Feece as Backing Question (longish)

Old September 2nd 03, 05:17 PM

Hi, Julie, I have used fleece on only one quilt, and found that it
stretches easily. I would highly recommend using a walking foot if you
intend to SITD, as I did. I also quilted first, then bound the edge as
usual. It turned out nice and cozy, but don't think I will use it again,
unless it is a tied quilt. Come to think of it, it was made before I
found spray basting. That may make it easier to control. Nancycog in MD

Old September 2nd 03, 06:11 PM
Marcia Smith

Related on topic question...

To those of you who use fleece as a quilt backing...do you still use
batting?

Marcia
Apex, NC

Old September 2nd 03, 08:44 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Not really necessary. I think it would make it pretty hot.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

. com...

Old September 2nd 03, 10:29 PM

I agree with LN. A polarfleece backing is very warm and thick, so a batt
is not necessary IMHO. Nancycog in MD

Old September 2nd 03, 11:29 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

I know what you mean! I remember one I birthed that was poofy! I took it
apart and bound it.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
m...

I have yet to have a customer bring one in where the back ends up the same
size as the front. If the back and front aren't the same, it's difficult

quilt it without getting pleats somewhere. Since most of my business is

word
of mouth, I don't want quilts floating around that look like I caused a
problem that really wasn't my fault.

I usually spend about 15 minutes with those people explaining how to use

the
walking foot on their machine and suggesting some simple quilting
strategies. I'm much happier, and they leave knowing they can get that

quilt
finished. *grin*

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old September 3rd 03, 04:00 AM
Polly Esther

Nancy, I like the thought of using spray basting but I had trouble with my
needle gumming. Do you suppose I used too heavy a hand at spraying? Backing
my Linus quilts with fleece could enable me to make more quilts in less time
for less $s - but I'm still not sure it's for me. Polly

Old September 3rd 03, 08:26 AM
D&D

I have been following this thraed with great interest as I have just
finished my first quilt top ( My variation of Chinese coins). As it isn't
quite square I have decided to back it with (polar) fleece and try and do
some simple quilting in the unpieced sections and bind the edges with the
main colour. I will be trying to do the quilting without a walking foot as I
don't have $55 rrp to buy one at the moment. If I am not successful without
a walking foot the it will be a UFO while I keep working on top #2
Thank you to everyone for your input

Dee in Oz

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
m...

Hey Kathy, curious why you won't work on birthed quilts?

Old September 3rd 03, 06:46 PM

Polly, I have never had trouble with gummy needles when using spray
basting, so I guess you may have "too heavy a hand at spraying". I have
had my best results with basting spray. Nancycog in MD

Old September 3rd 03, 10:26 PM
Shelly

I love the basting spray that I just finished using. Don't remember the name
of it but I got it at Wal-Mart. The fabric/batting didn't shuffle around and
I didn't have a problem with anything gumming up either. *It did get on my
kitchen table and take forever to scrub/wear off though.* I took it outside
this last time I used it on a big quilt. Got dh to put up 2 saw horses and 2
full sheets of plywood and I put the quilt out together outside. It will be
really nice being able to do this in the fall and spring! I love working
outside! No problem at all with the lighting! hehe
Shelly
wrote in message
Polly, I have never had trouble with gummy needles when using spray
basting, so I guess you may have "too heavy a hand at spraying". I have
had my best results with basting spray. Nancycog in MD

---