Best professional soldering iron??

Old April 27th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default Best professional soldering iron??

wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's the catalog of tools and supplies we sell. Look hard and see if
you can find a controller or any such useless devices being offered for
sale.
http://www.victorianartglass.biz/

Why would I believe what your on-line catalog says when photos of your own
work tables show controllers with irons plugged into them? Izzat more of
your "do as I say, not as I do" bull****?

Old April 27th 06, 07:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

In the UK, as far as I can recall, they have these really weird 3 prong
plugs...

but i believe the current is the same...

i'd have to double check that...
in Turkey, as in the REST of Europe (except UK), we use round two-prong
or three-prong plugs. UK's plugs are totally different. But it seems to
me,
that when I was there on holiday years ago, all I needed was an adaptor
plug
to fit their sockets for my European-produced hairdryer.

If your iron will work in France or Italy or Greece, then it will work
in Turkey.

And PLEASE, yes, contact Hexacon and find out. As soon as it's
confirmed,
I can start ordering stuff.

Thank you very much.

Old April 27th 06, 07:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

what and iron is, nothing more than a resistance tool, might be just
change
the plug, but that would be something to look into there.

Oh, God.
Double the voltage, fixed resistance, 4 times the wattage, burn your hand
and the iron in one fel swoop.
I would expect that voltage halving transformers are cheaper and more
available over there than here in the states where fewer people buy them.
For resistance loads that don't need a neat wave form, 1000 watt electronic
units are smaller, lighter and less expensive. But you should be able to
find 240 volt soldering irons in Europe or western Asia.
--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website
"Javahut" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm willing to consider anything at this point. My big problem is
shipping to western Turkey!! and of course the right
current...220-240...

Can you recommend a company that has European-correct electrical
equipment?

thanks,

Check this web page for someone nearby,
http://www.hakko.com/english/company/overseas.html Hungary was the
closest,
but check in an electronics store near you, they sell to that market
primarily. We use the Hakko 456, but I saw no voltage change, and given

Old April 27th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

mike...you lost me... i don't understand why you say i need a 'voltage
halving transformer' when it seems to me that i need a voltage doubling
device..US current is 110 ours is 220+...i'm not great at things
'technical' so please explain what you mean.

the only irons i've seen here (and i'm in a very rural part of the
country) are 60 watt irons...and they don't do diddley...

and yes, i SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND 240 volt irons here...but where????
someone on this list must know something about supplies in Europe,
yes??

i'm rarin' to go and can't find the starting gate!!! grrrr

ar.

Old April 27th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
oups.com...
mike...you lost me... i don't understand why you say i need a 'voltage
halving transformer' when it seems to me that i need a voltage doubling
device..US current is 110 ours is 220+...i'm not great at things
'technical' so please explain what you mean.

the only irons i've seen here (and i'm in a very rural part of the
country) are 60 watt irons...and they don't do diddley...

and yes, i SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND 240 volt irons here...but where????
someone on this list must know something about supplies in Europe,
yes??

i'm rarin' to go and can't find the starting gate!!! grrrr

ar.

It is the temperature of the iron's tip, not the wattage (directly) that has
anything to do with being able to solder properly. More accurately, it is
"Thermal Mass" of the iron tip at the desired temperature. The bigger the
tip, the more mass of heat, so it cools less when the tip is applied to the
lead/copper and solid solder is introduced to the joint. A small tip cannot
retain as much heat as a larger one. The wattage has to do with the
"acceptable" amount of time it takes to heat the iron tip to the required
temp. (usually 700F). 30 watts will heat an iron tip just as hot as 100
watts will, it just takes longer to get to temperature and won't recover as
fast when in use. The theory is to have a consistent iron tip temperature
so the solder melts and then cools in a predictable way.

Of course, tip size is limited by how heavy (weight wise) of an iron you
want to use and to a lesser extent on the delicacy of the project. I
basically use one iron...a 100 watt with a 1/2" tip. The iron has an
internal thermostat, and stays at 700F, maximum. Since solder melts at
~550*F, there's plenty of tip mass there to solder a LONG time before the
tip drops 150* in temperature.

If the 60w irons available to you have a big thick tip available, you may
have to go that way.

Old April 27th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

you've definitely given me food for thought here.
last time i worked with glass (16 years ago) things seemed
so much simplier...of course, we didn't have as much choice
and there weren't as many people in the field...things certainly have
come a long way.

thanks..

all in all, i think i do want to go back to the hexacon but this time
i'm going to try the hatchet handle...my hands and wrists are also
16 years older!! i may also try an ergonomic oilcutter...if the
technology
is out there, why not use it, right?

thanks for your input.

a.

Old April 28th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone suggest the BEST soldering iron on the market today?

I used to have one that came from France, I believe...and used it with
a rheostat.

I think that there are professional models available today with a built
in temp controller...
but how good are they?

It also has to be 220/240 current since I'm no longer living in the US.

Any ideas?

I like a really hot. lightweight, and cheap iron. sue me! Inland makes
good irons.

--

JK Sinrod
www.sinrodstudios.com

Old April 28th 06, 07:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

If you want to buy a 110 volt soldering iron and run it in a country that
has 220 volt power, then you need a transformer that takes in 220 and puts
out 110 to supply the soldering iron.
The heavy transformers sold to supply nicely shaped wave forms are
typically reversable, 1:2 units - they will double or halve the voltage.
Hardware stores most often sell them for running tools.
The lightweight electronic conversion units are typically one way - they
have a 220 plug and a 110 outlet or a 110 plug and a 220 outlet. They are
sold in tourist supply places.
Hakko web site shows the two nearest offices to be
HUNGARY PRO-FORELLE BT.
1188. BUDAPEST BANYAI J.U.20 HUNGARY
TEL/FAX: +36-6-1-2941558

ISRAEL HAR ZION ELECTRONICS LTD.
19 HAR-ZION BLVD., TEL-AVIV 61350, ISRAEL
TEL: +972-3-6888-056 FAX: +972-3-6883-763

if that does you any good.
--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/
oups.com...

Old May 7th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

So if you run a big iron for any length of time, and the tip begins to
exceed the melting temperature of lead came, how do you keep from melting
the lead came when you solder? I use a controller, actually rest the tip on
the lead for a couple seconds to get the solder to flow. I obviously
couldn't do that without the controller. Do you actually never touch the
iron tip to the lead directly?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recommend against using a controller but don't try to force people to
work only with our methods or our choice of tools - even when they're
making poor choices. Everyone choses their own personal way to do
everything. I think a controller (any controller) SNUP. Instead of
cutting down the incoming power, you should learn to increase the speed
at which you work. Even with a dinky little Hakko, you can solder at
full temperature. You just can't do it for long before it bags out.
The Weller will hold up a bit longer, but not much.

We even have a few naive individuals in our Cutting Clinics that still
like to cut up scraps of paper for templates to cut glass. We try hard
(VERY hard) to convince them those paper bits are a total waste of time
and paper, but some seem happy dicking about with them so we leave them
to their time wasting practices. It's their time, why would I care if
they use it foolishly? .....whether with an underpowered soldering
iron, or a needlessly complicated cutting practice.

I think Weller's are superior to Hakko 456 (60 watts is completely
inadequate) and inferior to medium and large Hexacons. I think the
Weller and Hakko are suitable for small jobs only. I consider both to
have insufficient power to be adequate for professional studio use on
other than small jobs. We use the Wellers for 3D models and Hexacons
for everything else. The most effective way to convince someone that
the Weller or Hakko is inferior is give them an opporunity to try out
the Hexacon. It's also the most effective way to sell a Hexacon.