dot, Munch, Chomp, Bandit, Sparkle, Junior,
Casper,
Lemon. Numerous young, and goldfish, shubunkins, and orfes.

Machine(s): Elna Air Electronic 1976, Babylock Imagine, and soon
a 1939 Featherweight

Quilting For: finished my first quilt in 1968

Quilt Assembly Preference: machine pieced, either hand or
machine
quilted.

Quilt Style Preference: Whatever catches my eye

Colour Preference: love blue and yellow.

Skill level: Beginner

Posting/Reading frequency: read daily/post occasionally

Interests other than quilting/fabric fondling/S.E.X.:
Reading mysteries,
polymer clay and beading

Pet Peeves: I don't want to think about that.

TV Shows: Boston Public, Law & Order, NYPD Blue, HGTV and
BBC America

Drive A: 2003 Honda Element

Favorite Quote: I will age ungracefully until I become an
old woman in
a small garden, doing whatever the hell I want!
Robin Chotzinoff

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old October 15th 03, 02:03 AM
David & Barbara Schmidt

Name: Barbara "Babs" Schmidt

Home: Dallas, Texas, USA

Occupation: Currently Un-employed

Age: 36

Past Lives:lost my job as an Assistant Director at a Child Care Center a few weeks ago. Looking for an office job.

Family: Married to David. Just celebrated our 4th anniversary.

My Mom lives here in Dallas and my 2 younger brothers, Brent and Brian
are currently living at home with her.
My sister, Bonnie, and her husband David and my beautiful niece Helen
live in Sandy, UT.

Food: Almost anything Mexican. Spaghetti and meatballs, Almost anything chocolate. Chex Mix.

QI's: none at the moment

Machine(s): a basic Janome

Quilting For: About 2 years. My ex-boss got me addicted

Quilt Assembly Preference: rotary cut, trying to learn piecing

Quilt Style Preference: Easy! I Like making frayed edge stuff too.

Colour Preference:brights, novelties, currently working on a lot of Christmas stuff.

Skill level: Beginner

Posting/Reading frequency: read several times a day. post occasionally, but wish I could do more.

Interests other than quilting/fabric fondling/S.E.X.: I've played the piano since I was 6,

and I sing in both a choir and a folk music group at church. My husband
and I love to travel the
western US. Also love most kinds of music, even Opera.

Pet Peeves: people who drvive too slow in the fast lane. People who don't buckle up their children. (From my former job-

people who drug their children up and send them to school when they know
good and well they should be at home in bed.

TV Shows: the Law & Order's (especiall on Sunday- I love that guy), Whose Line is it anyway, 8 simple Rules (RIP John Ritter)

Drive A: 1997 Mitsubishi Gallant

Favorite Quote: It will be a great day when the schools have all the money they need and the army will have to hold a bake sale to buy a bomber.

Old October 15th 03, 02:05 AM

My turn:
Name: Nancycog in MD (formerly PA)
Location: MD farm country near upper Chesapeake Bay (heaven on earth)
Occupation: former private secretary for a bank, later DH's secretary in
our concrete business
Age: 65 (older than dirt, but glad to have Medicare) really enjoy
retirement
Past life: married young 1957, worked at secretarial jobs forever
Family: DH (a keeper and my best friend for 46 years, three DD all
married, four grandkids-all teenagers, only one sister left
Food: anything chocolate (of course!), seafood, veggies, pumpkin pie, no
licorice
QI's: None now, did have a Scottie, Bonnie, a mixed-breed Scooter, (she
could read my mind) and a German Shepherd, Buddy, two cats, Rosie and
Bean
Machine: Bernina 1230, love it, bought after having two Singers
Quilting for: about thirty years, after sewing clothing, curtains,
slipcovers, etc. for most of my life.
Quilting preference: Machine piece, getting better at MQ, trying to get
uniform hand quilting stitches.
Color preference: blue/greens, really all brights, sky dyes
Skill level: Advanced beginner
Posting frequency: A few times a week, read every day, feels like family
Other interests: Reading fiction-our Jennifer, Sue Grafton, Dick
Francis, traveling, especially to shows, collect miniature Scotty dogs,
water skiing, knitting, crocheting, embroidery
Pet peeves: flame wars, trolls, rudeness
TV: Simply Quilts, Carol Duval Show, Everybody Loves Raymond, Frasier,
CSI, British comedies
Drive: Ford Crown Victoria
Favorite quote: May the light always find you on a dreary day, When you
need to be home, may you find your way. May you always have courage to
take a chance, And never find frogs in your underpants. 8^)